Mics?

Started by prophet, October 12, 2003, 05:38:27 PM

prophet

ok here it is. does the quality of the sound that you record on a mini dv cam depend on the mic used or on what you are recording? if i get a external mic with a cord and its a good mic will it have good quality sound? or should you record on DAT machines or other things?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Ghostboy

It'll depend on a lot of things. Like, if you get a really nice mic, but have to adapt it down to a mini-jack to use with your camera, then the mic's qualities will be moot. If you have a good mic, running into your miniDV camera via XLR cables, and the whole thing is running off a battery and not a ground current, then you'll be able to get nearly perfect sound. Recording to DATs are the best, of course, but you should consider whether its worth it to have to sync everything up in post. The difference in quality could be quite minimal, and it may not be worth the extra trouble. It just depends on the circumstances.

I've got a small page on microphones with a bit more info on the filmmaking page at my website (link below).

Link

Quote from: GhostboyI've got a small page on microphones with a bit more info on the filmmaking page at my website (link below).

Ghostboy -- Ready and Willing to Throw a Plug-In Whenever Possible

:wink:

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: GhostboyRecording to DATs are the best, of course, but you should consider whether its worth it to have to sync everything up in post.

Recording on Mini DV format yields near equal (read: not discernable by almost anyone but dogs) audio results as DAT... it all depends on how your inputing your sound... for optimal sound, you'll want a camera that can take XLR inputs and that has good sound options (auto gain control on/off, independent left/right volume control, etc.)... the higher end cameras have these features.

As far as MICs, do yourself a favor and get an AKG shotgun mic... they're expensive, but they'll be worth it in the long run! (remember, video is only half of the experience... why get an XL-1 and then settle for an "el cheapo" mic?).

Nick

prophet

" (remember, video is only half of the experience... why get an XL-1 and then settle for an "el cheapo" mic?).
"
very good point its pointless.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...