Platoon's poor surround sound and DTS

Started by freakerdude, September 04, 2003, 01:55:25 AM

freakerdude

I have the Platoon special edition version and think the Dig Dolby 5.1 transfer is rather poor.  DTS is not even an option like many other DVDs. It was made in 1986 but I think it could have benn enhanced much better.

I feel DTS 5.1 is far better then Dig Dolby 5.1....the levels are higher and the rear channels have more enhancement, IMO.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

From DVDFile's "Platoon: Special Edition" review:

Audio: How Does the Disc Sound?

This English 5.1 remaster is the same as was included on the Artisan/Live and original MGM DVDs, although with the MGM releases a higher 448kbps data rate was used while Live went with the lower 384kbps rate. But differences are a non-issue at this point. This six-track mix of PLATOON uses a decently directional front soundstage with almost no aggressive surround use. The surrounds are there, they're just very subtle in supporting the onscreen action by bringing out ambient jungle sounds in the front half of the room. When surrounds do become more active, they sound out of balance with the rest of the track. A helicopter, for instance, is heard at one point coming from the left rear, moving to the front. When the sound does hit the front channels, it moves with an unnatural sound that was way too ping-pong, lacking convincing imaging to get the sound from point A to point B. Other surround sounds though, the subtle chirping of crickets for instance, came away far better, blending into the action and effectively putting you in the middle of the jungle.

Dialog is generally well presented and balanced, but I did find moments where a bright sounding strain and/or background hiss was audible. The hiss, which sometimes sounded like background noise of on set dialog recording, wouldn't have been so objectionable if it didn't vary from actor to actor. The strain on the other hand is probably a victim of such an older, low budget film being remixed. Also falling victim is the fidelity of the track which, while definitely doable, seems to lack oomph overall. The .1 LFE sounds unfortunately hollow with a lack of true low energy that could have serviced the film incredibly well.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

freakerdude

Quote from: MacGuffinFrom DVDFile's "Platoon: Special Edition" review:
The .1 LFE sounds unfortunately hollow with a lack of true low energy that could have serviced the film incredibly well.
I thought my sub level was set low and kept checking all the settings like three times on it. I have a Polk RM7500/PSW650 speaker set up with 775 watts total including sub.

The basically uselesss LFE  output on this DVD was another big complaint that I completely forgot. :?
MC Pee Pants

Ravi

Quote from: freakerdudeI have the Platoon special edition version and think the Dig Dolby 5.1 transfer is rather poor.  DTS is not even an option like many other DVDs. It was made in 1986 but I think it could have benn enhanced much better.

I feel DTS 5.1 is far better then Dig Dolby 5.1....the levels are higher and the rear channels have more enhancement, IMO.

DTS in and of itself can't make the surrounds more active.  It is the mixing that determines this.  DTS levels usually are higher, according to the reviews I read, but they should be equal to the DD track so one can have a better comparision of the two tracks when switching.

freakerdude

I use nothing but DTS when available. I heard and saw a  difference in my typical volume setting. Maybe it's b/c the rears are louder than more enhanced.

Whatever it is, I love DTS! I didn't realize that most DD/DTS options were in the language section until about 5 months ago.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

MGM & Sony's 2-disc Platoon: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition (due 5/30) will include anamorphic widescreen video (from a new HD transfer), Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 audio, audio commentary by director Oliver Stone, a second commentary by military supervisor Captain Dale Dye, deleted and extended scenes (with commentary by Stone), new interviews with Stone and Vietnam veterans, 5 behind-the-scenes documentaries (Creating the ‘Nam, One War, Many Stories, Raw Wounds: The Legacy of Platoon, Snapshot in Time: 1967-1968 and Tour of the Inferno), the Preparing for ‘Nam featurette, the film's theatrical trailer and TV spots, and an 8-page "journal" booklet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

There were some scenes with Johnny Depp that were left out of the film, which I've read will be put back in this new version.