Best Criterion Extras

Started by puddnanners, October 03, 2006, 12:53:41 AM

puddnanners

yeah, so I just got a job at a large video store and for the first time pretty much ever have access to myriad Criterion titles, basically the entire catalogue.  Obviously I've got a lengthy list of discs I want to check out, but I'm curious as to if anyone can reccomend some discs with particularly enlightening or insightfiul extras (docs, making ofs, commentaries, etc.)  I just don't want to miss out on any stellar supplemental material simply because I'm not immediately drawn to the film.  I know there is a hefty amount of DVD information on existing boards, and I definitely plan on going back through them, but I figured I'd go ahead and post this in case anyone can think of something off the top of their head.  Hell, if there is anything particularly worthwhile on a non-criterion disc (maybe on a DVD of a more obscure or "lesser" film,) you can go ahead and throw it out there too. 

To ask for something and not give anything back would be gay, so I'd say that everyone should watch The Physical History of M doc on the two-disc M Criterion and also the also the Lux Radio Theater version of The Lady Eve.

So yeah, hopefully this thread wont be too much of a bust.  God bless.   

w/o horse

I'm fucking pitiful at watching extras.  I read the essays.  John Cassavetes: Five Films has terrific essays.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Of the ones that I've seen, Do The Right Thing has had the best extras.  I also really enjoyed the extras on Naked.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Garam

The Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas criterion has that great BBC Omnibus episode on Hunter S. Thompson. Look out for a young Bill Murray.