Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

Pozer

Quote from: rustinglassDoes anybody else think that the girl is going to be a fantastic actress. That bit when she is eating her sandwich and flapping her hand at the same time, it's so cool and you can't really teach that stuff, she looks so natural in the film.

one of my favourite lines: "why, daddy? were you being a baaaaaaaaaaad daddy?"

I love that line too. Total Tarantino line by a little child.

rustinglass

Quote from: Pubrick
please. that little girl tops Aliens and Lost World in terms of "little girls that did nothing for the movie".

Come on, P, it's not like it was her job to save the film at that stage but could the movie be as good without her? of course not. Plus, the girl in Aliens is mostly annoying and I don't  even remeber a girl in Lost World. Even with only five or six lines, she is -as the black kid in the beggining- ubercool in every scene she's in, even when she's chewing. And she makes it totally believable that she was raised by Bill and that was crucial to make the "Bill, Beatrix, BB" family conversation scene work.

I think that, in a way, the children in this film work as bookends, in the sense that we could mirror the vernita green scene in the end.

I can't express myself in english, can't find the words.......
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Quote from: rustinglassI don't  even remeber a girl in Lost World.

You don't remember thinking, 'Where did Ian Malcolm get a kid from all of a sudden, and why is she black?'
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

Oh yeah, she was up in the crane thing..... I remember that
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alethia

Quote from: themodernage02yes, i caught a few bits of it last night while my sister had it on and some of it really just annoyed me.  

KILL BILL VOL 2 = THE BIGGEST LETDOWN SINCE THE MATRIX RELOADED

what do you find annoying?  the stuff that bugged me when i saw it in the theatre disappeared when i saw it again the other night, wierdly....

and also, i think i remember you saying (when it first came out) even though u were slightly disappointed with it u still loved it, but as time goes on it seems as if you've begun to hate it, so do u like it at all at this point?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02

KILL BILL VOL 2 = THE BIGGEST LETDOWN SINCE THE MATRIX RELOADED REVOLUTIONS

tpfkabi

any word when the combined film will make screens and then DVD?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

rustinglass

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

KILL BILL VOL. 2 MATRIX REVOLUTIONS = THE BIGGEST LETDOWN SINCE THE MATRIX RELOADED
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

Quote from: Pubrick
please. that little girl tops Aliens and Lost World in terms of "little girls that did nothing for the movie".

Hey wait a sec, Newt did a shitload for Aliens!

Agreed on The Lost World girl, though.

Alethia

but the little girl in the lost world got to beat the shit out of raptors with her olympic level gymnastics that apparently got her kicked off the team!

ElPandaRoyal

I still find it hard to believe that The Lost World credits show something like "directed by Steven Spielberg". It's been years since I've seen it and I'm still trying to find out what the hell that was (I think the kid character sums up everything the movie was... a shitload of completely pointless scenes about as good as ones directed by Michael Bay but with dinnossaurs in it).

That said, little BB was a great girl and was great on a great movie as the daughter of the great Kiddo.

That said, lemme go back to my vacations.
Si

ono

What I find particularly amusing about this thread is how so many people are praising this movie, and now, after the fog has lifted, the feeling has left, more and more are seeing this movie for what it really is.

That said, I FINALLY saw this tonight.  I enjoyed it on a superficial, visceral level, much more than I thought I would, but I've gotta agree with P, and to a lesser extent SoNowThen and mutinyco.  I really question anyone's dedication to cinephilia if they evey question for a second the greatness of Pulp Fiction (truly an almost perfect film) and the style and class of Jackie Brown (Tarantino's most mature, accomplished work) and consider this movie of all things any sort of second coming.  It's not.  At best, it was empty entertainment -- this is not the Tarantino I know, and if it's who he's become, I don't want to see any more of it.  Yes, it had me on the edge of my seat at several points.  It drew me in.  It had somewhat compelling characters.  It made cute references to films of the past (and I particularly enjoyed the New Wave-y feel of the first part of the movie).  It had so many compelling moments, but that's all they were.  They were empty.

To compare: it's the same feeling I had when I saw Mulholland Drive for the first time.  A lot of great scenes that didn't really add up to anything.  Except with Mulholland Drive, I was a lot more angry at the end.  Here, I had fun.  The Pai Mei segment was inspired and actually had something to do with the film.  The twisting, the turning, and the subversion were all inspired, but I'm seeing all these ideas and concepts that don't really serve any purpose except to subvert.  There is no heart here.  The subversion here in Kibble worked, yes.  The ending fit, the closing credits with Bride driving were perfect.  But something about the whole package just doesn't mesh.

A friend of mine put it this way: it seems like there's a bit of whim here, where character's motives are swayed and bent to serve the plot, to serve the action.  One minute, a character has one motivation for doing something, the next it's gone.  It's all done this way to push along the plot, to push along this final confrontation, when none of this is logically feasible.

Carradine was great, as was Thurman.  Their acting should be commended.  It was nice having a "villain" (if you could call him that) who you can feel empathy for.  Thurman crying/almost laughing on the bathroom floor after it's all over -- some sort of huge catharsis -- was one of the most unique scenes ever.  Ghostboy was right in saying that we'll never see another movie like this, and that scene was one reason.  But again I am reminded that just because there's one good scene here and there doesn't mean the whole movie is great.  Tarantino has all the threads here, but forgot to tie the knots tight.

brockly

i remember saying here once that i thought vol. 2 was a better film than vol. 1. well, i take that back, because it definitely isnt. while i believe kill bill as a whole is a great film, the more i watch vol. 2,  the less i like that closing chapter. i thought it was great on the first few viewings, but now i just get the urge to turn the fucking thing off after the amazing scenes leading up to it. the esteban scene has become almost unbearable. not until uma and carradine have that final exchange of dialogue, right after the karren kim flashback, does the film pick itself back up again, and the ending is truly superb. i love the next morning sequence. but as far as vol. 1 goes, well, people say that pulp fiction is an almost perfect film. i agree, and i like kill bill vol. 1 even more. so yes, i can now accept the fact that vol. 2 was a pretty big disappointment for tarantino. its a real shame, considering the "lonely grave of paula schultz" chapter is one of the best things he's has ever directed.

Quote from: ono. on the clerks 2 threadTarantino?  Check.  Smith?  Check.  Alright, people, place your bets on the director with at least SOME potential and talent who's the next to sell out and lose your interest.

sorry ono, but i think this comment is somewhat absurd. in my opinion, tarantino is one of the greatest filmmakers out there today, and the fact that he's made his first not-so-spectacular film since dogs doesnt change that. and if it does, i fail to see how the guy's "sold out". fair enough if he's lost your interest, though. and your smith remark is justifiable. i also agree with most of what you said in your review, apart from the mulholland drive comparison.

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: NEON MERCURY

KILL BILL VOL. 2 MATRIX REVOLUTIONS = THE BIGGEST LETDOWN SINCE THE MATRIX RELOADED

you guys were actually expecting the matrix sequals to be good? if anything, i was impressed by reloaded, and thats not to say that i liked it

Just Withnail

Don't know about selling out, but when you pay off six years of anticipation with Kill Bill, I've lost interest.

Alethia

yea, after some time having passed, i agree.  i wouldnt rank this above anything but reservoir dogs...its good, but it doesnt resonate like fiction and jackie do