cigs & redvines possible interview

Started by modage, September 03, 2012, 06:43:40 PM

modage

Quote from: Fernando on September 02, 2012, 11:44:54 AM
speaking of interviews, are you (cigs&redvines) going to do an interview of PTA for the site??

Working on it...

Any burning Xixax questions?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

InTylerWeTrust

1 - Ask him if he knows about this place....

If he says "yes", ask him how creeped out he is by it? 

2 - Movies that inspired "The Master"? 

3 - Favorite movies of 2011 - 2012?

4 - Actors/actresses he would like to work with in the future?

5 - How was it working with Malaimare? What did he bring to the table? How different was it from working with Elswit?

6 - We know you currently writing INHERENT VICE, anything you can tell us about that process? Like do you just sit there and read the novel over and over again? do you watch movies for inspiration? what kind of research do you do for a "stoner movie"?

I really wanna know what his favorite movies of this year/past year were/are... Because I know he'll mention some obscure movie I've never heard of that is probably amazing. So if you get to ask just 1 question, ASK THAT ONE.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: modage on September 03, 2012, 06:43:40 PM
Quote from: Fernando on September 02, 2012, 11:44:54 AM
speaking of interviews, are you (cigs&redvines) going to do an interview of PTA for the site??

Working on it...

Any burning Xixax questions?

Can you ask him directly about Kubrick? About what he thinks about Kubrick's films
Also could you ask him about his encounter with him on the set of Eyes Wide Shut, what inspired him by that visit, what him and Kubrick talked about?

Also could you ask him what films visually inspired TWBB and The Master? As in the style of the lighting, cinematography.. essentially the look of the film ( I read that in the interview The Master's look was inspired by films shot on VistaVision like Vertigo & North By Northwest but if you could maybe milk some more films out of him, I'm sure there's heaps of them.)

I've been searching all over the net trying to find more about him and Kubrick, only thing I find is the Magnolia Q&A on youtube with Paul briefly mentioning it & The ASC article on TWBB with Robert Elswit talking about Paul wanting to do everything like Kubrick did.

Thanks, hopefully you get the chance Modage, best of luck!

InTylerWeTrust

Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Cloudy

QuoteAlso could you ask him what films visually inspired TWBB and The Master? As in the style of the lighting, cinematography.. essentially the look of the film ( I read that in the interview The Master's look was inspired by films shot on VistaVision like Vertigo & North By Northwest but if you could maybe milk some more films out of him, I'm sure there's heaps of them.)

I've been searching all over the net trying to find more about him and Kubrick, only thing I find is the Magnolia Q&A on youtube with Paul briefly mentioning it & The ASC article on TWBB with Robert Elswit talking about Paul wanting to do everything like Kubrick did.

^This. Heywood, yes. Great questions. Wow. His vision is becoming so fully unique that these questions/inquiries are spot-on.

Heywood, keep your eye out for the next American Cinematographer article. They will be releasing a 'The Master' spotlight very soon with Mihai involved. Have you read the TWBB one? So much quality information.

Kellen

QuoteCan you ask him directly about Kubrick? About what he thinks about Kubrick's films
Also could you ask him about his encounter with him on the set of Eyes Wide Shut, what inspired him by that visit, what him and Kubrick talked about?

i'm guessing you've probably watched it before but if not..

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: Kellen on September 04, 2012, 12:14:22 AM
QuoteCan you ask him directly about Kubrick? About what he thinks about Kubrick's films

i'm guessing you've probably watched it before but if not..

Yep that's the one I mentioned when I wrote "The Magnolia Q&A on youtube", it's so brief, I want to know more. Plus what PTA took from that encounter back then, would mean a lot different when asked now, since he has deeply matured as filmmaker, his insight on that encounter would be much more interesting. Plus his thought's about Kubrick's films would be great, as we can see so many parallels in his work.

Quote from: CloudAuteur on September 03, 2012, 11:58:59 PM
QuoteAlso could you ask him what films visually inspired TWBB and The Master? As in the style of the lighting, cinematography.. essentially the look of the film ( I read that in the interview The Master's look was inspired by films shot on VistaVision like Vertigo & North By Northwest but if you could maybe milk some more films out of him, I'm sure there's heaps of them.)

^This. Heywood, yes. Great questions. Wow. His vision is becoming so fully unique that these questions/inquiries are spot-on.

Heywood, keep your eye out for the next American Cinematographer article. They will be releasing a 'The Master' spotlight very soon with Mihai involved. Have you read the TWBB one? So much quality information.
Thanks heaps CloudAuteur, I read ASC regularly, but didn't know their next issue was on The Master  :yabbse-thumbup:
Plus that TWBB article in ASC is all sorts of brilliant, great insight into his filmmaking process from a technical standpoint and much more.

Cloudy

Heywood:
QuoteI read that in the interview The Master's look was inspired by films shot on VistaVision like Vertigo & North By Northwest

I actually just went to see Vertigo in 70mm today at Castro Theatre where we saw The Master a couple weeks ago. It was so interesting seeing The Master in 70mm there, and then Vertigo in 70mm at the same venue. Especially because most of The Master was shot in the bay area, as well as Vertigo. I can't say that the resemblance was uncanny...but...there are these tinges in the lighting, and in the eye-stabbing colors, the overall mood in the setting...you can just feel the inspiration. But PTA...he took it to a new level.

(...no bashing on Vertigo...but while watching i was wishing it was The Master I was watching...)

Pubrick

If he talks about Kubrick I only wanna hear what he thinks of his later films, Barry to EWS. He's already talked about his Kubrick encounter and not just in that Maggie interview but also in the one he did with Lars von Trier. I don't think he can add more to that, he'll just sound like a fanboy.

Ignoring Kubrick altogether, it'd be interesting to find out more on his favourite non American directors. He's just praised Apitchatpong Weeresathekul which opens up the floor to talk about other either current or dead great international directors.

He's spent so much of his career apeing his favourite American directors that it's just boring to hear how John Huston influenced him AGAIN, and name dropping all the same people. Sure, he's the greatest American director of his generation but he doesn't have to reflect his country's insular self obsessed nature. I want to hear how he's branched out.

that's why it's amazing to hear his thoughts on that Thai dude.. he has NOTHING to do with California, and for once his shout out is not based on his usual nepotistic recommendations (he loves talking about his friends' movies).
under the paving stones.

HeywoodRFloyd

I haven't seen that interview with Lars Von Trier can you please give the link?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

HeywoodRFloyd

Thanks Macguffin, that's a really great read. Now that made me content with the details on his encounter with Kubrick.

However I'd still like to know more about Paul's thoughts on Kubrick's films, I want to know what he thinks about them, how he is inspired by them (technically & in terms of story/narrative), which film is his favourite etc.

And I agree with you about the suggestion of asking him about great international directors/films he's influenced by. He mentioned that obscure Thai director (Palm D'or not included) and I've already started watching Uncle Boonmee tonight.
It was on my radar when it was released because of the award, but I never got the chance to see it, and then it was simply forgotten.

Reel

wiped_out

what are some of his favorite books? Is he a fan of Norman Mailer? We know he digs Steinback.
ask if he is a fan of R.W Fassbinder? If so what movies?
Will he ever make a movie set NY? There were some sequences I read from the master draft where the story went to NYC but I guess that was axed.
What music is he into?
What are his top 10: Film Noir
what does he think of pre code movies?
Is he a fan of James Gray?

Since he is going to do Inherent Vice and thats a pretty trippy book, perhaps he should check out some experimental cinema

also for all you asking questions on the look of There Will Be Blood: Greaser's Palace, watch that!