The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Fernando

:bravo:

astronomical expectations reinstated.  :yabbse-smiley:

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: samsong on May 30, 2011, 06:29:49 PM
THIS is the unhinged and unprecedented spiritual movie experience that some of you somehow got from enduring enter the void.  

I tuned out after this line.  Just goes to show your experience is between you and the screen.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

P Heat

Quote from: Reelist on May 30, 2011, 12:36:44 AM
who can enjoy a movie sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers? I can't, even with one other person it skeeves me out sometimes.

this.

Also why the more i keep hearing about this film the more it sounds like a 2001esqe type?? almost like its this era's version 
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

samsong

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 30, 2011, 11:28:17 PM
Quote from: samsong on May 30, 2011, 06:29:49 PM
THIS is the unhinged and unprecedented spiritual movie experience that some of you somehow got from enduring enter the void.  

I tuned out after this line.  Just goes to show your experience is between you and the screen.

versus...?

socketlevel

ya i was thinking, that's all samsong is saying himself. I happen to agree with him regarding enter the void, and it's good to hear he gives TOL that vote of approval. Still hasn't come out in Toronto yet :(
the one last hit that spent you...

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

It's weird to say but the Enter the Void crack reminded me that everyone tries to sell movies to other people a certain way, good or bad.  But you can't dispute matters of taste, and I simply need to see the movie for myself.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Gold Trumpet

Hah, Enter the Void gets another easy slight in passing. I'm still waiting for serious contention against the film. As far as Tree of Life goes, I have always been sure it had more limbs for discussion than what a few first time viewing experiences we're going to say. Doesn't matter whether those initial reviews were positive or negative.

cinemanarchist

I can't wait for this thread to light up once everyone has seen it. That's going to be a thing of beauty.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

The Perineum Falcon

Seeing it this weekend in Atl; anybody else planning on going Saturday? Tis my birthday weekend, and I couldn't ask for a better present. :bravo:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

matt35mm

I'm going to see it tonight at a special screening. I don't expect that I'll say much about it until the weekend, though, just because it always takes me a while to figure out what I think.

Reinhold

i'm right there with you, samsong. i think you put together a really great description of the film. Tree Of Life is also far and away my favorite film by Malick. I just found it to be stunning and beautiful and big. Each scene's tone was also masterfully manipulated-- so much just felt like memories feel to me. I love films about the workings of people's minds and this was a great one. What I enjoyed the most was that despite its thematic scale there was no pretense of omniscience. i felt that the whole thing probably started as the best campfire story ever... with those asides and pauses and inflection preserved in the film.

It reminded me a lot more of The Mirror by Tarkovsky but with the wandering camera i definitely see why enter the void could enter the conversation. I left that film (etv) feeling like i'd love to see something visually similar to it but made by an intellectual or by someone who is more concerned with thematic beauty than "making the audience feel stoned."
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

lol@mod and pubrick beefing in the news headlines.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I saw it
it was quiet awe inspiring
I paid too much attention to the direction of the light
he made a story out of very vivid memories. I think if Mr. Rogers were to make a film for adults, it'd be something like this - turning drama out of things children go through, and really getting in there, in a way only old souls can. this is where the likes of spike lee and dave eggers have failed. this is miyazaki style storytelling and observation, except miyazaki's not interested in exploring devastating flaws within humanity that scar for ages. this film finds drama and storytelling in childhood memories, honing in on the fuzzy parts. for example, it vividly recalls what it's like the first time to steal from someone - the suspense, the guilty, and the queasiness that would shape someone's childhood, and places something that seems nostalgic and fancy free in a larger context, against family put under duress, against a generation of grudges, against the backdrop of our humanity. it's a family drama without the melodrama. I like what the film has to say, and by taking his memories so seriously and dignified, humanizing problems of a suburban white family in the context of the world's creation does not seem too overstated.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

That's the review I've been waiting for.  Thanks, Pete.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway