Napoleon Dynamite

Started by picolas, April 15, 2004, 12:52:45 AM

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateExcept those films have plots and multi-dimensional characters.
yeah. :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Well I thought it was rather hilarious.

Just Withnail

New marquee right there: "We give thumbs up to plots and multi-dimensional characters."

ono

You should post that in, well, y'know ... the actual thread.

Just Withnail

Yeah, I know, I did it just two seconds ago. I do the threads as they are listed, and Idle Chatter is at the bottom of the first column, so...

I figured why not post it here first so people could actually see what I was alluding to.

modage

how about just "We Dont Need Plots and Multi-Dimensional Characters to be Hilarious".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Napoleon Dynamite Gets Five Extra Minutes
Source: Fox Searchlight Pictures Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Fox Searchlight, MTV Films and Paramount Pictures will make cinematic history when they attach a five-minute epilogue to the feature film Napoleon Dynamite for its wide expansion. The epilogue offers a peek into the future of Napoleon and his friends. It's the wedding of the century, but whose is it? Napoleon? Kip? Uncle Rico? Tina?

Shot on June 22 and 23 in Preston, Idaho, the epilogue, directed by Jared Hess from a script he co-wrote with wife Jerusha, was a response to the growing success of their feature debut and the loyal devotion of their fans. Napoleon Dynamite will expand wide to over 350 screens across the country and the epilogue will be attached to each print.

Fox Searchlight's President of Marketing Nancy Utley said of the unprecedented move, "Fans of 'Napoleon Dynamite' nationwide have fallen in love with the film's anti-hero and his quirky friends. We decided to take a page out of the DVD handbook and give them something more. It has been Searchlight's challenge in marketing 'Napoleon Dynamite' to be as unique as the film's loveable characters."

"'Napoleon Dynamite' fans are extremely devoted," said Fox Searchlight President Peter Rice. "Over 25,000 people are competing to become President of the Napoleon Dynamite Fan Club on our website and over 1,000 fans have seen the film three times or more. We're thrilled with the enthusiastic response the film has received."

Earning more than $4 million since its limited release on June 11, Napoleon Dynamite marks the directorial debut of 24-year-old Jared Hess, who wrote the film with his 23-year-old wife Jerusha Hess, an undergraduate student at Brigham Young University (BYU). A favorite at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival where it premiered, the film also opened the 2004 U.S. Comedy Arts Festival and went on to win that festival's coveted award for Best Feature Film.

From Preston, Idaho comes Napoleon Dynamite (Jon Heder), a new kind of hero complete with a tight red 'fro, some choice moon boots, and skills that can't be topped. Napoleon spends his days drawing mythical beasts, duking it out with his 32-year-old brother Kip (Aaron Ruell) and avoiding his Uncle Rico (Jon Gries), a door-to-door salesman who's mentally stuck in 1982 -- the year his football team "almost won state." But when two new friends are brought into his life -- Deb (Tina Majorino), the artisan behind the "boondoggle key chain," and Pedro (Efren Ramirez) with his sweet bike and talent with the chicks -- Napoleon finds goals outside of being a star milk-tasting judge. Together the trio launches a campaign to elect Pedro for class president and make the student body's wildest dreams come true. But if Pedro is to beat stuck-up Summer (Haylie Duff), Napoleon will have to unleash his secret weapon...

pete

see?  it's a superhero movie, that's why I think the comparisons to Rushmore and Welcome to the Dollhouse is stupid, they're two completely different types of movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Eh. That epilogue should have been saved for the DVD.

hedwig

QuoteWell I thought it was rather hilarious.

SHAFTR

seeing this again....I have to change my lukewarm review to something very positive.  I absolutely loved it the 2nd time around.  The Kip side story being the film's only drawback.  The writing, performances and direction are all well done.

****1/2
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

I thought this move was great. Honestly, I don't really see how you can compare this movie to Rushmore. There are a few similarities I suppose, but the two movies are just so completely different. It just seems like a lazy comparison detractors of N.D. are falling back on. Anyways, I thought this movie was really funny and I'll probably go see it again next week.

A-

Easily the funniest movie of 2004 so far, although I have yet to see Anchorman. I doubt that movie will top this one, though and I'll probably just wait till it comes out on DVD and rent it anyways.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Chest Rockwell

Gonna see this and Anchorman today, both for the second time. My gut's gonna be so tired from all the laughing.

El Duderino

i saw it last night....pretty funny, good performances, but this movie wreaked of mormon
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?