neil young - rust never sleeps...

Started by moonshiner, February 26, 2003, 11:10:47 PM

moonshiner

I had to do it...trying to feel out the Neil Young crowd here, is there one? and if so, favorite album(s), song(s)? Discuss.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

i'm still sifting my way through his catalog (it's pretty big)...but i do love Rust Never Sleeps, Zuma is great (danger bird is one of his best songs), and i guess on the whole, Cortez the Killer is my all-time favorite...takes me my back to my earliest listens of Decade...one of the best greatest hits-like compilations that i've ever heard, if only for it's unique subject....he is a legend and a revolutionary, and ultimately as uncompromising an artist as their ever was....i think after a few days though i see that this is not much a Neil crowd...(sigh)

by the way Mogwai i never knew that Neil's brother was in Fight Club, i'll have to check it out later on my dvd
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Cecil

i dont really listen to his music, but i really like "year of the horse" by jarmush. have you seen it?

moonshiner

no, i haven't gotten a hold of Year of the Horse...i checked it out on Amazon,  no dvd for it, and the video out of stock...i own his Rust Never Sleeps dvd, a tour where he did a little bit of a concept show...the Crazy Horse and all the stage hands were dressed up like the Jawas from Star Wars...it's interesting that Jarmusch and Neil worked together, i never knew that....actually did Jarmusch direct Dead Man? i know that Neil did the soundtrack for that one.

JC, no not that one

Cecil

yeah jarmush directed dead man. its strange that amazon doesnt have the year of the horse dvd. amazon.ca has it, but thats the canadian version without the "b-reel" stuff.

moonshiner

yes i might could do that for ya...i think it all was mainly Neil was just a big fan of Star Wars at the time, as far as for the Jawas, or what he called his Road-eyes (roadies)...the concept of the show was to show Neil coming alive, i.e getting fame, and then by the end of the show burning out...or fading away...everyone in the audience were given 3-D glasses (dubbed Rust-O-Vision glasses for the show) to greater enhance the sight of Neil's supposed decay...i love how the show opens with the Beatles' "A Day in the Life"....puts an eerie beginning to the set.

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

Quote from: mogwaiI love the way how Neil starts playing the song "Sugar Mountain", very spontaneous....I like the acoustic stuff more than the electric stuff.

The acoustic, folky stuff is what really sparked my interest in Neil, "Sugar Mountain" was really my first favorite song, listening to his Decade album. Really love songs about innocence and its loss.
As i got older and more into his thing, his electric stuff really got to me...have you heard Danger Bird, or Cortez the Killer, or some of his classics like Down by the River, or especially Cowgirl in the Sand? Just curious what electric stuff of Neil's that you didn't like.

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

oh and a little bit of an aside, have you ever heard Pearl Jam's "I Got Id"?
Neil played guitar for that song, and you probably know about Neil Young and Pearl Jam's collaboration on Mirror Ball, as hush-hush a fiasco that was.

JC, no not that one

Sigur Rós

I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse on Roskilde Festival 2001 they played  4½ hours. Wauv, it was a treat to listen to them  :-D He finished with Keep on rocking in the free world

aclockworkjj

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi dont really listen to his music, but i really like "year of the horse" by jarmush. have you seen it?

Very good film....music films have so much potential, it's a shame more aren't like this one.

moonshiner

Quote from: mogwai"Long Road" which they wrote during the Mirrorball session. What's wrong with that album?

I'm also a huge Pearl Jam fan, i guess i heard when that album came out there was a controversy with Neil and Pearl Jam's respective record companies, but i'm having a hard time finding something on the internet to back that up...i actually haven't heard much off of Mirror Ball though, but what i heard was pretty good.  "I Got Shit," there i said it.

About Neil and electric stuff, anyone interested should download "Danger Bird". It's amazing....about the "rusty" guitar, Neil takes Old Black wherever he goes and welcomes its imperfections and distorted sound, kind of a revolutionary as far as distortion feedback noise goes.

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

banner day for neil young fans, Aug. 19th, read this all in a rollingstone a couple of weeks ago, he releases a new album Greendale that's supposed to come with a DVD containing a film inspired by the concept album. also he is releasing On the Beach, which anyone looking for essential 70's recordings should pick up immediately, American Stars 'n Bars, and Reactor for the first time on compact disc. FUCK am i going to be broke.

JC, no not that one

aclockworkjj

Quote from: moonshinerFUCK am i going to be broke.

:lol: ....I can relate very easily.

Pas

Wow, great news ! Do you know anything else about that DVD thing ? And will the album be more rock or folk ?

jokerspath

On The Beach is a legendary piece of vinyl.  I've got a bootleg CD (with some amazing bonus tracks) that I've listened to a 100+ times since I bought it...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT