How did "Magnolia" not get a Best Picture nod

Started by kassius, January 10, 2004, 03:36:10 PM

Sleepless

Speaking of overlooked films in 1999, Fight Club deserved more recognition.

And as much as we all say we hate the Oscars we're all gonna watch it anyway. Besides, it's Billy Crystal hosting this year - thank God - and hopefully Lost In Translations will score big on behalf of all us movie geeks everywhere. ...?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

analogzombie

I hope LIT does win a couple (especially for Bill Murray), but my prediction is that it'll be the little indie film that gets nominated for almost everything, and wins nothing.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Alethia

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

soixante

If Magnolia had been a Miramax film, it would have been up for more Oscars.  Cider House Rules was the beneficiary of the Miramax Publicity Machine, as was Shakespeare in Love and Life is Beautiful.  I generally like Miramax films, but sometimes les freres Weinstein deprive worthy, smaller films of due recognition.  Example:  all the campaigning for Life is Beautiful won a Best Actor Oscar for Roberto Benigni, while Nick Nolte in Affliction got screwed.  If only Affliction were backed by Miramax.

Also, Michael Caine screwed Cruise out of an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, because Miramax is better at Oscar campaigning than New Line.

Certainly, as time goes on, Magnolia, Fight Club, Being John Malkovich and even The Matrix would have been better Best Picture nominees than Green Mile or Cider House Rules.

Also, it's insane that PTA has only been nominated for Best Screenplay and not Best Director.

I think Cider House Rules was an overrated piece of crap, and Green Mile was an overlong bore, and Sixth Sense was a retread of Jacob's Ladder.

Magnolia wasn't up for Best Picture for the same reason Jimi Hendrix has never won a Grammy.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alethia

all of the movies nominated were good, but not worthy of the nomination.  magnolia and BJM were worthy, but certainly not fight club and matrix....i think eyes wide shut, bringing out the dead and the straight story should have rounded it out.

mutinyco

Didn't Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner get a Grammy nomination? Look, Magnolia didn't get nominated because it shouldn't have. It's a giant blob of poorly connected ideas all done up with great visuals. Never had a chance. If you like Magnolia or Fight Club or Malkovich or whatever that's fine ( I only like Fight Club). Just don't use the Academy as a barometer of what's good. Cannes or other international festivals are more interested in quality and creativity. Magnolia won in Berlin. That was its pinacle.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Derek

Ouch. Regarding Berlin, how highly is it regarded among the various festivals?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

mutinyco

Berlin is well regarded. Aside from Cannes, Berlin and Venice are probably the biggest European festivals.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

soixante

I don't think Magnolia was just a blob of incoherent ideas -- in fact, one of its few Oscar noms was for Best Original Screenplay.  It's actually a well-thought out, well-structured script.  There are more connections and parallels in the episodes than there are in a lot of other ensemble movies like Short Cuts.

I don't take the Oscars too seriously, althought it's nice when a worthy film wins an award and then reaches a broader audience, which means there will be a higher likelihood that the suits will greenlight more artistic fare (I can dream can't I?).  If nothing else, Oscar gives an incentive to make movies that aren't aimed at teenagers.

As for the Grammys, they are the biggest joke of all the major awards.  The Rolling Stones never won for stuff like Some Girls, Exile on Main Street or Beggar's Banquet, but they did win in the 90's, a period of creative bankruptcy for them.  Clapton and Santana won big in the 90's for their most mediocre work.  Christopher Cross won Best Album of 1980, over such classics as The Pretenders 1st album, London Calling by the Clash and The Wall by Pink Floyd.  Hendrix may have been nominated for something, but he never won any major awards.  His stuff was too far ahead of its time.

"How did "Magnolia" not get a Best Picture nomination?"

because it fuckin stinks.  ask any person in xixax.
context, context, context.

Alethia

NEON MERCURY

soixante....you are spot on.... :yabbse-thumbup: .....

i still say the worst best pic..(in recent tims0..has been Shakespeare in love..over thin red line....when you watch the two.. .its almost ridiculous that Shakespeare in love........was even mentioned in the same category.....way overrated film....and yes i did see it....it sucked ..bad......

annd my last rambling .is the fact. that lynch(yes i'm baised).. lost that  oscar to howard for a beautiful mind for direction...???....i agree that ABM..is a good ffilm....but when it came down to a director helming a project and makinnng it work.....lynch deserves more for doing an equally acclaimed film that was more ambitious.......

but he did look like a pimp in his suit that night.....

pete

yeah that oscar woulda been so much more exciting if these five were nominated:

being john malkovich
three kings
bring out the dead
wonder boys
magnolia
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

soixante

Wonder Boys came out in 2000, hence was ineligible for the 1999 Oscars.

My five best pics for 1999 woulda been:  Go, Magnolia, Fight Club, Topsy Turvy, American Beauty.  Nicole Kidman shoulda been up for Best Actress for Eyes Wide Shut.  Brad Pitt should have been nominated for Best Actor for Fight Club, alongside Jim Carrey in Man on the Moon.  

I agree with the previous poster, that Shakespeare in Love didn't deserve Best Picture, especially over Thin Red Line or Saving Private Ryan.  In fact, Shakespeare in Love didn't even make my top 30 of the year.