SAM RAIMI

Started by modage, June 22, 2003, 10:03:55 PM

Find Your Magali

A fantastically fun and funny horror director who has been a pleasant surprise in his jump into "mainstream" films. A Simple Plan is a stellar film. I think his only misstep, and it's a big one, was "For Love of the Game." Costner goes to the well once too often with baseball, and the result is an insipid bit of treacle. And I HATE it when a movie gets sports strategy or logic or terminology wrong. I wish this movie didn't exist. It's like "The Godfather: Part III" of Costner's baseball trilogy. Wish it back to the cornfield.

Steve McQueen's ghost

What terminology was wrong? I don't remember.

and

I liked Godfather 3!!!!!
;-)

Andy Garcia is cool. There were some good moments in there!!!
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

Good soundtrack too!

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostWhat terminology was wrong? I don't remember.

I can't remember exactly, and I'm loathe to sit through it again. ... I seem to recollect, though, that around the 7th inning, with the game still scoreless, John C. Reilly's character (Costner's catcher) gets a single for Detroit, and the Yankees subsequently issue an intentional walk to the next batter, for no reason I could ever begin to fathom. Reilly eventually scores the go-ahead run.

Weak2ndAct

No one here likes The Gift?  With that movie and A Simple Plan, I thought Raimi was going to evolve into this great director of mature, smart thrillers... and then fucking Spider-Man comes out.  I love comics and will see comic book movies... but Jesus H., ANYONE could have done this one ('cept for a Campbell cameo I guess).  I only hope that after the sequel makes a billion dollars, he'll be able to get the coin for Evil Dead 4.  We need more Ash.

Cecil

the gift sucked. spider man rocked. thats all i have to say about that

modage

Quote from: Weak2ndActANYONE could have done this one.

yeah really?  except for no one did.  have you really seen The Punisher?  Captain America?  Daredevil?  its not that easy to make a good superhero movie.  actually, it seems pretty fucking hard considering how many bad ones have been attempted.  it was Raimis style and passion for the character that made Spider-Man the success that it was.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Weak2ndActANYONE could have done this one.

yeah really?  except for no one did.  have you really seen The Punisher?  Captain America?  Daredevil?  its not that easy to make a good superhero movie.  actually, it seems pretty fucking hard considering how many bad ones have been attempted.  it was Raimis style and passion for the character that made Spider-Man the success that it was.

Actually, believe or not, I've seen all those movies.  The first two had the budget of Spider-Man's catering fees-- if that.  As for Daredevil, I'm not sure quite who to point the finger at on that one.  I read the script and thought it was terrific... but that's not quite what ended up on the screen.  There's talk of budget problems and forced cuts, but who knows.  Spider-Man had an astronomical budget and even more advertising/cross-promoting.  And in doing so, they had to make the safest, blandest movie possible to appeal to biggest audience.  I mean, the effects were blah (that climatic fight being the most blatant), and how many times to we have to see a wall blow up behind someone?  Sure, Raimi might love the comic, but I certainly don't think his 'style' made it a winner.

Cecil

who do you think shouldve directed spider man?

Weak2ndAct

I don't know and I don't care, that's fantasy talk.  All I care about is what I paid to see... and didn't like.  Let's just agree to disagree.

modage

according to an article at AICN, Evil Dead 4 is a possibility.

Sam Raimi - 'I would love to do the 4th Evil Dead film!'

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16285
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Sam Raimi to Produce & Direct American Gothic?
Source: Moviehole Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Moviehole sent us this update on the American Gothic, which has been long in the works.

Fathom Pictures have been trying continuously to get an "American Gothic" movie off the ground. For those that don't recall, the series starred Gary Cole as a small-town Sheriff, who might also be the Devil. Many said it wouldn't happen – the remake that is – but 'Craig' from the studio dropped in today with an encouraging update, signalling that, well, the movie may be happening.

"Little Magic Films, a company known more for their distribution efforts in Japan, are going to be the financial partners with Fathom on 'American Gothic', assuming we can get the final approvals from Universal. Kiki Miyake is the President (and American representative for the company). The big hold-up right now is the pending sale of Universal to NBC. They are anticipating it to be done with by Christmas, but other think it will be longer. The question that holds us in limbo is personnel. Are the people that we are dealing with now still going to be here when the deal is done, or do we have to do it again with new faces? They are hesitant to make any decisions based on that. I anticipate something to solidly pan out by Spring. Everything else is still the same."

Fathom's plans are to do a new film version of the Sam Raimi exec. produced series, which much of the same cast. Raimi is in talks to Direct and Produce, with Brenda Bakke, Lucas Black and Jake Weber attached to star.

Other projects on the studios slate include "The Sign", to star Harry Connick Jr and Jake Weber, about a Jewish professor who is kidnapped by a cult, and "Vegas Wings", to be directed by Christopher Cain, which John Travolta is in talks to star in as a small town crop duster who gets recruited to fly with the big wigs.

godardian

Quote from: Cecilthe gift sucked. spider man rocked. thats all i have to say about that

Ooh, I feel exactly the opposite way. I really liked The Gift.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

I really liked American Gothic for the first handful of episodes. Good creepy southern-fried Twin Peaks-ish television.

modage

Sam Raimi to Direct The Wee Free Men
Source: Variety January 10, 2006

"Spider-Man" franchise director Sam Raimi will helm The Wee Free Men, an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's bestselling young-adult novel, reports Variety.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has acquired the book and set Pamela Pettler (Monster House, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride) to write the script.

Raimi and Josh Donen will produce through their Sony-based company, along with Created By's Vince Gerardis and Ralph Vicinanza. The trade says the studio is aiming to develop an event-sized live-action family film that Raimi could possibly direct as the follow-up to Spider-Man 3.

Published in 2003, "Wee Free Men" centers on a 9-year-old farm girl who heads off to a parallel world to retrieve a brother who has been grabbed by a nasty fairy queen. She battles the monsters of Fairyland with the help of 6-inch-tall blue-faced rowdies who wear kilts, speak in thick Scottish brogues, steal sheep and drink heavily.

The novel is part of the British author's Disc World series, whose volumes are big sellers around the world.

Pettler is also writing 9, a CGI fantasy for Focus Features that Burton is producing and Shane Acker is directing, and is rewriting Nick Tungsten, Nightmare Hunter for director Doug Liman at Paramount and Nickelodeon. Pettler is also set to adapt Roald Dahl novel The Twits for Disney and Vanguard.

Ravi

Just finished watching Darkman.  The story contains few surprises once the skin regeneration angle appears, but Raimi's style and Liam Neeson's presence carry the film.