So Far This Year, vol.2

Started by Ghostboy, June 21, 2004, 01:47:48 AM

Ghostboy

So we're at about the six month mark for 2004. What's struck your fancy the most thus far?

1. Before Sunset
2. Spring, Summer Fall Winter...and Spring
3. Eternal Sunshine
4. The Dreamers
5. Kill Bill 2
6. Cigarettes And Coffee
7. The Saddest Music In The World
8. I'm Not Scared
9. Baadasssss
10. The Passion
11. Young Adam

The first two will definitely still be there come December...probably the first four.

Jeremy Blackman

Dogville
Eternal Sunshine
Kill Bill vol 2

kotte

Eternal Sunshine
Kill Bill vol. 2
Dogville (released 2003 but I'll go after the US date)
Cigarettes and Coffee

ono

The Dreamers and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are the only films that have really interested me so far.  I haven't seen Kill Bill: Vol. 2 or Dogville yet, or Triplets of Belleville.  KBv2 I have less and less interest in as the days go by -- Tarantino is so 1994, it seems, and his public persona and Weinstein lap dog mentality really aren't helping his credibility these days (and they also add to that "so 1994" mentality, even almost relegating him to one-hit wonder status in certain people's eyes (not mine, mind you -- I just wonder if someone can possibly reel that ego of his in and get him to make a good flick again.  Dating Sofia may be good for him.  Hehe.) .  I think it will be difficult, as he is now aware of himself, and everything he does in the future will have this sense of smugness as a result.  Hence, this emerging feeling I'm getting that he's going to continue to make vapid movies.  In other words, he used to be someone to strive to be like, but the copycats proved that that wasn't so, and his creativity wasn't all that creative considering all of his knockoffs (Res and KB both being rip offs of other movies, JB a novel, and Pulp Avary's doing).  I won't begrudge him Pulp Fiction, though, as he did most of it; it will always be classic.  Jackie Brown has its moments, too.  But if he continues down this path, it won't be pretty.

My other regret this year is I have really neglected the art house, and being away from it this summer won't bode well for me.  Some of the more obscure films I've heard good things about I simply won't get to see (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... Spring to name one).  That will have to wait until they come out on DVD (if I ever even have time for it anymore), and hopefully I'll be able to see more stuff at the art house come fall.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiahis creativity wasn't all that creative considering all of his knockoffs (Res and KB both being rip offs of other movies, JB a novel, and Pulp Avary's doing).
I hear Rum Punch had good cinematography.

El Duderino

Eternal Sunshine
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Dogville
Harry Potter
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ono

...the hell you talking about?  Oh, I get it.  Because QT made a MOVE MOVIE (LOLz) out of Rum Punch, he gets points for creativity?  Did you not see where I said JB was from a novel?  Elmore Leonard basically comes out and says on the Jackie Brown DVD (IIRC) how happy he is with QT's version of his book, so, okay.  (But of course he's happy considering how many of his novels QT has secured the rights to.)  Like I said, points there, especially considering he's shown this promising proclivity to, like Kubrick, as P would put it, "rape novels and make something great."  But that's really where that comparison ends, and again, he hasn't done anything original in a while.  He's too obsessed with making something "cool," and like I said, as a result, vapid.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiaTriplets of Belleville.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiaOh, I get it.  Because QT made a MOVIE out of Rum Punch, he gets points for creativity?
Of course. Because making a movie is different from writing a novel. Isn't it that simple?

ono

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiaTriplets of Belleville.
Touche'.  (Silly American response on my part.)

SHAFTR

1.)  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2)   Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself
3.)  Touching the Void
4.)  Kill Bill Vol 2

Nothing else really places.

EDIT:  Added #2.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. The Yes Men
3. Kill Bill Vol. 2
4. Dawn of the Dead (fun stuff)
5. The Ladykillers
6. Intermission
7. The Day after Tomorrow
Distant, distant 8. Troy

Wow, I've only seen 8 new movies. That seems very low. I'll have to catch up.

Anyways, I doubt 4-8 will make my end of the year top ten - at least, I hope they don't.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

pete

1. control room
2. five obstructions
3. I'm not scared
4. twilight samurai (2003?)

that's about it, nothing else really impressed me that much, yet.

but we all know the best film this year will be the life aquatic.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

clerkguy23

UncleJoey... The Day After Tomorrow? Come on... that was fucking horrible. it was completely ridiculous on about 10 different levels for a million different reasons.