Indiana Jones 5

Started by MacGuffin, July 28, 2008, 12:56:52 PM

MacGuffin

Lucas Considers Indy 5
"If I can come up with another idea that they like, we'll do another."

In spite of the critical mauling Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull received, George Lucas has been discussing the possibility of a fifth film in the franchise, stating, "If I can come up with another idea that they like, we'll do another."

Speaking to The Sunday Times, Lucas said that putting together the recently released sequel was a challenge. "Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying 'I want it this way' and 'I want it that way', whereas when I first did Jones, I just said 'We'll do it this way' - and that was much easier.

"But now", he went on, "I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys too, so it's a little hard on a practical level."

Lucas also elaborated on the creative differences he and Spielberg have recently been experiencing. "We still have the issues about the direction we'd like to take." he explained.

"I'm in the future, Steven's in the past. He's trying to drag it back to the way they were, I'm trying to push it to a whole different place. So still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It's kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we'll see where we are able to take the next one."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

lucas really has a way to get on my nerves. he's in the future? all he has, all he does, all he ever says concerns projects that were born in the fucking 70's...he's the icon of living in the past. everytime he stops working on some star wars toys he starts another spin off, rapidly commiting creative suicide for his legacy and send it to where a lot of people think it belongs: irrelevancy. indiana jones has the spielberg element and works despite george lucas, not because of him.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Alexandro on July 28, 2008, 01:50:54 PM
lucas really has a way to get on my nerves. he's in the future? all he has, all he does, all he ever says concerns projects that were born in the fucking 70's...he's the icon of living in the past. everytime he stops working on some star wars toys he starts another spin off, rapidly commiting creative suicide for his legacy and send it to where a lot of people think it belongs: irrelevancy. indiana jones has the spielberg element and works despite george lucas, not because of him.
:bravo:
Si

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Lucas: Indy V Research In Works

George Lucas told SCI FI Wire that preliminary research has begun on a story for a possible fifth Indiana Jones movie, but added that such a film is one of dozens of potential projects currently crowding his schedule.

"It sits on the shelf there as one of 50 projects that I have to deal with," Lucas said in an interview on Aug. 4 at his Big Rock Ranch in San Rafael, Calif., where he was promoting the upcoming computer-animated feature film Star Wars: The Clone Wars. "And if I can come up with a story ..."

But, Lucas added: "It's very hard to come up with stories for that thing. You know, It's really impossible. Because it has to be real. It has to be something that actually happened. It has to be something people know about. It has to be supernatural. It's a really difficult research project. Which they're researching now. You know, and last time it took 14 years. So ... "

Lucas was referring to this summer's fourth Indiana Jones film, subtitled The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which was in development for more than a decade before the pieces finally came together.

In recent press interviews, Lucas has said that the three principals--himself, director Steven Spielberg and star Harrison Ford--all have to agree on the idea for a fifth film to move forward. He has also said that Spielberg is more amenable to the idea of a further installment than he was last time around.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

MTV EXCLUSIVE: 'Indiana Jones 5' Won't Center on Shia LaBeouf, Insists George Lucas

This past May, two weeks before "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" opened worldwide, George Lucas told reporters at the Cannes Film Festival that he already had an idea for a possible "Indiana Jones V," and that it centered, not on Dr. Henry Jones, but on his son, Mutt Williams (Shia LaBeouf).

Three knife-flipping, tree-swinging, accident having months later and that idea? It's kind of, well, "Nuked the Fridge," Lucas told MTV News.

Asked whether he still considered Mutt Williams a strong enough character to drive an "Indiana Jones" film, Lucas was adamant that Indy just isn't Indy without Indy. Or, to put it another way: No.

"Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones," Lucas said, dismissively adding about a character he helped create that, "If it was Mutt Williams it would be 'Mutt Williams and the Search for Elvis' or something."

It's unclear what changed Lucas's mind about the character, or whether he would necessarily return at all – even in a sidekick capacity. That said, "The Search for Elvis" is hilarious.

Of course, talk of an eventual "Indiana Jones V" is something of a giant hypothetical anyway, even as Lucas continued to stroke the fire of anticipation at his Big Rock Ranch near San Francisco, insisting that work IS being done to find a suitable object for another installment.

"We ARE looking for something for him to go after," Lucas said. "They are very hard to find. It's like archeology. It takes a huge amount of research to come up with something that will fit."

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

don't say it's like archeology. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jtm

don't want Indy 5.

don't want it at all.

and i used to LOVE Indy.

:yabbse-sad:

jtm

i'm psyched for Indy 5

i really hope it happens.

and i don't even like Indy!

:yabbse-smiley:

jigzaw

I would see an Indy 5.  But after 4, my expectations will be WAY lowered. 

Alexandro

They say is gonna be as good as Vibes...

MacGuffin

Harrison Ford says George Lucas in 'think mode' on another 'Indiana Jones' film
Source: Los Angeles Times

Harrison Ford said Friday that momentum is building for a fifth movie in the "Indiana Jones"  franchise and that George Lucas is already cooking up a suitable plot for a heroic senior citizen with a penchant for whips and fedoras.

"It's crazy but great," the 66-year-old Ford said. "George is in think mode right now."

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" grossed $318 million in the U.S. alone and $770 million worldwide and is expected to be powerhouse seller on DVD and Blu-Ray when it arrives in stores Oct. 14. It was a film that many people in Hollywood assumed would never be made considering the difficulty in finding the right time and the right script to reunite Ford, Lucas and franchise director Steven Spielberg after the 1989 hit "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

Now, though, the latest success and the fact that the franchise's old machinery was revived has Ford thinking a fifth movie is not only a viable idea, but an attractive one.

"It's automatic, really, we did well with the last one and with that having done well and been a positive experience, it's not surprising that some people want to do it again," Ford said.

I asked Ford who specifically is stirring up the idea of another revival, whether it was Lucas, Spielberg or the star himself? "Really, it comes from the ethos, from the ether. It's natural. It's a way of nature, of course, success breed opportunities ... also we don't stay as closely in contact as have in the last year, that's part of it." 

Ford said, though, he would not be game to making an animated "Indiana Jones" film, a notion that became at least a possible option after Lucas took his "Star Wars" theatrical saga into the computer-generated realm with "The Clone Wars" this summer.

"I'm not philosophically against doing animation roles but not for Indiana Jones," Ford said. "I'd hate to see it reduced in any way from the movies that we have done and the way we have done them."

The iconic star said he had some doubts that his long-gone archaeologist hero would be an automatic 21st century sensation.

"It was never a lead-pipe cinch," Ford said. "It was a calculated business risk but I believe it paid off. I was somewhat surprised and gratified to see it did the business that it did. It was successful in almost every market. The first time we showed it to a disinterested outside audience was at Cannes. That' s a crap shoot of the first order. Not only is that audience sophisticated and film-knowledgable, it's French! And it's their country and their festival and we somewhat expected to be seriously slapped around. But we were not, we were embraced...it was very gratifying."

The action hero long ago became accustomed to seeing his likeness on action figures, but even he was taken aback by the proliferation of his face and fedora this past summer as Indiana Jones became a pop-culture blizzard.

"It was everywhere I turned, I was on a Corn Flakes box or something else. That's what it takes now to do a good job of marketing a movie like this."

Did the star's 7-year-old son like the movie? "He hasn't seen it. It's a little scary for his experience at this point." What about the toy aisle, was he jolted to see Daddy on so many boxes? "He doesn't take it personally. It doesn't mean very much to him."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Harrison Ford Says Fifth 'Indiana Jones' Is In 'Primary Stages,' Though 'Crystal Skull' Wore Him Out
For his return to the iconic hero, Ford is one of the actors we're thankful for in 2008.
By Josh Horowitz; MTV

The leaves are falling, and the turkey is practically in the oven. Yes, according to the calendar, it's time to take stock and give thanks. So that's precisely what we're doing by talking to the actors and filmmakers that made 2008 a memorable year at the movies — a year filled with self-loathing kick-ass superheroes, Manolo-wearing women and the return of a very familiar man in a hat.

Sure, we all cringed a little when Shia swung through the trees like a monkey, and Ray Winstone is clearly no John Rhys-Davies, but after 19 long years away, didn't everything just seem a little better when Indiana Jones graced the big screen again? Audiences and critics may have bickered over the worth of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," but we came out in droves to watch Harrison Ford whip his young competitors at the box office one more time.

Ford joined MTV News to look back with at the summer of "Indiana Jones," and he even gave us some hope for one more triumphant adventure for Henry Jones Jr. John Williams, fire up the orchestra!

MTV: You must have gotten a kick out of seeing "Indiana Jones" at the heart of our popular culture again after all these years.

Harrison Ford: I didn't get as much of a kick as it just plum wore my ass out. I was on cereal boxes and soap powder! By the time it was all over, I was ready for it to be over.

MTV: You're no stranger to pandemonium surrounding your films, but the world premiere in Cannes was pretty extreme. Did it feel different from the last time you'd premiered an "Indiana Jones" film?

Ford: I don't know if it was different or I was different. There was a real sense of anticipation. We all went into the French premiere knowing that our hosts were French and that they could have gone French on us. [Laughs.] They're not shy. We were all just curious to how it would turn out.

MTV: How confident were you heading into the release?

Ford: I had confidence in it. Kids come up to me that are 7 or 8 years old and they want to talk about "Indiana Jones." They were not alive when the movies were released. I had confidence that this was deeply seeded in the culture. I thought we had a pretty good shot.

MTV: But then you actually had to deliver a product that people would enjoy.

Ford: I felt mostly confident about that.

MTV: A few months later, can you be objective about the film now?

Ford: I have two heads. I can go inside or outside the film. I think that's important for me to see it in an external way.

MTV: Does that external head think this one stands up to the other three films?

Ford: That external head has no mouth. That external head is smart enough to keep his goddamn mouth shut. [Laughs.]

MTV: There was a lot of debate online and elsewhere about certain scenes and characters. How aware were you of the debate?

Ford: I don't spend much time online.

MTV: There were a number of potential plotlines and scripts considered for this film over the years. Was this your favorite?

Ford: This was the final incarnation. I came to agree to it.

MTV: Did you have any significant moment of trepidation before or during the shoot?

Ford: Never. I knew what the experience was going to be like. I enjoy playing that character. It's fun. There's a great mix of stuff for me to do to keep my attention-deficit-plagued mind focused. It's just a good time for me.

MTV: Did you take any offense to how much was made out of you doing all this action at the ripe old age of 66?

Ford: They were talking about it when I was 45, so it didn't make any difference to me. I don't think I would have taken the part if I didn't feel physically fit for it. I wouldn't want to rob the audience of that part of the pleasure of the films.

MTV: Steven Spielberg has said that another "Indiana Jones" adventure would only happen if the audience essentially asked for more. A worldwide box-office gross of nearly $800 million would seem to say there's still an appetite. Is a fifth "Indiana Jones" film inevitable?

Ford: I don't know. If we come up with a good idea ...

MTV: Is the ball in George Lucas' court at this point?

Ford: It is. That's the process. With some general input, he goes off and searches for the MacGuffin [Ed. note: That's the plot device that propels the story, i.e. the Ark] and then stumbles into a story. And at some point, we have a chance to take a look at it and give some input.

MTV: And he hasn't found the MacGuffin yet?

Ford: No, we're still in the primary stages.

MTV: The end of the last film leaves your character in a very intriguing position. He has a wife and a kid. Can he still be that man of adventure with those commitments?

Ford: And he's seen something. Remember those are the only witnesses to what he's seen. That's kind of interesting.

MTV: James Bond is a franchise that's figured out how to ably switch between actors. If, in 50 years, they find another man to play Indiana Jones, would that sit all right with you?

Ford: The very simple addition of numbers would make it clear that in 50 years I will not give a sh-- at all. I will so not care.

MTV: Well what if you knew today that someone else would wear the hat one day?

Ford: Fifty years from now, they can do anything they want.

MTV: You were recently voted the Best Movie President on AOL Moviefone. Isn't it your responsibility to pass on what you know to President-elect Obama?

Ford: Laughs. I don't know much. But apparently [that poll shows] neither does the public. [Laughs.]

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Shia Says Spielberg Has "Cracked" Indy 5
Source: Cinematical

Ah, the sequel no one is clamoring for has reared its head again. To be fair, some people enjoyed Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and with worldwide gross receipts totaling nearly $800 million, the only question that remained was when Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Harrison Ford would be ready to give it another go. (Our own poll last year suggested that it was time to retire the franchise.) Reportedly, Lucas favored the idea of continuing with old Indiana Jones as the lead character rather than handing things over to young Mutt Williams, played by Shia LaBeouf. Research was being conducted to find an artifact that the movie could be based on.

In the UK to promote Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, LaBeouf talked to the BBC and revealed that he had spoken recently with Spielberg about another Indiana Jones movie: "Steven just said he cracked a story on it before I left. I think they're gearing that up." Spielberg is busy filming The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, so maybe he talked with Lucas between shots: "Hi, George, it's Steven. What if Indy searches for a shabti?" "Steven, what's a shabti?" "You know, George, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, the inspiration for that segment with Mickey Mouse in Fantasia?" "Of course, Steven, who do you think you're talking to?" "Well, George, the shabti was a figurine that was buried with the dead and performed hard labor for the deceased in the afterlife." "Ooh, I know, Mutt could try to get to it first, so he would never have to do manual labor for Indy any more!" "George, I think we've cracked it."

We'll wait to see if an official confirmation seeps out. Are you holding your breath for Indy 5?

Skeleton FilmWorks