-DEATH AND THE MAIDEN
-BITTER MOON
-FRANTIC
-THE TENANT
-CHINATOWN
-ROSEMARYS BABY
-THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS
-REPULSION

actually i just watched FRANTIC which was severely dated in the late 80s and not very good and i just wanted a thread to post that in.  so for future polanski discussion, there is now a place for all ye wanderers.  ive actually seen the pianist (liked), the ninth gate (liked), frantic (disliked), chinatown (loved), and rosemarys baby (loved).  but next up i am watching death and the maiden and in october ill rent the fearless vampire killers.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Rudie Obias

i've only seen THE PIANIST from him but i really really loved it.  how could this brilliant film not win the oscar for best picture?  i mean, i didn't see CHICAGO yet but i doubt it's better than THE PIANIST.  it was so well directed and made.  all around a great film!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ghostboy

Not to mention my favorite film of his, Repulsion, which for my money is a hell of a lot scarier than Rosemary's Baby.

rustinglass

I strongly recommend Cul-de-Sac. I just love this film! I think it's his best, certainly the funniest. It won the golden Bear at Berlin in 66.

I regret not ever watching Repulsion nor Chinatown, I've heard great things about them.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

chainsmoking insomniac

Unfortunately, I've boycotted his films.  I don't want a blatant rapist to get money from my wallet.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

jokerspath

Quote from: punchdrunk23Unfortunately, I've boycotted his films.  I don't want a blatant rapist to get money from my wallet.

That's a silly statement.  I'm sure that of all the movies you've watched, all the music you've listened to, hell, possibly all the sports you've watched, there has been hundreds of people convicted of worse crimes than he has.  You don't know the private lives of the people you respect and admire past the reported incidents.

His art shouldn't have to be judged by who he is as a person, be it a pedophile or a philantropist or whatever.  Some of his finest work was made before that incident anyway.

I understand the fact that you don't want to support a rapist.  I just don't think the nickel he'll get from you buying one of his DVDs is gonna affect him too greatly.  Samantha Geimer herself publicly addressed the Academy saying, in effect, that something he did nearly thirty years ago should not affect how the public view his art.

aw

ps-Thought I heard Jack Nicholson was in the house when Polanski raped her.  Anyone wanna verify that?
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

chainsmoking insomniac

You're correct.  Ol' Jack was in the house.  Maybe it is silly that I boycott his films, but it angers me greatly that he can get away with what he did just because of his 'art'.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

rustinglass

How old was she, anyway, 13?
Some 13 year old girls who are starting in showbiz think that they are already 17/18... Then they regret it, get histerical and say they were raped. Plus he had recently lost his eight-month pregnant wife due to the manson family murders, so I respect him a lot.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

chainsmoking insomniac

But he raped her for chrissakes!  Doesn't anyone see that?  What if you found out your next door neighbor, who you've barbecued with for years, and in general have been the best of friends with, raped a 13 year old.  And he'd just lost his wife in some gruesome fashion.  Would you take it easy on him just because of his tragic loss? :x
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

chainsmoking insomniac

Don't let celebritydom cloud your moral judgement dude.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

jokerspath

Quote from: punchdrunk23You're correct.  Ol' Jack was in the house.  Maybe it is silly that I boycott his films, but it angers me greatly that he can get away with what he did just because of his 'art'.

Good call, though I think his "get[ting] away" was a combination of his art and actually leaving the country.  Regardless, he is a criminal...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

rustinglass

Yes punchdrunk, that was some really nasty shit he did, but I really like his films and he wouldn't have done them if he went to jail.

What I was trying to say is that one should take in mind how and where the rape took place: It was some kind of party, He was photografing the girl in some kind of spa, she might have looked older and feel sofisticated, she might have wanted to have sex too, you know?

Anyway, this is pure speculation. She forgave him and she was the victim so I forgive him as well.
-Emir Kusturica

Cecil

Pubrick

i love his films and hav purchased a copy of each at least 3 times. often i waited until they were not on sale.

i think i'll buy another copy of Tess tonite. i hope he keeps on making many more movies, so i can keep on paying to watch and own them. forever.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: punchdrunk23Unfortunately, I've boycotted his films.  I don't want a blatant rapist to get money from my wallet.

That's a silly statement.  I'm sure that of all the movies you've watched, all the music you've listened to, hell, possibly all the sports you've watched, there has been hundreds of people convicted of worse crimes than he has.  You don't know the private lives of the people you respect and admire past the reported incidents.

His art shouldn't have to be judged by who he is as a person, be it a pedophile or a philantropist or whatever.  Some of his finest work was made before that incident anyway.

I understand the fact that you don't want to support a rapist.  I just don't think the nickel he'll get from you buying one of his DVDs is gonna affect him too greatly.  Samantha Geimer herself publicly addressed the Academy saying, in effect, that something he did nearly thirty years ago should not affect how the public view his art.

aw

ps-Thought I heard Jack Nicholson was in the house when Polanski raped her.  Anyone wanna verify that?

I agree. Also, I believe it was Jack's house that this happened in, but Jack was not present.

And, even though people are gonna be pissed, I really don't care what Polanski did. I personally know that several (read: many many) hot chicks, when I was starting high school, had older boyfriends (they were 14-15, the guys were 23+), went to parties, did a ton of drugs, and got fucked. I highly doubt this was an innocent little girl that Roman lured into his car with a tootsie roll. She was at a Hollywood pool party in her bikini, letting him take pictures of her. What the fuck? Obviously she wanted to be there. Now I know he should have made a judgement call, but we can't just remove her from the blame. Sheep who wanna graze in wolves' pastures are gonna occasionally get eaten.

That being said, I think Chinatown is a fucking masterpiece. And I'd really like to see Knife In The Water.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.