Cinderella Man - Ron Howard's Film

Started by Finn, February 03, 2004, 07:31:38 AM

matt35mm

Quote from: POZERAm I the only one who cringes when I hear the title of this movie. Cinderella Man. Are you F-ing kidding me?  
no, seriously. Are you kidding me?
You're not the only one.  I can hear the audience chortling a little when the title comes onscreen in theaters.

The Cinderella part disinterests men, and the Man part makes it hard for women to identify.  It's a lose-lose title.

Actually I don't know what I'm talking about with that, since the movie will probably do very well.  Lots of people will want to see it, despite laughing a little at the title.  It'll be like A Beautiful Mind, pretty much (not the funny title part, the successful part).

cine

ughh... same with "million dollar baby" and look what happened with that.. can we all move on from this title groaning?

ono

I hear they're both about boxing, too.

Pubrick

Quote from: Cinephileughh... same with "million dollar baby" and look what happened with that.. can we all move on from this title groaning?
not the same. mdb sounds intriguing. cinderella man sounds like two random words idiot marketing executives threw together in a pitch frenzy.

but yeah it's irrelevant in the end. cos if anything will ruin this movie it's likely to be the eyeless she-devil, zellwegger.
under the paving stones.

cine

and nothing will stop the The Producers this year.

Gamblour.

That new trailer gets the job done. It's got me totally interested. Sure, they are just clawing at an Oscar, but if it's good why not? I didn't like A Beautiful Mind very much, but this looks promising. However, what the fuck was that shit music on the trailer, the same music that's on every emotionally evocative trailer? I hate that piece.

I think it will be interesting to see this film's masculine comeback compared to MDB's feminine comeback. And two boxing movies to win oscars in a row, that'll be interesting.
WWPTAD?

©brad

modage

i saw this today and i liked it.  if you arent interested, you wont like it.  if you think you might like it and dont mind ron howard, you will enjoy this.  he gets the job done, the cast is good unless you already hate some of them in which case you will find them annoying.  and only the most cynical among you will leave with your tearducts in tact.  damn, times was hard!  but, i really liked it.  obvious oscarbait aside, atleast its opening in june and not december even if that wasnt the original plan.  B
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrickcos if anything will ruin this movie it's likely to be the eyeless she-devil, zellwegger.

haha.. so true.. I can't stand Anorexiawegger.

Pozer

Quote from: themodernage02i saw this today and i liked it.  if you arent interested, you wont like it.  if you think you might like it and dont mind ron howard, you will enjoy this.  he gets the job done, the cast is good unless you already hate some of them in which case you will find them annoying.  and only the most cynical among you will leave with your tearducts in tact.  damn, times was hard!  but, i really liked it.  obvious oscarbait aside, atleast its opening in june and not december even if that wasnt the original plan.  B
i really wasn't all that interested to tell you the truth but ended up loving it. i can't remember another picture that painted the depression era this well. howard's direction in this film suprised me too. where he chose to put the camera, whose reaction he chose to hold with to avoid sappiness, how he avoided putting music in certain spots for the same reason. and the fight scns. were so well done. i saw it at the arclight in hollywood which is such an amazing place to see a movie for those who don't know. every punch echoed throughout the theater. such a pleasant theatrical experiance. very suprised.

dufresne

Paul Giamatti steals the fucking show.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Ultrahip

i like it when his tummy gargles

RegularKarate

This movie looks like a gleaming turd.  Stereotypes left and right.  I think if Zellwegger weren't in it, I might CONSIDER seeing it on DVD.

My favorite bad review so far:

"65 years after John Ford's wrenching The Grapes of Wrath, Hollywood seems to have concluded that the Great Depression was, in fact, a pretty great time to be alive."

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RegularKarate
My favorite bad review so far:

"65 years after John Ford's wrenching The Grapes of Wrath, Hollywood seems to have concluded that the Great Depression was, in fact, a pretty great time to be alive."

Thats fucking classic - what publication was this from?

After watching the trailer I did think to myself - doesn't everyone look a little clean and healthy for the depression...Isn't renee's hair a little too perfectly maintained?

I can't see this movie if I wanted to. I'm glad to see their are a few others that dislike Zellweger as much as I do. She simply ruins films for me. I can't look at her for more than a few frames. Just terrible.
...your excuses are your own...

RegularKarate

Quote from: cowboykurtisThats fucking classic - what publication was this from?

Nick Schager from Slant Magazine