TooL/A PERFECT CIRCLE

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 25, 2003, 10:17:49 PM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 14, 2006, 02:36:52 PM
A: how has this not leaked yet?

B: I really like that clip, I obviously can't make a judgement based on 30 secs, but this could easily be a recovery from the misstep that was Lateralus (though the cover certainly suggests otherwise).

Vicarious leaked, but that's it. 

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MZH00JDF
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Gamblour.

A lot of it sounds like Schism, which is surprising. It seems like that would be easy to stay clear of...the intro sounds just like that interlude from Schism, and the endings are kinda identical. I think it's pretty cool overall, just really different. For some reason, it reminds of Rush's late 90s albums compared to their genius stuff of the 80s.

Any transcript of lyrics? It sounds kinda political, about the war in Iraq..."I like to watch things die on TV" or whatever.
WWPTAD?

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on April 15, 2006, 09:38:07 PM
Any transcript of lyrics? It sounds kinda political, about the war in Iraq..."I like to watch things die on TV" or whatever.

http://10000-days.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=666&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

"Vicarious"

Eye on the TV
Cuz Tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be
Like about the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
He used a poison
In his tea
Kiss him goodbye
That's my kind of story
Its no fun till someone dies

Don't look at me like I am monster
Frown out your one face but with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While a mother
Holds her child
Watches her die
Hands to the sky
Crying
Why oh why!

Cuz I need to watch things die
From a distance
Vicariously I
Live while the world dies
You all need it too, don't lie

Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing
Neither the brave nor bold
Writers of stories told
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing

I need to watch things die from a good safe distance
Vicariously I
Live while the whole world dies
You all feel the same so

Blood like rain falling down
Drowning the brave and proud
The vampire, the warrior, carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmitter, sing to the death rattle

La la la la la la la lie
La la la la la la la lie
La la la la la la la lie
La la la la la la la lie

(Random TV broadcast)

Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head on out, your head breathes and give a listen,
I shouldn't have to say it all again
The universe is hostile, so impossible
Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been

We all feed
On tragedy
It's like blood for a vampire

Vicariously I
Live while the whole world dies
Much better you than I

That's the best one, there are some amendments after that in the link, but I haven't changed what I copied to reflect it.

I've heard that this album is going to be much more political than the past albums, but there isn't going to be anything to date the lyrics, so that it will still hopefully hold up years from now.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I hope 10,000 Days doesn't turn out like emotive.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

10,000 DAYS JUST LEAKED. let the hunt begin.
context, context, context.

I have some rapidshare links but the site's fucking busy and I don't have a premium account.  Here are the links, if you can get in tell me if it's the real deal.

http://tinyurl.com/ewv3z
http://tinyurl.com/fbq95

I hear the real thing's up on Oink and the one on mininova's a fake.

I downloaded the first link, it's the first ten songs plus the eleventh, but when you click on the eleventh song it tells you you need the second folder.  Anyway it's the real deal.

Gamblour.

Just got it off of oink......haven't had time for a good listen.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

I really love it up until Rosetta Stoned, then it kind of stops being that good for me, but I still need to listen to it a few times.

The Talk-box or whatever solo on Jambi is fuggin rad.

polkablues

First impressions: it flows really well.  The sort of album you kind of have to listen to all at once.  With the exception of Vicarious, there are no songs that really stand out as individual "songs", which is reminiscent of the latter half of Lateralus.  You will never hear a song from this album (besides Vicarious) on the radio.  Although The Pot is kind of a dumb song, I'm obsessed with the way Maynard's voice sounds on it.  It's a type of singing I've never heard him do before (almost like Kettle and the Drum on Emotive, but different).

So far, based on one listen, I'd put it above Lateralus, but still a long ways below Aenima.  Still, any new Tool is cause for celebration.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on April 19, 2006, 07:22:49 PM
So far, based on one listen, I'd put it above Lateralus, but still a long ways below Aenima.

will you be my friend?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't get how you're placing Lateralus under an album you've only heard once, which is still lower than Aenima... what didn't you like about Lateralus?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: Walrus on April 19, 2006, 08:04:24 PM
what didn't you like about Lateralus?

Too prog.  All head, no heart.  Not bad, don't get me wrong.  Just not as good.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

So I'm in the middle of Right in Two, after my first real straight-through listen.

I agree that it flows very well...my favorite sequence is 10,000 Days (didn't care much for Wings of Marie) through Rosetta Stoned.
I don't think The Pot is a dumb song at all. like Hooker with a Penis, it's got a sense of humor. His style of singing on that song is very rough, like he's spitting out every syllable. Also, I absolutely love Lipan Conjuring. It's like Eon Blue Apocalypse and Mantra, but, like you said Polka, with heart. And the narrative of Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned is intriguing, I wanna get my hands on the lyrics, the official ones.

I've read two things about this album: that they were gonna play with time signatures a lot and that it would be heavier than Lateralus. The latter I think is very untrue. Probably the most contemplative, slow and patient songs are on this album. However, time signatures....my god. Polka nailed Lateralus--it's very prog. The time signature play there is all math, it's very simple to hear it. On the song Lateralus, you feel every hemiola layering on top of each other. Unlike Polka, that's why I love that album. 10,000 Days, especially Jambi, seem to get lost in their own time signatures. It's still cool, but very hard to just sit and follow when you don't know where the next beat will land. It almost gets bogged down in it all, but never too much. That's probably my only complaint, and it's pretty minor. I think this album is great, as great as Lateralus. Aenima will always win with me.

Holy shit, Right in Two just went out of control. Very cool song....ok album over.

WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: polkablues on April 20, 2006, 12:18:05 AM
Quote from: Walrus on April 19, 2006, 08:04:24 PM
what didn't you like about Lateralus?

Too prog.  All head, no heart.  Not bad, don't get me wrong.  Just not as good.

I'm inclined to disagree here.  I think that Lateralus certainly did have a lot more concentration than Opium or Undertow, but I don't think they lost any heart at all.  Songs like Grudge, Ticks and Leeches, and Lateralus immediately come to mind.  Their other albums were amazing, but they really became mesmerizing by mixing the math into it.  It was still heavy and was an adrenaline rush, but still had a level of intricacy that made it a nearly flawless album for me.

Maybe I've just got a softspot for prog rock.  I just love how they can present complicated music that gives it a unique stamp (and Tool is VERY unique) like Dream Theater or Yes.   Mostly it's good to see such talented musicians putting their talents to work without being overly pretentious.  The Mars Volta can drive away possible fans sometimes as it might comes off as too artsy, sometimes becoming so complex that you can't really mosh to it, but either appreciate it or hate it.  Tool finds a great mixture, showcasing their abilities and still bringing their emotion into the music.  I am still yet to hear 10,000 Days, but I don't think it could tarnish my opinion of Lateralus.