The Official Title of the Official Thread of my Photography.

Started by The Perineum Falcon, July 06, 2006, 10:00:43 AM

The Perineum Falcon

With all the recent attention on the photography of others on this board, I thought it only fair that I share mine as well. It's something I've considered doing for quite sometime, I just never got around to it.

All were shot Easter Sunday earlier this year.
Shot on Ilford HP5, pushed to 800 - 1200 and developed in Dektol paper developer.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to the studio at this time, so I'm unable to properly make copy work of these photos, so I had to resort to the scanner at work. It's a bit crude, but it gets the images out there, albeit turning them a tad darker than originally printed. =/
Thus, these are all 4x5 work prints, accounting for the uncleanliness of the borders and centering and the unburned/dodged problem areas. They were later printed at 11x14 which gave crisper images, more detail and had a better grain effect.

I hope all enjoy.

this one had a hole in the emulsion, somehow....

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

This one reminds me of the Cottingley Fairy Photographs, in a weird way.  Very evocative.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Perineum Falcon

Finally, something new to post!

The "Cinema" Project is a new project begun this semester to be continued for years to come, by myself.

All images are taken with a 4x5 Toyo Field Camera.

The Project is to document the changes movie theaters have gone through, beginning in Columbus, Ga and spreading outward.

The Platters

35mm Projector

The Gates of the Bishop

The Remains of the Grand

Christie - The Digital Projector

Christie - The Digital Projector

The Rialto/The Last Silver Screen in Columbus

Columbus Square 8
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

the projectors don't interest me, but the others are very good.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

"The Remains of the Grand" and "The Last Silver Screen" are gorgeous.

The Perineum Falcon

I've had great response with The Rialto, it seems to be everyone's immediate favorite. Thank you.

Most people have liked the projectors, as well, especially The Platters. What doesn't interest you about them, or, how could it be more interesting? Pete?

Pubrick

the projectors are just technical talk.

i like the gates. and i really like the rialto. but really, the projectors and platters are just technical talk.
under the paving stones.

pete

I don't know, what do you want me to say?  they are interesting?  I think the images lack depth.  if you're fascinated by the machine, then show me all the details on that machine, show me varying shades and near abstract patterns.  I worked at a moviehouse for three years, I've set up countless reels, and I know those beasts to be a bit more interesting than what you've captured.  I think you've obscured a lot of details by too much over and under-exposure -- a lot of the pristine whites and unintelligible blacks make the images that much less profound.  I've taken a lot of boring photos before, so I don't uninteresting is the worst thing in the world.  all you need is some texture.
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

I don't want you to say anything. Not in particular.
What you've said is fine, now.
I just wanted a bit more than what you had given me.

"These aren't interesting." "Why?" "Because..." "Oh, ok, very good. I'll work on that."

That sort of dialogue. Criticism is fine as long as you give me the opportunity to learn something from it.

Thank you.

JG

i'm going to agree with pete.  my main problem with the projector pictures is that a lot of the pictures are just black (35mm, christie), and nothing is going on. 'remains of the grand' suffers from this as well. the best one are the last two, i think.  those are really great. 

pete

Quote from: Slightly Green on April 11, 2007, 08:29:48 AM
I don't want you to say anything. Not in particular.
What you've said is fine, now.
I just wanted a bit more than what you had given me.

"These aren't interesting." "Why?" "Because..." "Oh, ok, very good. I'll work on that."

That sort of dialogue. Criticism is fine as long as you give me the opportunity to learn something from it.

Thank you.

I really wasn't interested in criticism though.  you said "your silence is acceptance" which read like you wanted some kinda reaction, so I gave you a reaction.  if you wanted criticism, then ask for that, which was all you needed to do in the first place.
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

This may or may not be helpful, but the main distinction is that the ones we've pointed out as especially good really seem to be photos about their subject, while the projectors are simply photos of their subject.

The Perineum Falcon

Ugh. Terribly sorry for the cynicism and hostility earlier, you guys (especially Pete). I love you, you know that. I was in a really weird place. That's all.

Anyway, it feels like such a long time since this thread's been updated!

This summer, I'm finishing up yet another in a long line of photography classes.

It began with the intentions of continuing the Cinema project, but when I realized the amount of dread I held for that project and the negative amount of interest, I decided that I just wouldn't do it. For now. I'm sure I'll continue it later, but I wanted to move on.

So, I picked up my 35mm for the first time in a few months and the experience was both wonderful and freeing. I felt loosed upon the world and not tied to a rather large and cumbersome piece of equipment. And then I noticed the grain. I couldn't see past the grain, even in enlarging only to 8x10 that's all that I felt my images held.

I'd never been so bothered by that before. So, I've now decided to purchase a 6x7 or 6x9 whenever I get the cash. My friend works at Sammy's in L.A. and can get a good discount, so I'll have to check with him.

Needless to say, those 35mm images will never be shown.

I will, however, show the newest project involving color!

These are taken with the same camera as the Cinema Project, the Toyo 4x5 Field Camera and used Fuji NPS 160. This will be the last time I use NPS instead of NPL.

Those of you who really don't care, I apologize for making you read this, if you haven't already skipped ahead.

Please, feel free to give any and all thoughts, though you certainly aren't required. :wink:

mogwai

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on July 25, 2007, 07:58:16 PMPlease, feel free to give any and all thoughts, though you certainly aren't required. :wink:

yes, i have a question. is the guy with the rifle and the gay couple neighbours?

The Perineum Falcon

Actually, yes.

The Gay Couple owns the apartment the Rifleman rents. They were also my neighbors until very recently.

Very astute! :yabbse-grin: