Spanish / Latino cinema

Started by Chest Rockwell, February 22, 2004, 06:58:22 AM

Chest Rockwell

The other day I just realized I'm starting to really like Spanish movies/directors. Just in the past two years I've been floored by movies like Y Tu Mama Tambien, Talk to Her, 21 Grams (American movie with Spanish writer and director), and City of God. Is this some new movement of the Spanish cinema? Most of these movies seem to really like exuding a gritty atmosphere that really gluts my goat, so to say. I think I'm going to explore more recent Spanish films, such as Amores Perros, which I have yet to see.

Pubrick

amores perros is the least recent of the ones u listed. and the most important.

viva la revoluciĆ³n.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

a tv channel showed amores perros last night. i didn't see it because i'm sensitive towards dogs being hurt.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

i saw your film, Mac, it's great.
Might watch it again.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Pamores perros is the least recent of the ones u listed. and the most important.

viva la revoluciĆ³n.

'More recent' as in 'more of the recent Spanish cinema'
not 'more recently made Spanish cinema'

molly

i thought it was mexican
i think it kind of drew the attention of the world to mexican cinema

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: mollyi thought it was mexican
i think it kind of drew the attention of the world to mexican cinema

I think they're all Latin American, but I was referring to the Spanish language moreso than Spain.

Kal

City of God - Brazil
Y Tu Mama tambien - Mexico
Like water for Chocolate - Spain
Amores Perros - Mexico (same Director as 21 Grams)
Nine Queens - Argentinean

There are many films from Latin countries and Spain that are great... and the production is getting better...

MacGuffin

Quote from: andykLike water for Chocolate - Spain Mexico
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

okay... wait... what are we talking about here?

Latin American cinema or spanish language cinema?

City of God is not in Spanish, but Brazil is in Latin America.  Spanish movies (as in "from Spain") are spanish-language, but not Latin-American films.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

I changed the thread title for clarity.

I think we're just talking about Spanish language films and Latino films.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

phil marlowe

haha latino ace ventura...even tougher on my head than jim carrey