Lawrence Kasdan

Started by modage, August 24, 2004, 10:59:14 PM

modage

didn't see a topic for him and since i just watched a few of his films, i figured he should get one.  

tonight i watched Wyatt Earp for the first time, and while nothing about it was bad, it just...........wasnt as good as Tombstone.  which is the reason i had never seen it before since i loved the other and they were released in such close proximity i felt i had to choose sides.  it was also LONG.  3 hours and 10 minutes, and the first hour and a half i didnt feel the need to compare the two since it dealt with the eariler parts of wyatt earps life and it was pretty good.  (although somewhat unneccesary), but as soon as the story caught up to Tombstone i couldnt help but compare, and as good of a shot as they gave it NOTHING was as good/better than in that film.  it did have a big cast incl. Costner, Dennis Quaid, Gene Hackman, Michael Madsen AND Tom Sizemore! (they're not the same guy after all!), Bill Pullman, Tea Leoni, Catherine O Hara, Isabella Rosselini, and Jim "Jesus" Cavizel.  quaid did his best in the part (which he apparently lost 30 lbs. for and is showed), but it just felt like he was trying to 'act' like doc holiday and val kilmer just WAS doc holiday.  there just wasnt enough there overall, the action scenes were anticlimactic and a story/flashback at the ending is a headscratcher.  overall, okay but not great.  

also recently saw Body Heat which was an awesome modern film noir and RECOMMENDED and Dreamcatcher which was after a promising start just AWFUL, unbelievably bad.  (why william goldman, WHY?!?)  as soon as the SPOILER alien popped out of the ass, the movie FELL APART TOTALLY END SPOILER.

also seen The Big Chill and Silverado, (good) and Mumford (notsomuch).  but the guy wrote 2 star wars and raiders of the lost ark so hes got to be part-genius.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

I really loved The Big Chill and Grand Canyon (Have you seen that Mod?) Mumford was disapointing and Dreamcather was terrible (as a Stephen King adaptation of a movie and as movie on it's own). I still haven't seen Wyatt Earp and Body Heat but they are on my list.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

jasper_window

I love Big Chill, Body Heat and Grand Canyon.  Didn't see Wyatt Earp, have no interest, and Dreamcatcher I've been hesitant to watch.  Is it worth it at all?  Only one person, whose taste I usually trust, told me to watch it.

jasper_window

forgot about I Love You to Death.  Hilarious.

ono

Grand Canyon is a yummy, surreal (in a simple way), uplifting movie.  Yay for it.

Bethie

I am in love with The Big Chill. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Grand Canyon was quite grand, too.
who likes movies anyway

SiliasRuby

'Wyatt Earp'

A sprawling epic that chronicles one of the wild west's last badass's. Solid performances and even though its 3 hours and 10 minutes long it never feels really lagging. I usually really am picky about westerns (along with horror and rom coms) but I was continually amazed by the world and the inhabitants that lived in it. Intricate and open, quiet and honest, this movie houses one of Costner's best performances....

'Body Heat' is wonderful too. One of the best film noirs of the 20th century.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Lawrence Kasdan brings Kline, Keaton, Moss, Jenkins into 'Darling Companion'
Source: THR

Kevin Kline, Diane Keaton, Richard Jenkins and Elisabeth Moss are set to star in Lawrence Kasdan's new project, "Darling Companion."

Elizabeth Redleaf of Werc Werk Works and Anthony Bregman of Likely Story are producing the project, which Kasdan wrote with wife Meg Kasdan. Lawrence Kasdan is also producing, while Christine Walker, Meg Kasdan and John Kelly will serve as executive producers.

The film's storyline follows a woman (Keaton) who takes in a stray dog as a companion to fill the void left by her distracted husband (Kline), only to see him lose the mutt after a wedding at their vacation home in the Rockies. A search for the animal includes several guests and a mysterious young woman.

The film is meant as the third in a trilogy that includes Kasdan's 1983 classic "The Big Chill" and his 1991 drama "Grand Canyon," which he also wrote with Meg. Production on "Companion" is scheduled to begin in late September in Utah.

"Lawrence Kasdan has a rich tradition of making comedies filled with a love of life -- and 'Darling Companion' has all species of it," said Bregman. "This is a movie about the most basic human challenge: to share with each other the higher level of love, companionship and trust that humans share with their pets."

The CAA-repped Kasdan most recently co-wrote and directed "Dreamcatcher," in 2003. He also co-wrote and directed "Wyatt Earp," "The Accidental Tourist" and "Silverado."

The Minnesota-based Werc Werk Works produced "Life During Wartime" and "Howl," which hits theaters Friday. The company also has Bela Tarr's "The Turin Horse" and Jill and Karen Sprecher's "The Convincer" in post-production.

New York-based Likely Story recently produced "Please Give," "The Extra Man" and "Synecdoche, New York." The company has "My Idiot Brother" and "The Oranges" nearing completion.

Kline is repped by CAA and Hofflund/Polone, Keaton by WME, Jenkins by Gersh and manager Bill Treusch and Moss by WME and manager Gay Ribisi.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

oh man. yay.

in all honesty when i saw there was a new post by mac in the Kasdan topic, I thought, oh no, he must have died.
who likes movies anyway

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.