Gangs Of New York

Started by ElPandaRoyal, January 08, 2003, 05:00:27 PM

xerxes

Quote from: cecil b. demented
i think i know what you mean. that happened to me during jeepers creepers too. im not sure about this but i was told that this is due to the film being printed on different stocks. the print(s) thats playing in the theatre, not from when it was originally shot.

thats what i thought at first, but i talked to a few friends who saw it, and they noticed it too.

Cecil

Quote from: xerxes
thats what i thought at first, but i talked to a few friends who saw it, and they noticed it too.

from different theatres and the color changes happen at the same spots in the movie?

thats weird.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazI have a friend who works in the film industry that says Gangs' original running time was about 3 hours and 40 minutes, or something along those lines, and Miramax made him cut it.

This 3 hr. 40 cut was only a rough assembly cut. It was not Scorsese's cut or intended as a release cut. I think Scorsese's final was closer to three hours before Harvey "Scissorhands" Weinstein "influenced" him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

I really liked the first 1½ hours or so, but then it all started to get mixed up. I've always thought Scorsese was great a great storyteller. So I guess either the script-writer or the editor fucked it up. It's a real shame because this film really had potential.   :cry:

........Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible. Almost too good!

cine

I highly doubt it was the editor; she's always on the ball. I would blame this on the screenplay itself.. Scorsese did the best he could and it was magnificent.

Derek

Saw this again last night. I have to disagree, I don't believe anything was muddled or the story lost focus halfway through. It wasn't simply a period piece Death Wish, the revenge story was informed by the political climate and setting, which was the point of the movie, I think.

Perhaps it was the best movie I saw in 2002. Can I go back and change my xixax award winners votes?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mrsimonrayCan ANYONE explain why Scorsese's commentary is "continued" on disc 2. Please don't tell me that the film goes over two discs!!!
:shock:

Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York will arrive in the ultimate failure to win Oscars edition. While the film may not have won at everyone's favorite fashion show this disc will give fans of this great film some great features including commentary by Mr. Scorsese, five featurettes on the making of the film as well as the Discover Channel Special "Uncovering the real Gangs of New York." The U2 music video for "The hands that built America" and the theatrical trailer in widescreen round out the features for the second disc. The film is so long in fact that to include the 2.35:1 WS anamorphic transfer as well as Dolby 5.1 and DTS tracks it will be split over the two discs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

THE MOVIE OVER TWO DISKS????!!!!!!!

Why?Why?Why?Why????

I'd pay an extra ten bucks a disc for some new technology so they wouldn't have to do this.

On the plus side, nice to see a Scorsese commentary for a change.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Chest_Rockwell

Quote from: xerxesso did anyone else get the weird color changes in the middle of a couple scenes???

i think i know what you mean. that happened to me during jeepers creepers too. im not sure about this but i was told that this is due to the film being printed on different stocks. the print(s) thats playing in the theatre, not from when it was originally shot.

Die...It's a sin to even mention a movie like Jeepers Creepers in the same sentence as a Scorsese film!!!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge". -A.E.

Ghostboy

The color changed at both theaters I saw it at. Its definitely a lab mistake...there are always very minute changes from reel to reel, or when the lab makes a hot splice, but they're usually undetectable. And I'm surprised that the problem was so widespread in this case.

Cecil

Quote from: Chest_RockwellDie...It's a sin to even mention a movie like Jeepers Creepers in the same sentence as a Scorsese film!!!

to me jeepers creepers was a better film than gangs. hows that for a "sin?"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Chest_RockwellDie...It's a sin to even mention a movie like Jeepers Creepers in the same sentence as a Scorsese film!!!

to me jeepers creepers was a better film than gangs. hows that for a "sin?"

jeepers creepers is the ONLY film in my life, that I walked out of the theater BEFORE the credits rolled.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

That's the only one? You have more tolerance than I do. Then again, you probably don't actually go see as many bad movies as I do...thus fewer chance to walk out.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: GhostboyThat's the only one? You have more tolerance than I do. Then again, you probably don't actually go see as many bad movies as I do...thus fewer chance to walk out.

yea, ive become cautious about seeing films in the theater.  i think i have a good "peice of shit" radar. someone dragged me to see jeepers creepers, otherwise i wouldnt have seen it.

what films have you walked out on?
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

Well, I still remember the very first one...Mortal Kombat 2. Most recently...The Real Cancun (only took ten minutes!). I've walked out of quite a few...some of the ones that stick out in my head are Wild Things, and (the only 'art' film in the bunch) Human Traffic. Most of them, like Nutty Professor 2 and Loser (both in the same day) are no brainers. I don't know why I bothered to watch them in the first place. The nice thing about being an unpaid member of the press is that you can see the damn things for free, but not get penalized for leaving early. But I've still left quite a few that I've paid for, too.