photographers, filmmaker - kodak or fuji?

Started by md, April 04, 2004, 12:21:30 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mutinycoWell, are you going to be projecting these things on film, or are they going to shown on video? If video, you don't need ENR. It's a Technicolor process and it's VERY expensive. You can achieve a similar look while doing your video transfer in post-production.

these will be commercials existing only on video -- here is some info that a got from a rep i know at technicolor -- some of you may find it interesting:

He shot "Seven" in Super35, mostly on 5293 pushed one stop; he also flashed the negative. Then the print was bleach-bypassed. I don't know if he rated the filmstock faster due to the push-developing, or if he left it at 200 ASA and just let the pushing add density. He said that the pushing increased saturation, while the flashing lowered it and the contrast, and the bleach-bypass added contrast and lowered saturation. He also used some 5287 for some night photography, and 5245 for the ending daylight scenes.
I think he might have used the Panaflasher for his flashing. (In "Evita", he used the Varicon; he did less pushing, used diffusion filters, shot in anamorphic, and used the ENR process.)
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mutinycoWell, are you going to be projecting these things on film, or are they going to shown on video? If video, you don't need ENR. It's a Technicolor process and it's VERY expensive. You can achieve a similar look while doing your video transfer in post-production.

these will be commercials existing only on video -- here is some info that a got from a rep i know at technicolor -- some of you may find it interesting:

He shot "Seven" in Super35, mostly on 5293 pushed one stop; he also flashed the negative. Then the print was bleach-bypassed. I don't know if he rated the filmstock faster due to the push-developing, or if he left it at 200 ASA and just let the pushing add density. He said that the pushing increased saturation, while the flashing lowered it and the contrast, and the bleach-bypass added contrast and lowered saturation. He also used some 5287 for some night photography, and 5245 for the ending daylight scenes.
I think he might have used the Panaflasher for his flashing. (In "Evita", he used the Varicon; he did less pushing, used diffusion filters, shot in anamorphic, and used the ENR process.)
...your excuses are your own...

mutinyco

Interesting. I always liked the old 93 stock. I shot a short with it about a decade ago. It has pretty decent sensitivity and an interesting color palate. Both Memento and AI were shot with it, I believe. One thing though -- I'm almost certain they used ENR on Se7en, not a bleach bypass. I distinctly remember a lot of press about their use of ENR on it. We should point out that we're really talking about Darius Khondji, the DP.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Didn't Darius get booted on that, and Cronenweth took over?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Nope. That was Panic Room.

ENR and bleach bypass are different. Bypass simply leaves the silver nitrate on the celluloid. ENR is a resilvering process where it's taken out as it normally would be, but then at varying percents, depending on the look, the film is run through a bath of the silver to reattach it.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe