An idea

Started by Chest Rockwell, October 18, 2003, 04:19:08 PM

Chest Rockwell

So i just came up with an idea for a movie (this will be my first attempt at a writing project, since im still in highschool). It's probably really cliche and dumb...but anyhow...this is it: Basically, a young man in 1980s miami inherits a cocaine monopoly from his late father/grandfather, whatever, who died of not-so-natural reasons. It will follow that much-used formula of all going good for the first half or so, but then declines by the end. Not sure if it will end tragically or not yet, though. In any case, the story will branch out further characters, so hopefully it will be a nice representation of 80s miami. I also want to have a motif of waves setting up mood/feelings of the characters involved. So for the first scene it shows calm waves and sea gulls and what-not. I dont think i want it too obvious, though, so i probably wont just cut every now and then to waves...ill probably just try to sneak images of waves into the script, though i dont know how, yet. Anyways, please tell me f this idea rocks or blows, honestly.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Chest Rockwell. It will follow that much-used formula of all going good for the first half or so, but then declines by the end.

That is your biggest problem.  It doesn't really matter what your idea is...it's the execution of the script and the filming that matters.  It sounds like Scarface / Godfather.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

Well i have yet to see Scarface, but Godfather didn't really come to mind all that much. For some reason i thought i was copying off Boogie Nights more than Godfather. But hopefully my script will somehow distinguish itself from any of those.

SHAFTR

Well, I'll gladly read it.

Chest Rockwell

Maybe i could change it to a story about a music writer thats kind of the same thing. He'll have to struggle through changing times and of course there'd be coke all over the place. I guess i dont really know what I'm doing yet.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Chest RockwellMaybe i could change it to a story about a music writer thats kind of the same thing. He'll have to struggle through changing times and of course there'd be coke all over the place. I guess i dont really know what I'm doing yet.

sounds kind of like Almost Famous.

I had to wait years until I finally had an idea on what I wanted to write on.  It was based off of a personal experience.  Since you are only in HS, wait until you have an idea than write...rather than try to write and think of an idea.

Alethia

write what you know.  im a senior, and in ninth grade i tried writing a gangster epic after seeing goodfellas for the first time in a few years, and it truly sucked, cuz i only knew them from movies.  i now write about things that i am familiar with, etc etc, and i am much happier with my work.  but then again that's just me.

molly

you can always do a research.

Chest Rockwell

Touche. I once had this idea to make a movie dealing with highschool. There'd be several different personalities (e.g. loser, slutty type, maybe even a few teachers, etc.) and they'd all be going through shit for different reasons. I haven't totally abandoned it yet...but I've kind of temporarily dismissed it for now because I'm not sure it'd be a good movie. Also, for some reason I want to have a movie wherein someone sponteously combusts. Has that been done before? And good point SHAFTR, except Almost Famous isn't exactly what I'm thinking of. I suppose it's pretty hard to come up with original plots that haven't been thought of before on some level.

molly

it is almost impossible to make a completely new plot, but you can always find an aspect of an old one that hasn't been used before, something funny, sth that makes you think of the film after it is over.

kotte

Quote from: SHAFTRwait until you have an idea than write...rather than try to write and think of an idea.

I disagree with that. The only way to become a good writer is to write.
Sure you need an idea you can write for a period of time but try starting with characters instead of a story. It's alot easier to make up interesting characters than find an idea. Out of the characters stories grow.

Quote from: ewardi now write about things that i am familiar with, etc etc, and i am much happier with my work. but then again that's just me.

Always a good thing but you shouldn't limit yourself to it. You can explore things too. Explore things you're interested in or fascinates you.