What DVDs did you get for the Christmas?

Started by Banky, December 03, 2003, 01:16:54 PM

***beady***

I've asked for Pirates of the Caribean. If I dont get it, then I'm just gonna buy after xmas!

godardian

I got the Hitchcock Criterion box for my brother and sister-in law, I'm getting The Two Towers SE for my partner, and... I think that's about it for the DVDs, actually.

I asked for things I'm reluctant to buy for myself, like the Fargo and Pulp Fiction SEs. I always hate to re-buy something that's already on my shelf.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: godardianmy partner
Listen here partner!!!  very nice av.  classy, yet cool.

godardian

Quote from: aclockworkjjclassy, yet cool.

That's Mr. Stiller for ya. I met him once. He's much more confident and attractive than his movie persona would lead you to believe... but lord, is he short! You just wanna put 'im in your pocket. :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: aclockworkjjclassy, yet cool.

That's Mr. Stiller for ya. I met him once. He's much more confident and attractive than his movie persona would lead you to believe... but lord, is he short! You just wanna put 'im in your pocket. :)

LoL, I think he's an underappreciated comic, well not genius, but a really unique taste of humor. I actually got to see where his apartment was in NY, my friend said she says hey to him everyday while she walks to class.
WWPTAD?

Slick Shoes

I don't like receiving DVDs from people unless

a) they know me so well that they are able to pick something out that I most likely would have bought for myself, or

b) i specifically told them what to get me, which sucks because it's not really much of a surprise, which is unfortunate because that's kinda the fun of receiving gifts.

In the past I've gotten a movie i really didn't like, then sold it, then had to make up a lie when the person came over and, having perused my dvd shelf, was curious as to why the movie they got me wasn't there.

Pedro

I made a list of about 50 dvds i wanted and i give copies to all the people that would buy me something.

modage

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI made a list of about 50 dvds i wanted and i give copies to all the people that would buy me something.

how do you avoid doubles?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: Slick Shoes

In the past I've gotten a movie i really didn't like, then sold it, then had to make up a lie when the person came over and, having perused my dvd shelf, was curious as to why the movie they got me wasn't there.

The person giving that gift was not in the right gift-giving spirit, then. Primary gifts should always be something you know or at least believe the person will want. Taste-imposition gifts should only be supplementary, if at all.

That's godardian etiquette rule number 451, and you can take it to the bank.

Slick Shoes

You're exactly right, Godardian. I think too many gifts are bought out of a sense of duty, which is sad, and Christmas is way too commercial.

Ernie

Here's what I actually ended up ordering just a second ago....

DVD's

brother's keeper
citizen kane
coming home
the cook, the thief, his wife & her lover
dark star
down by law
drop dead fred
five corners
the lion king
little monsters
my life to live
salesman
the sandlot
shadows
the shooting
the thing
the thin red line
the third man

VHS

hoop dreams
over the edge
streetwise
wild at heart

BOOKS

cassevetes on cassavetes
godard on godard
how we talk: american regional english today

I still actually might be able to get The Art of Buster Keaton box set from my grandma who I really haven't talked to about it yet....it depends if we can find it around here. Either way, whether I get that or not, I'd say this is the best stuff I could possibly get right now, I fucking worked on this list harder than ever and I couldn't be happier with it, it is just awesome, you gotta admit. The best part is, it only came to $366.00 including shipping! Amazon rules!!!

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Pedro the WombatI made a list of about 50 dvds i wanted and i give copies to all the people that would buy me something.

how do you avoid doubles?

I second that, this is something I've thought about doing just to mix it up a little...rather than just having my mom buy them all then get all the money from people...duplicates would just suck though.

EDIT - shit! sorry for double posting! I meant to copy it and paste it into my other thread.

aclockworkjj

I didn't get one.... :?

ComixFan

I'm almost certain my sisters got me Grosse Pointe Blank and Mallrats for me. I'm not sure what DVDs my mom's getting me though...hopefully Two Towers extended.

Thecowgoooesmooo

I know for sure I've got the Kubrick box set coming, even though I own 2001, eyes wide shot, and clockwork orange already...

i know im getting the sopranos 4th season box set because I crawled up under the tree, took out some scissors, cut a small slit at the corner, i then carefully peeled back the wrapping as any skilled bomb technician would... and there it was... i then promptly scotched it back up, and hopped up on my feet, as my sister walked by...

chris