Quote from: eward
Quote from: soixanteGo

uh....... :o

Go is not a good movie.

Yeah, it's just Pulp Fiction: The College Years

don't be so hard on Quentin.
context, context, context.

pete

I'm sure he's only hard on Quentin: The College Years.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

You're right.  Go isn't a good movie.  It's a great one.  *ducks*

Alethia

never said it was bad, i kinda enjoy it when im bored.  but he put it in the best picture category and so i was at a loss for words.

pete

yeah if I were to choose a 90's teen flick to watch, I'd pick Go.  It's got some edge, but it just wasn't very original.
- Buster Keaton

i liked "Ten things I hate about you" and "Bring it On" , but not "Go".

soixante

I didn't like Go the first time I saw it.  But then I couldn't get it out of my brain for a few days, so I went to see it again, and liked it.  Subsequent viewings on DVD made it even better.  I had a similar experience with Something Wild when it first came out, didn't like it the first time, but liked it a lot the 2nd time.

Go is simply a great joy ride of a film.  Stylistically and narratively, it is rather daring.  Even though it's derivative, so is Pulp Fiction.  Pulp Fiction is clearly better, but Go has its own energy.  

It is also features lots of memorable dialoge written by John August, and every performance is excellent.  Even Katie Holmes, who is merely an average actress, gives a great performance.  William Fichtner and Sarah Polley are especially good.  The only problem is the ending, in which the film merely runs out of gas.  However, I do like movies in which folks do drugs and get away with it (as in Dazed and Confused).
Music is your best entertainment value.

the thing i really don't like about Go is the fact that director  Doug Liman and screenwriter John August are mis-matched... it looks like John August knew what he was writing about but  Liman got it in a different way. I like John August. I like the fact that he actually takes the time to answer questions at the IMDB but   Go lacks cohesion. And there are characters that have the charisma of a carton of milk.

pete

Go also isn't a great movie because it dates incredibly fast, not just with the times but with even the same audience as well.  as soon as you grow out of a certain age or a certain scene the film loses its charm.
- Buster Keaton

Quote from: peteGo also isn't a great movie because it dates incredibly fast, not just with the times but with even the same audience as well.  as soon as you grow out of a certain age or a certain scene the film loses its charm.

yeah,  "E" is soooo last decade.

MacGuffin

Besides the structure, how is "Go" like "Pulp Fiction"? I wouldn't call "Velvet Goldmine" "Citizen Kane: The Glam Years" because they share the same story structure.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffinBesides the structure, how is "Go" like "Pulp Fiction"? I wouldn't call "Velvet Goldmine" "Citizen Kane: The Glam Years" because they share the same story structure.

they both deal with drugs.   none of them is concerned in telling a story : both of them show Situations.  Both ooze Pop Culture references .  And Pulp Fiction is a Crime/Comedy, while Go tries to be one.