Phantom Thread - Interviews

Started by velociraptor, November 27, 2017, 11:50:34 AM

Alethia

Quote from: wilberfan on December 20, 2017, 03:58:24 PM
(Don't ever let it be said that PTA has no patience for fawning fan interviews.  I had to grit my teeth to get thru this one.)

Entertaining though! The "gay" line of questioning was particularly amusing. PTA's a good sport. Though he does seem to intentionally drop pens from time to time.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Sleepless on December 21, 2017, 07:54:47 AM
Quote from: Rooty Poots on December 20, 2017, 12:42:56 PM
Are you talking about the man in that photo with PTA? Because that's Andy Cohen.

Yes. It was a joke.

Haha sorry to ruin it then. I can't believe I just Paul-said-not-to-mention-the-crossfades-ed myself.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

Drenk

Wow. Great moment with Mark Bridges and Krieps and Manville where we learn how DDL in character was able to influence the costumes of the movie.

https://youtu.be/RXDgWxapEhQ?t=1962

(It's around 32:50 if the link doesn't go there immediately for you.)

Ascension.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: modage on December 27, 2017, 07:01:55 AM
Quote from: modage on December 11, 2017, 03:46:10 PM
Guessing there is a great PTA interview coming up on the Channel 33 podcast as host Sean Fennessey (a legit PTA-head) tweeted a photo of the two of them recently. 👌🏻

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bill-simmons-podcast/id1043699613?mt=2#episodeGuid=gid%3A%2F%2Fart19-episode-locator%2FV0%2FurTV2-nk63CeDl-brDqaOAszkgj60zzosrG1ud5NPPo

Oooh this one has some great stuff in it.

Are we reaching peak PTA fandom? I'm amazed at how many mainstream media personalities and outlets are fawning over him, especially considering his last two films aren't his most accessible...

Lewton

Quote from: csage97 on December 20, 2017, 09:45:19 AM
It makes me happy to know that PTA was reading (rereading?) Against The Day.

https://www.gq.com/story/the-dark-optimism-of-paul-thomas-anderson

I know others enjoyed this, and maybe I'm just feeling cranky today, but, with the exception of PTA's quotes, I wasn't a huge fan. The descriptive wrapping thrown around those quotes seems to overly mythologize Anderson in a way that doesn't even necessarily correspond to his public appearances. Kind of reminds me of how Amy Adams said she expected to meet someone who was very aloof and serious prior to filming The Master and then she met PTA and he was warm, friendly, etc.

I mean, for instance, do we really know enough about this person -- a stranger who makes some movies we all enjoy -- to call him "paranoid"? Or a "recluse"? The latter word, at least, is heavily qualified in the article, which leaves me to wonder why it was even brought up at all. He is one of the most visible, voluble, and candid directors out there -- always ready to promote his work in an interesting and communicative way. We have a trove of PTA interviews. He promotes his colleagues' work, even (i.e., showing up in that Tarantino video during The Hateful Eight's press tour). He's not Terrence Malick...which is not to say there's anything wrong with Malick being reclusive -- or seeming more like one than Anderson, anyway.

The parallels drawn between whatever is going on with Day-Lewis' character in PT, and Anderson himself, also feels...kind of flimsy, or at least overstated. Then again, I haven't seen the new film. Still, Anderson has never come across as maladjusted as his characters, but, of course, we don't really know what he's actually like, so whatever people say is just...blah. I just dislike the armchair psychoanalysis of public figures outside of cases where it's warranted and substantiated (as opposed to nosy and speculative). Just stick to the films.

I should be more charitable. It's still an interesting and mostly well-done profile.

©brad

Quote from: Lewton on December 27, 2017, 06:44:23 PMI should be more charitable. It's still an interesting and mostly well-done profile.

Yes.

Just Withnail

That podcast was great. What an incredible promo round this is.

wilberfan

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Here's the post-screening discussion I recorded with PTA, Vicky Krieps, and Leslie Manville at the end of the first public guild screening back on Nov 24th (in Beverly Hills).  (Thanks to csage97 for his audio wizardry in cleaning up the file.)

Phantom Thread Post-Screening Discussion, Nov 24, 2017, Beverly Hills, CA

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on December 27, 2017, 07:42:41 PM
[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Here's the post-screening discussion I recorded with PTA, Vicky Krieps, and Leslie Manville at the end of the first public guild screening back on Nov 24th (in Beverly Hills).  (Thanks to csage97 for his audio wizardry in cleaning up the file.)

Phantom Thread Post-Screening Discussion, Nov 24, 2017, Beverly Hills, CA

Hey, wildberfan, I'm happy to contribute any small difference it made. :) I still need to send you a further explanation of the things I did (I haven't forgotten! It's been a combo of being busy and then laziness leading to procrastination).