Best movie so far this decade?

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 04, 2003, 04:44:12 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: SHAFTRI honestly believe Punch-Drunk Love.

it makes a great  choice......and  maybe the ice storm.....and as for pure Hollyw$$D...american beauty......

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: SHAFTRI honestly believe Punch-Drunk Love.

it makes a great  choice......and  maybe the ice storm.....and as for pure Hollyw$$D...american beauty......

hahaha...damn i wasn't thinking ....ice storm is 97 i think and i  forgot about beauty.....being 99...i  had those on my mind b/c i plan on watching one of those two tonight.....

but i woul dadd requiem for a dream....and the pledge

pete

the royal tenenbaums was pretty cool too.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....as for best decade 2000-10 ...easy... its mulholland dr.
i really like mulholland, but i just could never give it best film of the decade, because every time i watch it i cant help but notice how its shot like a tv show.  the production values are that of tv, and certain choices as far as the way it was shot seem to be restricted due to the format.  while the actual story is 100x more complex than most anything on tv, i still cant wholeheartedly look at it as a film, (or BEST film for that matter)>
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

ono

Lost in Translation.  I just saw it on the big screen last night for the second time.  Great films only get better with repeat viewings.  This time was even greater, 'cause it was with a packed crowd, and all the laughs just resonated even more, and the ending was even more poignant.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02i really like mulholland, but i just could never give it best film of the decade, because every time i watch it i cant help but notice how its shot like a tv show.  the production values are that of tv, and certain choices as far as the way it was shot seem to be restricted due to the format.
You're kidding.

How are the production values like TV? I don't sense any "restrictions" (like what? commercial breaks?) anywhere in the movie.

Would you have that opinion without the knowledge that it might have been a pilot?

SoNowThen

Nah, I agree with mod, it does look kinda tv cheap (kinda blah lighting/design). I say KINDA, not bad, please no hellfire.

Best movie of the decade, on this board should it even be a question??

Agnoliamay
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: themodernage02i really like mulholland, but i just could never give it best film of the decade, because every time i watch it i cant help but notice how its shot like a tv show.  the production values are that of tv, and certain choices as far as the way it was shot seem to be restricted due to the format.
You're kidding.

How are the production values like TV? I don't sense any "restrictions" (like what? commercial breaks?) anywhere in the movie.

Would you have that opinion without the knowledge that it might have been a pilot?
the lighting, i believe he's most likely speaking of...though it really fits the film...notice, the more bizarre the film gets, the less television like the lighting becomes...

SHAFTR

In the Mood for Love is also a notable film.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenBest movie of the decade, on this board should it even be a question??

Agnoliamay
that's 99 dude.

the few great, true post-millennium films of the last 4 years are:
- Spirited Away
- mul drive
- Waking life
- HULK
- Ghost World
- amores perros

some of those, such as HULK, are so future/now that they will remain unappreciated for at least another decade. typically the unversally accepted "best" of the Naughties will come at the very end. it'll be most interesting, cos ppl seem to be sleeping through this decade, as u can see here already.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Oh THIS DECADE as in 2000's... sorry, I thought it was just "last ten years". My bad.

I'll go with ITMFL for sure then.

soixante

Traffic so far, followed closely by Mystic River, Gosford Park and Black & White.

There are plenty of good films -- I was worried that the creative renaissance of the 90's wouldn't continue into this decade, but so far, there has been an abundance of great stuff.  It is certainly better than the 80's.
Music is your best entertainment value.

xerxes

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaLost in Translation.

i think i'll have to second that