What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

MacGuffin

Tom Cruise sweet on 'Salt' role
Columbia in talks with George to direct
Source: Variety

Columbia Pictures is in negotiations with Terry George to direct "Edwin A. Salt," a Kurt Wimmer-scripted drama that is being developed as a star vehicle for Tom Cruise.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Sunil Perkash are producing.

Col's hope is for Cruise to play the title character, a CIA officer who is fingered by a defector as a Russian sleeper spy. Salt must elude capture by his superiors and sets out to reunite with his family and prove his innocence.

Cruise has been busy this year making the Robert Redford-directed "Lions for Lambs" and the Bryan Singer-directed "Valkyrie" for United Artists after he and partner Paula Wagner revived the shingle. But he has been eyeing several other projects for possible pre-strike films. Despite the recent Sturm und Drang in Germany over "Valkyrie," one other possibility is a remake of the Doris Dorrie-directed German comedy "Men," which has director Todd Phillips attached at Warner Bros.

Cruise has been intrigued for months by "Edwin A. Salt," and the studio has been engaged in finding the right director. George, who last directed "Hotel Rwanda," just finished "Reservation Road," a Focus Features drama that stars Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Connelly and Mira Sorvino.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

B.C. Long

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

See, that's who Britney needs help from. Not Dr. Phil.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

If he's the second most powerful person in Scientology, then who's the first?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

haha he was Tom's best man. His hobbies include riding motorcycles and eating Jewish babies.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

I was seriously waiting for him to say:

"I am here to enlighten you"

or

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve - it's what. you. take."

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Just Withnail

So what exactly is "the ballpark" and how do I "get out of it"? Has Tom Cruise just threatened to kill me?

polkablues

More of Tom accepting the award for craziest man in the asylum.  Watching the first video, I can't help but wonder at what point did Tom Cruise actually turn into Frank T.J. Mackey in real life?  I kept waiting for him to ask everyone to open up their blue booklets and then knocking over a table.
My house, my rules, my coffee

bonanzataz

god, take a look at the first page of this thread. was the board ever REALLY this boring? really?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Alexandro

well, we do have a history of prefering fill this place with posts about stupid bullshit more than with actual film discussion...but it's fun...

To merge both of these tendencies on the Tom Cruise subject I gotta say that his performance in Magnolia (his best along with Collateral) always freaks me out a little bit because he really seems to be a little bit like Frank Mackey in his day to day life. The overwhelming self confidence, the hidden "issues" that come out every now and then in the way he speaks, his crazy laughter. He relished in that character and it shows. It's a little bit like Travolta dressing up as a fat woman and having the time of his life cause finally he can live up his fantasy in front of everyone...

Career wise, Cruse is fucking dead unless he starts making movies again and concentrates only on the work. Good movies with good directors can save anyone's career.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?