ZATOICHI!!!!

Started by indiana, October 06, 2003, 06:23:02 PM

Vile5

i finally saw it!, and i really enjoyed it, and one of the first scenes when the countrypeople are working seemingly in time to the music made me remind the last scene of Seven Samurai... a very good movie
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

MacGuffin

Miramax Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for the region one release of Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman which will be arriving in shops this November. Interestingly, the disc will also include the Takeshi Kitano directed Sonatine, which stars  Kitano along with Aya Kokumai and Tetsu Watanabe. No details on technical specs or extra material at this stage. The disc will be available to own from the 9th November this year, and should set you back around $29.99.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

ugh. i downloaded a dvd of this a LONG while back and never got around to watching it until last night. that was AWFUL cgi, i couldn't concentrate on the film. i feel like i must have downloaded a rough cut or something, b/c what i saw could not possibly have been enjoyed by anybody. maybe it was b/c the subtitles were not translated very well, maybe i just couldn't handle cgi swords. it was just so weird and dumb and i wasn't even sure if it was trying to be funny. and what was up with that dude in drag?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

The instant death crazyness kind of reminded me of Iron Monkey (in which a man is killed by a grape).

When is this supposed to take place? Cause like half the cast wears jeans, including Zatoichi.

pete

someone was killed by a grape in iron monkey?
kitano's zatoichi is supposed to be like anachronistic, thus the CG and the dyed hair, 'cause he doesn't want his movie to jump on the recent retro-samurai bandwagon of 70s bloodspray effects and throwback tongue-in-cheek humor.  If he's gonna be tongue-in-cheek, it should at least be contemporary tongue-in-cheek.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Weak2ndAct

Kitano's redux rocks.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: petesomeone was killed by a grape in iron monkey?
It's toward the end, I think. One guy (who is eating grapes) spits a grape at extremely high velocity and it pierces his enemy's chest.