nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenSeriously, I almost guarantee that the folks who vote for PDL don't even own Straw Dogs or Fear & Loathing.
What about Casablanca? Huh? .... Anyone?

"Is this thing on? Nothing."

SoNowThen

I refuse to believe that a non-Criterion dvd could ever come close to a CC.

:wink:

I don't work for them, I swear.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI refuse to believe that a non-Criterion dvd could ever come close to a CC.

:wink:

I don't work for them, I swear.

We all wish we did, though. Hell, I'd be happy just to meet the people at Criterion who are doing all this fine work for cinema, let alone actually get to work for them!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

I'd be happy just to meet them, tell them they're doing such a great job, and that if they needed anymore volunteers/employees, that they can reach can reach me right outside their offices -- because that's where I'll be sleeping.

Pubrick

the only reasons PDL gets as much mention as it does is:

1- it's the last thing pta has done
2- a lot of the ppl praising it were too late to gush over magnolia so they're latching on to this one like it's a huge revelation or even half as important as his previous two. not that it even matters cos it's the dvd not the movie being judged. and seriously TWO DISCS and all u get is a mattress commercial? that's a joke in any language.
3- gamblor was right. we just aren't ready for the complexity of a dvd category.

u know, and what, so being an admin i can't make a joke? let's see here, like 8 ppl thought it was funny, 4 or sumthin freaked out and had their realities shattered. calm the fuck down. i'm voting for PDL anyway.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: CinephileI'd be happy just to meet them, tell them they're doing such a great job, and that if they needed anymore volunteers/employees, that they can reach can reach me right outside their offices -- because that's where I'll be sleeping.

wanna send them an e-mail together?
context, context, context.

©brad

Quote from: Pu know, and what, so being an admin i can't make a joke? let's see here, like 8 ppl thought it was funny, 4 or sumthin freaked out and had their realities shattered. calm the fuck down. i'm voting for PDL anyway.

bwahahahah.

that is all.

NEON MERCURY

.....i'm voting for the PDL single disk.......i hate  phucking slip cases...:wink:

abuck1220

QuoteVoting for PDL to be best dvd is as fucking retarded as not voting Kill Bill for best cinematography.

or gerry for best cinematography!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pseriously TWO DISCS and all u get is a mattress commercial? that's a joke in any language.

This is true.  

I waited way too damn long for PDL, and it comes out ina flimsy case with few worthwhile special features.  At least a commentary, but NO.  Just a matress man commercial, although funny, not worth the wait.

The movie itself was awesome, but the features were lacking.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajooband it comes out ina flimsy case
Explain.  :?:   I thought the packaging was flawless.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajooband it comes out ina flimsy case
Explain.  :?:   I thought the packaging was flawless.

Nah, see, so many hate the snap cases, but I dig them. It's these slip cover cases (all PTA dvds minus HE) that I can't stand. They get damaged so easily -- I was looking at my Magnolia yesterday, and the edges are just fucking mangled -- and this is coming from a guy who practically uses tongs and gloves to touch his discs...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

My slip cases look beautiful to this day... the standard cases, on the other hand, look all dented and creased and just plain ugly.  

The ONLY advantage the standards (not cardboard snappers, of course, only Pic likes those) have over the slips is that they can be replaced.

SoNowThen

Ever had to do a move, though? Even the most delicate of boxing your dvds will always = frays in the edges of the slip cases...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate(not cardboard snappers, of course, only Pic likes those)
Oh God, cardboard snappers... reminds me too much of the botched Kubrick set...