Golden Globes tonight!

Started by Chest Rockwell, January 25, 2004, 06:10:52 PM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Chest RockwellBest Director: Peter Jackson - LotR: Return of the King
:? ....I'm backing Coppola
coppola made a great movie, but she got the writing award already and well deserved.  but as far as DIRECTING goes, she hired two great actors and followed them around tokyo for a few weeks.  jackson spent 7 years of his life putting together this fucking series, which is to be contested, atleast ONE of the greatest trilogies, so for the effort, its jacksons award.

Touche, but I love Lost in Translation so much more...and it's so much more out-of-the-box then LotR....granted that's probably why it was the screenplay instead of directing. But as a movie I prefer Lost in Translation any old day over LotR

NEON MERCURY

you knnow whats super funnnny???

seabiscut really is the dark horse in the best pic drama category......

Chest Rockwell

Best Foreign Language Film: Osama - Afghanistan

Good bye, Lenin! - Germany.
Invasions barbares, Les - Canada
Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran - France
Vozvrashcheniye - Russia

Didn't see any of them....so i have no opinion

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Chest RockwellBest Foreign Language Film:

...... :? ..what kind of laguage do they speak in Canada...thats foreign to the US???

Chest Rockwell

Best Actress, Drama: Charlize Theron - Monster

Nicole Kidman - Cold Mountain
Scarlett Johansson - Girl with a Pearl Earring
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill vol. I
Evan Rachel Wood - Thirteen
Cate Blanchett - Veronica Guerin

Grrr...and Scarlett leaves empty-handed.....

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Chest RockwellBest Foreign Language Film:

...... :? ..what kind of laguage do they speak in Canada...thats foreign to the US???

French

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellTouche, but I love Lost in Translation so much more...and it's so much more out-of-the-box then LotR....granted that's probably why it was the screenplay instead of directing. But as a movie I prefer Lost in Translation any old day over LotR
but its best DIRECTION, not best FILM.  i prefer lit also, but i think thats besides the point.  just because i prefer the film doesnt mean i dont appreciate that the task of directing Return of the King was so much bigger than LiT.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Best Comedy or Musical: Lost in Translation

Bend it Like Beckham
Big Fish
Finding Nemo
Love Actually

YAY!!!

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Chest RockwellTouche, but I love Lost in Translation so much more...and it's so much more out-of-the-box then LotR....granted that's probably why it was the screenplay instead of directing. But as a movie I prefer Lost in Translation any old day over LotR
but its best DIRECTION, not best FILM.  i prefer lit also, but i think thats besides the point.  just because i prefer the film doesnt mean i dont appreciate that the task of directing Return of the King was so much bigger than LiT.

Touche again, and I'm fine with Jackson winning since, as you say, he did undertake a massive project, but the direction of LotR is so conventional,textbook-type. Lost in Translation's direction is much more originally done. That's just my opinion, though, I suppose

Chest Rockwell

Best Drama: LotR: Return of the King

Cold mountain
Master and Commander: Far side of the World
Mystic River
Seabiscuit

I'm OK with this....Mystic River was better, though.

Chest Rockwell

That's all, folks. Hope my little running tally was helpful for anyone (everyone was probably watching it anyway). I think Lost in Translation did pretty good, so I'm happy. I wish Scarlett could have won something, but oh well. All in all, a good presentation, and a good list of winners, IMO.

©brad

glad sofia and peter got their well-deserved trophies.

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaYep yep.  I'm in the chat, just like I said.

we should definitely do one for the oscars.

Lt. Col Baby Dinosaur

Could someone atleast give the highlights of Murray's speech.  I didn't get a chance to see him win.  Thanks in advance.

Stefen

Well that awards show was uneventful. Not one politically charged rant or noticeably drunk presenter/winner. I didn't even notice any accidental nudity. Better luck at the oscars hopefully.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Myxo

Quote from: Chest RockwellWell I'm heavily depressed Scarlett didn't win Lost in Translation...but Bill Murray made up for it. I would have killed myself if one of them didn't win.

Scarlett was great in LIT. That said, she wasn't nearly as amazing as Theron was in Monster. Her transformation was even more amazing than Kidman's was in Hours. If she'd been up against her last year I think Kidman would still have won, but Theron's was a better performance.