All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

MacGuffin

Chill.

I expressed clearly in my first review post why I didn't think it was a petty gripe. It's the same thing I keep reiterating. You focused on my back up post, which leads my to think you "ignored" my first one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinwhich leads my to think you "ignored" my first one.
hm, i did actually. oh well.
under the paving stones.

Ernie

I tried to make sense...I really did!

No, I guess I just like the movie too much to put it down...sorry Mac and P.

SoNowThen

p, why would you say ebs doesn't know "love, or what this movie's about"?

Do you know him? Did I miss some sarcasm or something, because otherwise that's just fucking mean as hell.

who are you to say what he knows or doesn't know?

btw, before you turn on me, I liked your explanation for the ending...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mindfuck

Quote from: MacGuffin
Answer me this then: Why does Noel, after having expressed that Paul was the only guy she wanted to spend more than five minutes with, lets him in on her 'fish hook' story, and trusts with her viginity secret, decide to "cheat" on him, and herself? To me, it seemed a plot device to get at what you guys are fawning over. She says after that, she knew she loved him, but I don't believe that. She loved him before that.

See, to me this was the whole point of the movie. I've been there in real life... this kinda shit happens ALL the time. I felt the relationship buildup... I placed the couple on a pedestal... and then she goes and does the unthinkable for no good reason at all and tries to tell him she loves him. I felt that pain all over again for a bit.

Not only that, but they nailed the transformation perfectly. Before the confession scene I held Noel in a certain light and just like Paul says, afterwards it feels like shes a stranger. I wish they had focused on that for the last part of the movie instead of Paul's gradual acceptance and final river scene. That whole part really seemed fake to me.

I think my problem with the movie is that enough of it hit me so personally that I wanted it to end a certain way. It seems like they decided to make the ending about the big picture when I wish they would have stuck to focusing on the people. It would have made things feel a bit less cheesy in my opinion.

SoNowThen

So, I finally got the chance to sit down and watch my dvd.

I'd have to say, now after two watchings, my favorite scene in the movie is the talk between Kit and Paul at the 3/4 mark of the movie. The "I'm gonna be a daddy" scene.

And of course, Land Dog Water Dog.

Um, but one thing, since I've had the soundtrack for so long, I was listening for the songs, and didn't hear Beautiful Stars. Anybody remember when it's in the flick???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

I just saw this flick last night (for the first time) and was completely blown away.  The performances, the scenes (each like a painting or vignette)...all were just fucking fantastic.  
My favorite scene would have to be the bar scene...you'll find my fave quote at the bottom of my posting.....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenDo you know him?
yes, intimately.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Pubrick

well, i'm not one to besmirch a fair maiden's name..
under the paving stones.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenSo, I finally got the chance to sit down and watch my dvd.

I'd have to say, now after two watchings, my favorite scene in the movie is the talk between Kit and Paul at the 3/4 mark of the movie. The "I'm gonna be a daddy" scene.

And of course, Land Dog Water Dog.

Um, but one thing, since I've had the soundtrack for so long, I was listening for the songs, and didn't hear Beautiful Stars. Anybody remember when it's in the flick???

I don't think it's in it unfortunately...I love that fucking song..."Streets were Raining" too, that's my favorite one and I don't think it was in the movie either...I don't remember for sure though.

SoNowThen

it's in the credits and on the soundtrack... I'm confused...

Jake_82

ok, I saw this last night, went through an ordeal to get it (finally ended up going to blockbusters, which had 6 copies), and I really enjoyed it, but I think towards the end I sort of lost focus and didn't really get certain parts (ie, the scene where he goes to her house and the stupid guy's making macaroni or whatever, and then their discussion). I definitely need to watch this a second time, and if I have time I'll check out the extras and commentary. It makes me really want to see George Washington, too, which I recently went through an ordeal to find that not one video store in this town carries it on DVD (my vcr is currently fucked up, and I'd rather watch the DVD anyway).
your reality is at the end of your dream

Pozer

Quote from: mindfuck
Quote from: MacGuffin
Answer me this then: Why does Noel, after having expressed that Paul was the only guy she wanted to spend more than five minutes with, lets him in on her 'fish hook' story, and trusts with her viginity secret, decide to "cheat" on him, and herself? To me, it seemed a plot device to get at what you guys are fawning over. She says after that, she knew she loved him, but I don't believe that. She loved him before that.

See, to me this was the whole point of the movie. I've been there in real life... this kinda shit happens ALL the time. I felt the relationship buildup... I placed the couple on a pedestal... and then she goes and does the unthinkable for no good reason at all and tries to tell him she loves him. I felt that pain all over again for a bit.

Not only that, but they nailed the transformation perfectly. Before the confession scene I held Noel in a certain light and just like Paul says, afterwards it feels like shes a stranger. I wish they had focused on that for the last part of the movie instead of Paul's gradual acceptance and final river scene. That whole part really seemed fake to me.

I think my problem with the movie is that enough of it hit me so personally that I wanted it to end a certain way. It seems like they decided to make the ending about the big picture when I wish they would have stuck to focusing on the people. It would have made things feel a bit less cheesy in my opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more. This pretty much nails my perspective on the film and how it hit me personally as well so I'll just simply agree with MF.

That DGG has got himself quite the career ahead of him.

Disco Stu

I rented this movie along with Bowling For Columbine on Tuesday and incidentally it was All the Real Girls that I was thinking about the next day.  I can see why some people love this movie (like I did) and I can see how some people hate it or have some problems with it.

I probably wouldn't have known to check out All the Real Girls (or George Washington for that matter) if not for this site so I'm glad you people appreciate good films and try to get others to appreciate them too.  And it's great to see that there are very few Kevin Smith fans here.  That's always a bonus.   :-D
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!