Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

Drenk

Ascension.

MacGuffin

Xixax has more lives than a cat.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

max from fearless

Xixax is simply, forever. But no, I felt that Wilder dropped it like it's hot and my feeling as a lurking-kinda-anonymous-been here but haven't gotten bloody yet-newbie with odd-random-post credentials, was simply that everything ebbs and flows, people get older and move on, things die and regenerate. But I did feel like an asshole, lurking and getting so much from this site. Incredible recommendations and sitting on the side of discussions about movies, amongst people who really give a damn and want to make a contribution whenever however to the culture. Yes, the way we discuss and digest stuff has changed. Yes, everyone is on a hype about how TV is now the thing. Fuck the thing, because after that guess what? Another spanking brand new: thing. TV and most definitely not True Detective (which I enjoyed but felt was way overhyped here, but like I said I lurk and I haven't even posted about the end of Louie so really I kinda can't say shit, but think Louie needs to get posted about because it wasn't about the cum shot finale but the build up, the melodies (those two playing their violins) those excursions into Louie's past...sorry where was I...oh yeah TV which) cannot do shot for shot mood and magic and adding shot 'A' with shot 'B' to create this incredible, delicious, mysterious thing called 'C' which happens between the shots. I just don't feel it in TV, maybe The Sopranos/Twin Peaks? got nearest, and Deadwood just had this delicious primal vibe and absolute savagery which occasionally imploded into a jaunty melancholy waltz that cannot be faulted, but deep down in my heart I felt was an extension and an amplification or growth of a seed Altman planted long ago with McCabe and Mrs. Miller: Cinema. The Wire, Breaking Bad and Louie (and so many others) have pushed the TV form forward in so many wonderful ways but is this shit replacing cinema? Movies? No. But anyways fuck-it. I'm going down the wrong road....

Now more than ever a place like Xixax is needed. I've more or less given up on most traditional movie magazines, some websites are on and off cool and some reviewers like Dargis at the NY Times (Jesus, for a second I felt like a supporting player in All the Presidents Men, those cutting rhythms, the way David Shire's score announces itself at the most bizarre time, cinema! movies!) but I mostly get tidbits and links, links to trailers for trailers and links to reviews written by critics forming their opinions just as the end credits on the movie go up the screen of the first press screening and ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's bullshit.

Here, people wrangle with the movies, live with them, break up to them, get married to them, let them seep into their pores, fart them out, exult them and fight for them (sometimes hilariously so but fucking great that's what movies'll do to ya) And that's where I want to be. So, I apologize for lurking more than posting and for not offering more contributions and that's not to say that my new blood is some rejuvenating 3rd Act, twist 'n' save the day bullshit. Of course not, but it's just another perspective, or feeling, or mood, or song on the playlist. Sometimes it feels like this message board is like holding cinema tight in your arms and dancing with her, all slow and manly like and hoping she digs it, as she looks over at some other cooler guy coming in...probably that bad ass motherfucker called Paul Thomas Anderson. Yes, I cannot wait for the new movie. Yes, I'm fucking dying to see the trailer. Like I cannot wait. But like others have said there have been so many great films this year. Just yesterday I fell under the spell of "Exhibition" by Joanna Hogg and the day before "Only Lovers Left Alive" and they'd be great in a double-bill as they both speak to cycles, rejuvenation, dying, seeing the things you love die and dealing with the void that absence leaves, a zombified - easy answers arts culture, interiors, how you view art and objects, how you feel your way around art, musical moments and the balance between high mindedness and just farting it all out in a playful pig-ass way and it all gels with my feelings about Xixax. I come here for the highly considered, encouraging sometimes inspiring perspectives, for surprised (Who saw "Gooses" coming?) and for ideas about movies and what they could be and I also come here to hear the bitching, moaning and sometimes Freddie Quell like farts and laughter about all the highly considered shit above. Fart. Fart. Fart. I fart in your mouth Xixax. More lives than a cat indeed.

Reel

Sooo yesterday Eric Garner was killed by NYPD from a chokehold a la "Do The Right Thing". Today James Garner who played a cop for many years on "The Rockford Files" dies of old age at 86.

Creeeeeeeepppppyyy.

Not really. Just what's in a name, you know?

jennifer garner is next. she will also be choked to death by police.

Drenk

She'll be chocked to death by Affleck's Batsuit.
Ascension.

Ravi

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/thai-action-director-panna-rittikrai-719897

Thai Action Director Panna Rittikrai Dies at 53

Thai actor, stuntman, fight choreographer, producer and director Panna Rittikrai died in a Bangkok hospital on Sunday from acute renal failure following a short battle with liver disease. He was 53.

Rittikrai rose to global prominence alongside action star Tony Jaa after the breakout success of 2003's Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior, a film that put the spotlight on their energetic wire-free and realistic muay boran fighting style.

Rittikrai was a longtime mentor to Jaa and many other Thai action stars.

Born Krittiya Lardphanna in Thailand's North East, Rittikrai's career in the Thai movie industry spanned 30 years as he worked his way from stuntman to acting roles in martial arts films, eventually becoming a respected fight choreographer.

Rittikrai's distinctive and kinetic interpretation of muay boran, an ancient precursor to muay Thai, caught the eye of producer/director Prachya Pinkaew, who showcased the muay boran style in Ong-Bak and cast Jaa as the film's hero.

Following the huge international success of Ong-Bak, Rittikrai turned his hand to directing, helming 2004's Born to Fight as well as the less successful two sequels to Ong-Bak in 2008 and 2010.

Always in demand as a martial arts choreographer, Rattikrai worked on 2011's globally successful Tom Yum Goong (called The Protector in the U.S. and Warrior King in the U.K.), as well as the follow-up released late last year, Tom Yum Goong 2.

wilder

R.I.P. Movie Makeup Icon Dick Smith
via Deadline

Legendary Hollywood makeup artist Dick Smith has died at the age of 92. His protege and fellow makeup genius Rick Baker tweeted the sad news this morning.

"The master is gone. My friend and mentor Dick Smith is no longer with us. The world will not be the same."

Smith's iconic transformations appeared in films such as The Godfather, Taxi Driver and The Exorcist, in which he created the device that allowed Linda Blair to projectile vomit. He also transformed the look of F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus, as he aged in the film from his 40s to his 80s. In 2011, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences presented Smith with an honorary Oscar (Smith's second, his first was for Amadeus) at the Governors Awards. It was presented by Baker who called Smith "my idol, mentor, and friend for over 40 years, the greatest makeup artist of all time". On accepting the award, an emotional, tearful Smith said "When I watch the wonderful films they just showed, I thought, 'What a wonderful career this fellow has had.' I have loved being a makeup artist. To have had so much kindness is just too much."

Earlier in his career, he worked on the vampire soap opera Dark Shadows, a project he credited with being valuable preparation for the 1970 film Little Big Man. In Dark Shadows, vampire Barnabas Collins was undergoing medical treatment to change him into a living human being. The experiment went awry and Barnabas began aging quickly, appearing as a man more than 175 years old.

His other notable work includes features The Sunshine Boys, The Deer Hunter, Starman and Altered States. Smith also won an Emmy for his work on Mark Twain Tonight! (1967).

Tictacbk

Was hoping this was an internet hoax, but it's looking like it isn't...

RIP Robin Williams.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63/

max from fearless

This is friggin sad as hell. Suicide? Depression? Really really sad.

RIP Robin.

ono

At first I thought it was a Carradine-type thing, but no, worse still.  It's a shame.  He even checked into rehab not too long ago, and still couldn't get things quite straightened out.  He had accomplished so much, and still had so much to give.  I would have loved to see him as an old man actor.

Reel

This one cuts deep. As someone who's battled depression for ten years now, it confirms that the fight is truly never over, is it? You look at this guy who's had such a great career, made all of us laugh our asses off, and yet there was always this alcoholic-depressive side of him we only caught wind of because of his brief stints in rehabs over the years. I don't know how much he talked about it publicly, but I'm sure he found a way to put a funny spin on it. The way he turned himself on for a crowd, it was obvious he was chasing some dopamine rush. I was exhausted just to watch his edited down 2 hour 'Inside The Actors Studio' interview, when actually it was a marathon 5 hour session, the longest in the show's history. I wonder if that footage will turn up now?

He was a big part of how I became a cinephile. Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire are some of the first movies I watched religiously as a kid, and Doubtfire still stands as my all time 'sick day' movie. Then, discovering 'The World According To Garp' in my early teens set me on this journey to seek out films as wildly brash and unpredictable as that. It really opened my mind to what great movies could be. Then there's 'Dead Poets Society', 'Good Will Hunting', 'One Hour Photo', all movies that really stood out for me in my teens and left me wanting more. His character 'Sy' in 'One Hour Photo' is simply one of the saddest portrayals of a human being I've ever seen. He's so restrained and violent as opposed to the Robin we're used to, most of what's scary about that film is seeing him go to such a dark place with no sense of levity at all, it's almost like you're watching a man possessed in that performance.

Then we come to 'World's Greatest Dad' which in my opinion is by far his best movie, and reflecting on it's subject matter, so disturbing in light of this news today. He and Bobcat Goldthwait were supposedly really close friends and had both been going through a dark chapter in their lives at the time, Bobcat with a divorce and Robin having relapses. This movie just seems to be a giant 'fuck you' to everybody, there's such a bitter tone to it that you can't help but read as becoming directly from those guys. I can just imagine them giddy together talking about it in it's early stages, like "let's make this one HURT."

Aw, man... I knew it was a sad day for a reason, I'd been feeling 'off'. It's so shocking to see guys like him and Phillip Seymour Hoffmann go by their own hand. You feel like you know them so intimately from how they've bared themselves onstage and assume they have that sort of confidence in real life, but their willingness to go to such lengths in itself proves that there must be a deeply troubled person somewhere inside trying to get out. You just wish that these guys who've gained so much of your respect through their work could have left with a little more dignity. You want to see them winning and on top of it all before they reach their end, instead of being beaten down by life. Even so, it's always at times like this where we're forced to look back on their body of work, and you can't help but think "Goddamn, they gave a lot of themselves" and appreciate that they were at least a part of our lives in some small way. 

So, recently on the show 'Maron' ( which Bobcat Goldthwait directs ) there's a line where Marc says that his Robin Williams interview is what broke the show and brought it to a wider audience. I had been considering giving it a listen before, now, what else is there I can do?

http://www.wtfpod.com

BB

Tictacbk

I watched this tonight (no offense to Lauren Bacall, I'll watch something for you too), and I thought I'd share it:

It's Robin William's standup special from 1978. It's the type of stuff we've come to associate with him - Batshit crazy, hard to follow sometimes, but usually very entertaining. Around the 34 minute mark he does a bit where he's playing himself in the future as an old man. It starts off as a fairly standard "the future is weird" bit, but then it transforms into a somewhat straight forward, well acted monologue.  It's great, and it's sad. RIP.

N

Robin Williams AmA from less than a year ago. He's pretty open about a lot of things. Worth reading if you haven't already, he makes some good jokes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1n41x1/robin_williams_its_time_for_a_convoluted_stream/