Brilliant lyrical couplets

Started by polkablues, November 07, 2005, 03:21:58 AM

pete

I really like that part of "get by" when Kweli says

even when the condition is critical and your living is miserable your position is pivotal
I ain't bullshitting you
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

Good job on the Sukie quote, Godardian, B & S is one of the few bands where the lyrics really enhance the song for me.  But you guys are forgetting the best lyricist of our generation:   Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel.  I hope I choose a few good ones, but really pick up "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" and love every minute of it. 

QuoteNow she's a little boy in Spain
Playing pianos filled with flames
On empty rings around the sun
All sing to say my dream has come

QuoteYour father made fetuses
With flesh licking ladies
While you and your mother
Were asleep in the trailer park

QuoteNow, how I remember you
How I would push my fingers through your mouth
To make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet

godardian

Quote from: Garam on April 20, 2006, 01:27:30 PM
Five Years by Bowie

:bravo:

Yes, those are all just about as good as rhyming "strewn" with "room" (as in my Bowie couplet of choice above)--and all in one song! Good call.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man

Polititians' funeral pyre
Innocents raped with napalm fire

Modest Mouse - Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset

Looking kind of anxious in your cross armed stance
Like a bad tempered prom queen at a homecoming dance

Modest Mouse - So Much Beauty In Dirt

Go night swimming, leave our clothes on the ground,
when we get busted we just stand there proud.

Mewithoutyou - Paper Hanger

If you're still looking for a blanket
Sweetie, I'm sorry, I'm no sort of fabric

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

picolas

Quote from: Walrus on April 20, 2006, 03:05:48 PM
Mewithoutyou - Paper Hanger

If you're still looking for a blanket
Sweetie, I'm sorry, I'm no sort of fabric

that doesn't rhyme.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye