the shining: an american trailer

Started by ProgWRX, September 29, 2005, 10:02:49 AM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: picolasCameron Crowe would see that.

hahahaha..

i bet crowe would actaully use that gay song in one of his films..

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

hahahaha..

The trailer reminded me of Crowe also.

matt35mm

Quote from: Ravi

hahahaha..

The trailer reminded me of Crowe also.
Yeah, there's a reason.  That end song was used for Vanilla Sky commercials, and I believe in the film as well, over the Cruise/Cruz romance.

Gamblour.

hahahaha..

dude that gay song happens to be fucking awesome. solsbury hill by peter gabriel.
WWPTAD?

Pozer

Quote from: Ultrahip Lobster Supperthanks eward, my sake is just fine. glad someone caught on.

and whoever said the shoelace thing, you are a riot.
good cover up, dude.

ono

Quote from: Ultrahip Lobster Supperthanks eward, my sake is just fine.
I read that as sa-ke.  Must be some good shit.

Quoteand whoever said the shoelace thing, you are a riot.
Why thank you, sir.  :yabbse-bows:

matt35mm

His 'Secret' Movie Trailer  Is No Secret Anymore

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 29 — Robert Ryang, 25, a film editor's assistant in Manhattan, graduated from Columbia three years ago with a double major in film studies and psychology. This week, he got an eye-opening lesson in both.

Since 2002, Mr. Ryang has worked for one of the owners of P.S. 260, a commercial postproduction house, cutting commercials for the likes of Citizens Bank, Cingular and the TriBeCa Film Festival.

A few weeks back, he said, he entered a contest for editors' assistants sponsored by the New York chapter of the Association of Independent Creative Editors. The challenge? Take any movie and cut a new trailer for it — but in an entirely different genre. Only the sound and dialogue could be modified, not the visuals, he said.

Mr. Ryang chose "The Shining," Stanley Kubrick's 1980 horror film starring Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. In his hands, it became a saccharine comedy — about a writer struggling to find his muse and a boy lonely for a father. Gilding the lily, he even set it against "Solsbury Hill," the way-too-overused Peter Gabriel song heard in comedies billed as life-changing experiences, like last year's "In Good Company."

Mr. Ryang won the contest, and about 10 days ago, he said, he sent three friends a link to a "secret site" on his company's Web site where they could watch his entry.

One of them, Mr. Ryang said, posted it on his little-watched blog. And that was that. Until this week, when he was hit by a tsunami of Internet interest.

On Wednesday, Mr. Ryang said, his secret site got 12,000 hits. By Thursday the numbers were even higher, his film was being downloaded and linked to on countless other sites, it had cracked the top 10 most popular spoofs on www.ifilm.com, and a vice president at a major Hollywood studio had called up his office, scouting for new talent.

"He said it's being circulated everywhere in the film community," Mr. Ryang said of the executive, not wanting to name the man for fear of alienating him. "He wanted to know who I was, and if I had any creative ideas. I told him I'd put together a reel."

Mr. Ryang said that he was blown away by the experience, and that his boss wasn't exactly angry, despite the computer system's nearly having crashed, because of all the attention he had won for P.S. 260.

Though, it seems, the attention was directed more specifically at Mr. Ryang — who is suddenly being forced to rethink his future as an assistant.

"People have been calling producers here, asking about who made it," he said. "I really didn't realize how fast the world moves."

--------------------------

In addition to The Shining trailer by Rob, 2 others were made at P.S. 260:

They can't compete with The Shining trailer, though.

Pubrick

good for him, maybe now he can afford to have that G removed.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mm

No, but that trailer really made me want to see West Side Story done as 28 Days Later.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: matt35mm

No, but that trailer really made me want to see West Side Story done as 28 Days Later.
The Shining won 1st place for that chapter of the competition.  West Side Story won 3rd.  (I couldn't find the 2nd place one online)