can this work?

Started by prophet, October 06, 2003, 07:01:35 PM

prophet

The Poor Man's wide screen:

Can you shoot with two cameras right next to each other not overlapping the center of the image, and then import both of the frames int he program your editing with put them into the main window, just like when shows on MTV have two frames on the screen and it looks like 2:35 but with a black line in the middle cant you take away the line?? or is it one of those things that sounds good in theory

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

metroshane

Don't forget that when two frames share a main frame...then each single frame only get's to use half of it's capabilities.

I don't think you can put two whole frames next to each other.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

prophet

yeah, i dont know the technial side i dont know if it could actualy work but ive seen it on MTV it looks just like 2:35 just with a line across it.

here is a better digram

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

subversiveproductions

I think that potentially you could do this, but the loss of image quality in both frames, and the near impossibility of any sort of moving camera shot hurts your production far more than the aspect ratio would help it.  Also, I assume that anyone shooting such a project would be editing on a personal computer, and I would have to think that rendering twice the amount of frames would be less than fun.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

Redlum

Also the distance seperating the cameras, even if its small would affect the curvature of light falling on the ccd's and so it would be hard to get them to match up perfectly in post. In theory of course, in theory communism works.

Cool diagrams though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

TheVoiceOfNick

Your diagrams make me think that this would be a good way to make 3D video... just overlap one over the other at 50% opacity each, and make one with a blue tint and one with a red tint... another interesting theory... could it work?  Someone should try it and let us all know.

Nick

prophet

i tryed it with my digitral camera the frames look different (just rent a 16mm)

Witkacy

Before all the tech-geek shit, what do you want to shoot in more detail.  I may have a different approach that you may appreciate.  It doesn't hurt to explore different avenues.... I'm more of a film geek than DV geek.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: subversiveproductionsI think that potentially you could do this, but the loss of image quality in both frames, and the near impossibility of any sort of moving camera shot hurts your production far more than the aspect ratio would help it.  Also, I assume that anyone shooting such a project would be editing on a personal computer, and I would have to think that rendering twice the amount of frames would be less than fun.
yes, a post-production hell.  

Redlum is right too...2 lenses=two different film planes...in theory sure, but, well, the communsim analogy is a good one.  

Btw, what's the deal with Widscreen and DV?...are the only 2 options, to use the shit looking 16x9 option?, or masking out a 4:3 frame in post?  Also, (with the 2nd option)is there any kinda way to at least trick the viewer into thinkin' they are really seeing a 16x9 image?  Maybe a wider lens closer to the subject?  (...I dunno if that makes sense.  sorry if I lost anyone.)

Witkacy

Really... you're looking into several different shooting and editing effects.... shoot like your life depends on it and anything you do in post cost that much more (although with DV it doesn't).  You can't make a great film in post.  Think about what works and what doesn't work.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: WitkacyYou can't make a great film in post.

Don't tell Woody Allen that about Annie Hall...

Nick

Witkacy

As in post... I don't mean editing.  More a sense of image and sound.

altmanish

The swamps are swamps but that is it.