Punch-Drunk Love single disc?

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, October 30, 2003, 05:00:38 PM

RegularKarate

More would have been nice, but the special features fit that movie so perfectly.

Link

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw PDL with the poster as the cover instead of the doofy Barry-with-a-white-background cover.  I could not believe that they had released a stripped-down version.  I told my g/f that PTA had sold out, but I still forgive him.  She pointed out that I would forgive him for just about anything.  And I pointed out that I would even forgive PTA if he made a Charlie's Angels movie.

analogzombie

What's funny is my Wal-Mart has the stripped down single disc version for $14.96 and the 2 disc set for $14.44.

I don't think PTA sold out, it's probably a situation where he has to kick and scream to even get a 2 disc released at all. I can't imagine that the studio was in a hurry to put tons of extras with PDL since it wasn't exactly a blockbuster. I bet it was just not a priority for them.

And although I really enjoy t he blossoms and blood thing, i too would really love to see some making of stuff, or how about even a commentary track!? Or interviews with PTA, Jon Brion and Jeremy Blake on how they worked together to create the mood of the film.

Who knows, maybe Criterion will pick it up in  a few years, we can only hope.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

tpfkabi

do you think there's a possibility that this were manufactured before the 2 disc? remember that the release date was put back and PTA wanted to put some extras on there.......maybe they had all of these left over

but you're all right, it does seem pretty dumb since there weren't many extra features to begin with
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

freakerdude

One thing I've noticed about cheap places like Wal Mart and deepdiscountdvd, you have to keep an eye our for older versions being sold very cheaply. They are usually discontinued items, unlike PDL of course, and there are newer versions like widescreen, DTS option, or remastering (which the latter really also apples to CDs nowadays).

Now the 2 disc set for cheaper than the stripped 1 disc.....all I can say is take a look at the employees.........
MC Pee Pants

analogzombie

I know what you mean about older versions. They have some very old dvds of Evil Dead at Wal-Mart.

I think the 2 prices on the PDL discs are probably related to the single disc being a new release and the 2 disc being out for a while. Just one of those odd anomalies.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

freakerdude

Quote from: analogzombieI know what you mean about older versions. They have some very old dvds of Evil Dead at Wal-Mart.

I think the 2 prices on the PDL discs are probably related to the single disc being a new release and the 2 disc being out for a while. Just one of those odd anomalies.
meaning 4:3 only video formats and not the new widescreen editions
MC Pee Pants