exotic instruments

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 07:34:05 PM

Sleuth

I looked up Mellotrons last night and not too many people still make them.  Also they're very fucking expensive.  I will not own one.
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: SlorgI looked up Mellotrons last night and not too many people still make them.  Also they're very fucking expensive.  I will not own one.

there's a very good UNKLE song that uses Mellotron ...  it's called "What are you to me?"
context, context, context.

classical gas

Quote from: SlorgI looked up Mellotrons last night and not too many people still make them.  Also they're very fucking expensive.  I will not own one.

That's the instrument the Beatles used on "Strawberry Fields...", right?  If so, I heard they break easily or just stop working after a short period.

Sleuth

Quote from: classical gas

That's the instrument the Beatles used on "Strawberry Fields...", right?  If so, I heard they break easily or just stop working after a short period.

I think so.  A good example I'm positive of is Led Zeppelin - the Rain Song (comes in around 1:35)

I have a friend who found a really nice one at a thrift store for $25 but only one effect works
I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

The latest thing I'm interested in:

This is an Ondes Martenot.

http://www.jonnygreenwood.com/equipment/

mogwai

just ordered this one:

Sigur Rós

My sweet mogwai what is that weird looking instrument?

mogwai

Quote from: Sigur RósMy sweet mogwai what is that weird looking instrument?
if you go to the website jb linked it says:

The instrument that Jonny was playing during "Idioteque" on SNL is an RS Integrator Systems RS8000 Analog Synth. By changing the switches Jonny can change the depth and range of the sound. Jonny even talked about it on the official message board, "the synth making the drum sounds. It's as random as......gbeoireubgloirsg."

fddfdjdffeee?? ok?

Seraphim

Wow, nice topic! :)

I like...hmmm.. (thinking) for instance the Sitar (Ravi Shankar! :-D ) , the Clarinet, Scottish Bagpipe, Grecian Bouzouki, Turkish/ Arabic Oud/ Ud and of course, medieval Chinese Yang ch'in, as it it played so wonderfully by Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance f.i.).
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

picolas

"None can deny the awesome power
of a STINGSTRUMENT!"

- stingstrument inc.

RegularKarate

Sting's the Hurdy Gurdy man...

I'm down with

Seraphim

Quote from: freakerdudeThe doudouk has always amazed me from Peter Gabriel's use of it in some of his work. The Armenian Doudouk ...
WOW, does this instrument produce some kind of a clarinet-like sound?

I have seen two excellent Armenian films of the legendary Sergei Paradjanov, The Legend of Suram Fortress and Sayat Nova/ The Color of Pomegranates. In the first film some kind of instrument is played, I thought it was some kind of clarinet or something...great sound!

Maybe it is was a doudouk?
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

Jeremy Blackman

Wouldn't it be nice to have one of these?