Black Panther

Started by jenkins, February 12, 2018, 01:44:32 AM

jenkins

WorldForgot xx.

i went to see it and i don't want to talk about this/that. i don't care. i adored this movie.

Punch Drunk Hate

As someone who isn't a Comic Book person, do you think this film would worked for me? I'm curiosity of all the cooperative elements of Afro-culture that makes up the world in the film. It's heartening to think a majority-black casted film will dominated the global box office and hope this will be a wakeup call for Hollywood executives who keep propitiating the myth that films starting a black actor don't travel overseas.

jenkins

as far as i can tell the less you think about it as a comic book movie the better. whatever the qualifications of a comic book movie are, and they sound as rigorous as any other qualification, this movie works at an elemental level. it has what's called a radiating theme. and it's a mature voice succeeding in the mainstream, which is a great type of movie, always a great piece of art. yes i think it'd work for you.

Tictacbk

I gotta say, it kinda bums me out that xixax seems to be embracing Game Night more than Black Panther. I liked it!

ono

There are like two posts in the Game Night thread.  Wat?  :)

pete

I like that this movie exists. I know I shouldn't be distracted by the cinematography and the effects but I am. I hope the movie works properly on the younger ones out there who'd really benefit from seeing a non-cynical superhero movie that actually seems to inspire and seems to understand actual world struggles instead of mere geopolitical jibber jabber like Captain America (tho he's my favorite superhero and winter soldier was the best executed marvel movie).
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Drenk

I can't give a pass to Marvel. Black Panther is ugly, but it's not new for them. Those movies make billions and I should think that they can't make two people at the top of a mountain not look ridiculous? They don't care.
Ascension.

pete

especially when Star Wars that works with similar budget and schedule consistently has looked pretty amazing.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

BB

Yeah, they seem to have settled in to Joss Whedon's Avengers aesthetic template, which is peculiar because I remember Iron Man being a little more interesting to look at (though it has been a while). Kind of like DC settling on Zack Snyder's artificial weirdly muted-yet-high-contrast look when they had the Nolan movies right there.

Jeremy Blackman

Finally got around to Black Panther to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not sure if I had unreasonable expectations, but this seemed like a very standard comic book movie with average execution. Aside from its cultural context and importance (which I know should not be understated), the only special thing about this movie was a handful of good performances. Otherwise, yeah, I was pretty dismayed by how poor the writing was. The movie's visual scope was shockingly limited — didn't get to see much of Wakanda, and what we did see looked like unfinished effects.

Spoiler: ShowHide
A couple story things really stuck in my craw and continue to erode my opinion of the film.

The challenge ceremony is reeeaaaal dumb. This technologically-advanced society chooses its all-powerful leader based on a wrestling match? Nope, don't buy it. There isn't even any discernible religious meaning attached to it. They just care about physical strength that much, I guess. What are they, the Dothraki? I know this is a trope that goes way back, but maybe cut that part out of the mythology, because it's extremely stupid.

Except obviously it's needed to open the door for Killmonger. Which is why it's there. Of course.

My other complaint is actually much more significant. Killmonger's plan basically involves becoming an Afro-futurist Hitler. That's fine, but at least offer more than one sentence of dialogue about it. This is what your movie hinges on. Can we get just a little explanation? They have their spies or whatever (sleeper cells?) already stationed in countries around the world where black people are oppressed. So umm, are these like, miniature armies? Squads of dudes with laser spears are going to stage a bunch of military coups simultaneously? Was this always a potentiality? Going to need a little more info. They just hand-wave it, though. No time, sorry, next action scene.