The Arcade Fire

Started by Film Student, December 15, 2004, 12:47:13 PM

Pwaybloe

Did anybody else hear the Talking Heads influence?

grand theft sparrow

That's exactly how a friend of mine pitched it to me when he gave me a copy of Funeral. But I have to admit that I might not have noticed right away if he hadn't mentioned that.

modage

Quote from: PwaybloeDid anybody else hear the Talking Heads influence?
Quote from: themodernage02 on Dec 15th, 2004yeah i never noticed any of those comparisons, but the singer kind of sounds a bit like david byrne at times.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

i shall be seeing them this summer...for free

Slick Shoes

I was lucky enough to see them over the weekend opening up for David Byrne. Before, I had read about how great their shows were and now I can actually vouch for that fact. If they ever come near where you live I highly recommend getting tickets. My only regret is not having better seats. It was in an ampitheatre with a capacity of 18,000. I'm not sure if it was sold out, but it was definitely packed. In between songs, the lead singer, Win Butler, admitted they hadn't played a lot of gigs this big and it was slightly overwhelming. They  switched up instruments a lot. I just recall seeing Regine Chassagne, who had previously been playing the accordion, all of a sudden on the drums. And the Napoleon Dynamite-looking guy who is famous for the helmet and banging on everything during Neighborhood #2 (Laika) playing guitar. The less rocking songs like In the Backseat and Crown of Love played surprisingly well. The absolute highlight for me was when they played Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels.) It was already a favorite of mine, but being there, hearing it live, actually brought goosepimples to my skin. Again, if you are at all a fan of this band, I highly recommend going to one of their shows.

modage

if anyone else is a junkie for new stuff you can find somewhere their NEW song on the Six Feet Under Sntk. "Cold Wind" floating around online or on that actual cd in stores.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

Quote from: Slick ShoesI was lucky enough to see them over the weekend opening up for David Byrne. Before, I had read about how great their shows were and now I can actually vouch for that fact. If they ever come near where you live I highly recommend getting tickets. My only regret is not having better seats. It was in an ampitheatre with a capacity of 18,000. I'm not sure if it was sold out, but it was definitely packed. In between songs, the lead singer, Win Butler, admitted they hadn't played a lot of gigs this big and it was slightly overwhelming. They  switched up instruments a lot. I just recall seeing Regine Chassagne, who had previously been playing the accordion, all of a sudden on the drums. And the Napoleon Dynamite-looking guy who is famous for the helmet and banging on everything during Neighborhood #2 (Laika) playing guitar. The less rocking songs like In the Backseat and Crown of Love played surprisingly well. The absolute highlight for me was when they played Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels.) It was already a favorite of mine, but being there, hearing it live, actually brought goosepimples to my skin. Again, if you are at all a fan of this band, I highly recommend going to one of their shows.

it was not sold out, but pretty close. they put on a pretty amazing show. david byrne was also good, and as strange as always.

matt35mm

I like 'em.  I don't really know what else to say.

It also grew on me.  I know I'm not the only person who felt this way.  It was nice at first, but it gets better with each listen I've given it, and I've given it about... 6 listens so far.

Epic goodness.  My friend told me that they were better than Radiohead live, and she LOVED that live Radiohead show.  I would absolutely love to see them live.

Pedro

no way they can be better than radiohead live.

Slick Shoes

I just picked up the EP and was very pleasantly surprised. It doesn't suck at all. They really did make a pretty big leap from the EP to the LP, though. I like the song No Cars Go the best. The EP definitely carries a more whimsical tone. I don't know, it's just fun to see some of the common elements that carried over.

By the way, I can't seem to find a working link to the Conan performance. (The one on the previous page doesn't seem to be active anymore.) If anybody knows of one, please post. Thank you.

i listened to power out in the morning and i thought it was good. is the whole album   funeral  similar?  should i downloadi it? who am i and what do i want?
context, context, context.

modage

download it.  its similar in all the ways that are good and different in all the ways that are great.

context, context, context.

Pas

I tought I was buying The Arcade Fire but I bought Alexis on Fire... god I suck at life

Slick Shoes

The Arcade Fire will be on TV this Friday (9/9) as part of the "Fashion Rocks" program on CBS. I heard somewhere David Bowie would be joining them for a song, but I'm not sure if that's true. So mark your calendars. Or don't.