Potential... but no...

Started by SoNowThen, January 08, 2004, 04:27:19 PM

SoNowThen

Dune, Ali, Man On The Moon = all perfect examples.

Taxi Driver & Vertigo... come on, people. These ALWAYS get mentioned as their directors' best films.

When I think of how good those top three should have been, it pisses me off but big time.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

Quote from: SoNowThenDune, Ali, Man On The Moon = all perfect examples.

Taxi Driver & Vertigo... come on, people. These ALWAYS get mentioned as their directors' best films.

When I think of how good those top three should have been, it pisses me off but big time.

Haha yeah me too. When I saw Man on the Moon I was more mad than sad of how disapointing it was.

Alethia

yeah i thought it sucked too, but jim carrey was good at least....

SoNowThen

Wasn't Giamatti (sp?) in that? The lounge lizard stuff was great. But damn I hated the rest of that fucking movie. And everyone went on and on about it at first. I'm glad time has revealed that one to be a limp noodle...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

Pas

Ocean's eleven, considering the cast and director ... maybe it doesn't really fit though, because we all knew it would suck after all

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pas RapportOcean's eleven, considering the cast and director ... maybe it doesn't really fit though, because we all knew it would suck after all

I'm firmly convinced to this day that the only thing holding it back from being among the great popcorn movies is it's resolution scene. All we needed was a shot of them all drinking on a beach somewhere, and it would have been all good. But instead we get this retarded, almost to-be-continued type of scene... urgh...

(oh, I assume your talking about the remake, right?)

Pas

Quote from: SoNowThen
I'm firmly convinced to this day that the only thing holding it back from being among the great popcorn movies is it's resolution scene. All we needed was a shot of them all drinking on a beach somewhere, and it would have been all good. But instead we get this retarded, almost to-be-continued type of scene... urgh...

(oh, I assume your talking about the remake, right?)

Oh, yes, I was talking about the remake. Actually, as for as pop corn movie goes, I guess it was ok ... but talent obviously got wasted there.

Sanjuro

yes satyricon for me also.  i was so excited to see this....blind bought (shouldve gotten amarcord instead heheh) maybe i jsut need to see it again. i remember it picking up in its later parts.

the discreet charm of the bourgjedjkdsjfk (sp).  brilliant directing and idea, but it seemed like after i got what bunuel was doing in the movie it started to get too repetetive.  i really wanted to like bunuel because everyone here was saying how lynch is greatly influenced by him but (based on this film only though) its like hed do better in other fields of art.  i plan to watch this again though and im trying to get a copy of his other films...
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

RegularKarate

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

kotte

I hate the Ocean's eleven bashing. I loved it. Loved it!

I can't see how talent got wasted there...the direction is anything else than flawless. The actors? You can see they all are having a blast and it communicates wonderfully to the audience...

In my opinion, the only thing that didn't work was Julia Roberts as the hottie. But she's great anyway.

How the fuck can you say 'we all knew it was gonna suck anyways'? I don't get it.[/i]

slice

death to smoochy had an amazing premise, cast (robin williams, edward norton, jon stewart), and trailer yet it  t - e - r - r - i - b - l - e

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: kotteI hate the Ocean's eleven bashing. I loved it. Loved it!

I can't see how talent got wasted there...the direction is anything else than flawless. The actors? You can see they all are having a blast and it communicates wonderfully to the audience...

In my opinion, the only thing that didn't work was Julia Roberts as the hottie. But she's great anyway.

How the fuck can you say 'we all knew it was gonna suck anyways'? I don't get it.[/i]

I loved it, too. I've seen the movie like three times since it was released and am continually impressed with how precise, smart and talented it is in the movie it is trying to be. The film may suffer from an Out of Sight blacklash too. Ocean's Eleven is clearly Soderbergh trying to out-Hollywood Hollywood in its style of filmmaking these days when Out of Sight was able to represent indepedent filmmaking in some ways. People could have been expecting a different movie with the reteaming of Soderbergh and Clooney.

And with comments like "we all knew it was gonna suck anyways", there is no legitimacy. These threads are continually filled people just bashing movies and others defending them and no analysis to get beyond basic arguing. Its easy to allow someone to disagree with you when they explain themselves because you feel there is at least respect given to the movie when putting it down. This hardly happens anymore.

kotte

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: kotteI hate the Ocean's eleven bashing. I loved it. Loved it!

I loved it, too. I've seen the movie like three times since it was released and am continually impressed with how precise, smart and talented it is in the movie it is trying to be. The film may suffer from an Out of Sight blacklash too. Ocean's Eleven is clearly Soderbergh trying to out-Hollywood Hollywood in its style of filmmaking these days when Out of Sight was able to represent indepedent filmmaking in some ways. People could have been expecting a different movie with the reteaming of Soderbergh and Clooney.

And with comments like "we all knew it was gonna suck anyways", there is no legitimacy. These threads are continually filled people just bashing movies and others defending them and no analysis to get beyond basic  arguing. Its easy to allow someone to disagree with you when they explain themselves because you feel there is at least respect given to the movie when putting it down. This hardly happens anymore.

I know you hate the Coens but my dream would have been this film...directed by the Coens...the writing is very Coen-esque...

godardian

Quote from: slicedeath to smoochy had an amazing premise, cast (robin williams, edward norton, jon stewart), and trailer yet it  t - e - r - r - i - b - l - e

I'm on board with this. That silhouette was pretty damn funny, but not nearly worth sitting through that whole film.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.