Ex Machina

Started by Lottery, October 30, 2014, 08:20:29 AM

Lottery

A young programmer is selected to participate in a breakthrough experiment in artificial intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a breathtaking female A.I.

Directed and written by Alex Garland
Starring  Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander
Release Date -  23 January 2015 (UK)

he also wrote 'the beach' which is pretty underrated.

Lottery

jenkins

mark olsen is hard repping this movie. he's said "Oscar Isaac's dance number in EX MACHINA is a gif-y hit. The tune: Oliver Cheatham's 'Get Down Saturday Night'" and after he saw interstellar then this he said something like 'nvm i found the good one' lol. review quote:

QuoteTaken together, what Garland has put on screen as writer and now director creates a startling view of humanity and the ramifications of a tech-inflected culture. Though he doesn't shy away from the label "dystopian" — "That describes what it is" — he also doesn't see his body of work as some bleak end-times revelation or futurist prophecy.

"It's where I feel we're at more than where we're heading," Garland said. "Actually, for me, it's an uplifting film, 'Ex Machina,' for what it's worth. I'm on the side of the machines. I like the machines. I have problems with humans. Humans are doing some really bad stuff. I think it's actually reasonable to say that a sentient machine might be more reasonable than us about some things. I don't find that scary."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-ex-machina-20150409-story.html#page=1

jenkins

never even saw chappie and this one sunk for me so i'm calling the whole robot movie battle off

it began so strong! shots with reflective glass surfaces, complimentary neon colors, believable-type characters, oscar isaac completely delivering his character, etc. i was in

but as my date with the movie continued, i realized we weren't experiencing true love, and i felt sad but i knew that emotionally speaking i was walking away. ok for example, i plugged into the oscar isaac character, then when he's sitting there with the beer bottle on his stomach and being snotty-drunk i began to realize his whole character enterprise was a sham, which of course it is because things start going wrong from there. the movie screams in my face that things are going wrong for a long fucking time. it all felt too stitched together, with certain unbelievable aspects, and there was that great beginning only to make me care about these people and i did care about them, and i wished they were in another movie and not in the narrative-glove of alex garland

i think that's how some people also responded to sunshine, then also sunshine had its supporters, so i guess i'm being a li'l bitch here too. happens

still legit looking forward to annihilation, i've heard compliments given to the book, and i respect garland on principle, admire his career, and i myself most enjoy dredd 3d, although i mean never let me go i mean the beach and 28 days later, glad to have the guy around

polkablues

SPOILERISH

The film is a masterpiece of nihilism, but it sneaks that fact up on you to make sure it hits you harder. Ultimately, the thesis of the film is that the act of creating an artificial conciousness is a sociopathic endeavor, and can only result in the creation of a more perfect sociopath. That's dark as shit, but it's a consistent point of view, backed up by the text. Science fiction at its best is always a cautionary tale. If not, what's the point in telling it?

Two thumbs up four stars A+ Loved it
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

a movie can't be both sneaky and consistent, gtfo

polkablues

The movie was tricking the audience in the exact same way that Ava was tricking Caleb. That's great goddamn storytelling, if you ask me.

jenkins

spoiler city

ah hell na, when did you get tricked? when they met there was a hang over, and when he had that beer bottle on his stomach it was all unraveling, you know, like a carpet, and you take a well-made story and you look under the carpet and there isn't shit, because a well-made story is the carpet. that's what i don't like. nah for real, when did you get tricked? wasn't it like day 2 when the power went out during their conversation, and she said "hey watch out" and he was like "whaaa?" then later there was dinner and some shade-shielding, then like what day was it when she mentioned her imminent death and the rest of the movie was about that? she'd tell us the thing, then that'd happen. but oh, then at the end the guy tells a thing, only it happens in a different way, for the same overall ending that was being worked toward

looked at from a people perspective, i think it was all writ large. but this is a character vs story conversation, that it. and garland is a professional writer who makes story things, and i respect him, i just prefer (e.g.) dredd 3d because it has more personality, to me

samsong

this too was garbage. 

youtube the dance scene.  oscar isaacs is really good.

putneyswipe

polkablues

jenkins

not much i can say against indisputable evidence

Tictacbk

I liked it too.

SPOILERS

I was "tricked" as you say when I thought Ava actually cared about Caleb, and when I thought Caleb actually should care about Ava.

Also the dance scene was good.

Gold Trumpet

It's a good film mainly because it's well done.

But I do enjoy that science fiction films likes these really do feel dated. A character discovers how to develop AI to a new level. The boundaries being pushed are beyond what people can imagine, but it's based on an idea of reality being pushed that feels uniquely relevant today. In Ex Machina, a digital wiz responsible for an amazing new search engine sells his accomplishment and secludes himself to developing a fantasy version of a robot. The perfect looking model who can perfectly cater to someone's needs and what not. The search engine wiz is relevant to today but the personal robot is age old. The recycling is to be expected and will continue to happen. It will also pull from trendy subjects like this one. There is a lot of chatter in between the lines of dialogue that feel relevant today. Maybe someday we will get beyond some major implications of science fiction film story lines (besides quickly outdating the need for pay phones like in The Matrix) but, I don't know. In Ex Machina, AI is again a representation of seeking for what someone personally lacks and while I think the approach is clever here, I don't think it's that big of an accomplishment. I think this is one of the better science fiction films made like this. Oscar Isaac really does a great job and the film is diligent in pace and developing a believable relationship between characters and letting subplot stew to an effective boil. Part of that observation is subjective but considering attention span of many well meaning sci fi films today, I also don't think it is.