Oscar Predictions and Final Awards Comments

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2004, 12:31:11 PM

SoNowThen

But on that note, didn't Lardner say the finished product of Mash didn't contain any of his script (or something like that?), and Nashville was just a clump of pages with situations and character descriptions, but almost no dialogue, and that's argueably Altman's best film...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: soixanteAltman certainly has a nice sense of composition, but he also likes to "ruin" shots by panning or zooming

Take the quotation marks off of "ruin" and that more accurately expresses what I was trying to say about his visual style.

But like I said, he's got lots of admirers whom I admire so how can you not give him respect but I think that, especially now, he's let himself get way, way behind.

SoNowThen

except in Short Cuts, where he did the best work of his career
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

Quote from: SoNowThenand Nashville ... that's argueably Altman's best film...

Quote from: SoNowThenexcept in Short Cuts, where he did the best work of his career

SoNowThen

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: SoNowThenand Nashville ... that's argueably Altman's best film...

Quote from: SoNowThenexcept in Short Cuts, where he did the best work of his career

To clarify:

Some may argue that Nashville is Altman's best film. I however, place Short Cuts above it. It seems that this is not a popular opinion, so in light of film history, Nashville is considered his pinnacle.

cine

... It's funny scrolling up and down watching Trintignant's face go from no stache, to stache, and then back to no stache. And so on.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Cinephile... It's funny scrolling up and down watching Trintignant's face go from no stache, to stache, and then back to no stache. And so on.

Better be careful. You could be the next to get stached...

wait. never mind.

cine

Well if he starts a 'fan of the fro,' I'm fucked.

SHAFTR

I'm behind, but some observations.

Some of the criticism levied at Altman are some of the exact same ones that were once said about Renoir.  Those two are very similiar directors, acting first and style comes along with it.

I agree with Cinephile on Eastwood, I was hoping he'd win.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

RegularKarate

To be honest, I tried to stache the T... it wasn't working... maybe I'll have to go fro further down the road.

tpfkabi

am i dreaming or did they show Jason Schwartzman right before they announced Penn's win.......i could've swore that.....well, you know when the have the nominees in little boxes showing them live.........they showed showed Schwartzman and even had his name printed on there

i don't know why i would make this up........i did see the INdependent awards Sun afternoon, but i don't even think Schwartzman had any major roles this past year

does anyone have a tape so they can check real fast?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

bonanzataz

Quote from: bigideasam i dreaming or did they show Jason Schwartzman right before they announced Penn's win.......i could've swore that.....well, you know when the have the nominees in little boxes showing them live.........they showed showed Schwartzman and even had his name printed on there

i don't know why i would make this up........i did see the INdependent awards Sun afternoon, but i don't even think Schwartzman had any major roles this past year

does anyone have a tape so they can check real fast?

???

i remember seeing him in a commercial for a new ABC sitcom during the show. he wasn't nominated for anything, if that's what you're asking...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

no, he's right.  during the cinematography award (i believe) the nominated "John Schwartzman" wasnt shown.  instead it was Jason.  i can only assume this was a huge mistake.  but i did a double take when it happened.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: themodernage02no, he's right.  during the cinematography award (i believe) the nominated "John Schwartzman" wasnt shown.  instead it was Jason.  i can only assume this was a huge mistake.  but i did a double take when it happened.

haha I noticed that too. Wasn't Jason laughing as soon as he noticed?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.