Superjail!

Started by private witt, January 29, 2009, 04:27:36 PM

private witt

I'm not a fan of gratuitous violence (even in cartoon form), but somehow this transcends my aversion and becomes something so maddeningly ridiculous and unstoppable and hilarious that I cannot turn myself away.  In a world of computer generated movement and rotoscoped animation it's refreshing to see something totally hand drawn.  This montage doesn't do the show justice, but it's a good place to start:

"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Pedro

The whole Adult Swim sense of humor may be the worst thing that's ever happened to comedy.

SiliasRuby

Other than Futurama and home movies you are right pedro.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

private witt

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on February 01, 2009, 02:55:20 PM
The whole Adult Swim sense of humor may be the worst thing that's ever happened to comedy.

Then you'll hate this: 
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

private witt

Also, most of the shows on Adult Swim are totally improvised dialog, the same as Reno 9:11 and Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Maybe that's the reason these shows aren't to your liking.

Pedro

The fact that the dialog is improvised has nothing to do with my dislike.  I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.  My problem stems from the impatient editing and overuse of non-sequiturs. 

Also, there's a show about a talking ass.  Brilliant. 

private witt

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on February 01, 2009, 06:45:37 PM
The fact that the dialog is improvised has nothing to do with my dislike.  I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.  My problem stems from the impatient editing and overuse of non-sequiturs. 

Also, there's a show about a talking ass.  Brilliant. 

Yeah, I forgot about that one.  That one's terrible.  Is Robot Chicken on Adult Swim or Comedy Central?  Because I can't stand that show either.

Stefen

I used to like The Brak Show. I don't think it's been on for 5 years or so. Not a fan of anything else I've ever seen on Adult Swim. Not really my cup of tea.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

private witt

RegularKarate

Disagree completely.

There is certainly a bunch of crap that comes out of AS, but the creative freedom they give to the content providers results in a lot of great stuff.

Home Movies
Space Ghost: Coast To Coast
Tom Goes to the Mayor
Tim and Eric: Awesome Show, Great Job

These are all great things that have pushed comedy to new places and brought us brilliant writers and performers.

Sure, after the first couple of seasons Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sealab got really predictable, overdone and became some really strange definition of what people though adult swim should be, but the amount of good stuff that comes out balances that to me.

Oh, and if you don't like Venture Bros. then you can't be my friend.

private witt

It's simply a different kind of comedy: absurdism.  And Venture Brothers deserves an Emmy.

clerkguy23

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 02, 2009, 05:03:10 PM

Disagree completely.

There is certainly a bunch of crap that comes out of AS, but the creative freedom they give to the content providers results in a lot of great stuff.

Home Movies
Space Ghost: Coast To Coast
Tom Goes to the Mayor
Tim and Eric: Awesome Show, Great Job

I'm gonna add Morel Orel, Metalocalypse, and Xavier: Renegade Angel to that list. All great shows, specifically Home Movies and Metalocalypse.