American Beauty - the unofficial thread

Started by filmcritic, July 06, 2003, 02:07:41 PM

filmcritic

This is the official thread for the masterpiece "American Beauty". It won several Oscars including Best Picture, Director and Actor. I always thought this was the best film of 1999 and of the whole decade. I'm sure that most of you have seen it. But if you haven't..."you will someday".
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Cecil

i wrote this for my year book, about my experience in high school: "My job as a student required mostly masking my contempt for the assholes in front of the class room, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that less closely resembles Hell."

Comte de Saint Germain

This movie always seemed divided here on likability. Me, personally, I didn't like the movie. The acting in the movie is another matter. The film is a dragging process through a plot and scenes that are completely obvious in meaning. Instead of the movie acting for its story to dig deeper and make it more mysterious, it acts to please on first viewing. I couldn't imagine watching this movie again because its a blue print of another movie instead.

~rougerum
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

filmcritic

Wow, you're the first person I've ever heard say that.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Comte de Saint Germain

Just a referral to the sentences before hand in saying that American Beauty operates its story in such an obvious manner by way of meaning, that it is more of a dragging through a story and showing a blue print for a better movie. Every single scene is completely obvious in meaning that I can't help but feel the "please" button is on all the time for everyone on that first time viewing. The movie seems to hold little in discovery for repeated viewings so what's the use.

~rougerum
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

©brad

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi wrote this for my year book, about my experience in high school: "My job as a student required mostly masking my contempt for the assholes in front of the class room, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that less closely resembles Hell."

they let u put that in ur yearbook? sheesh, fucked up high school.

u wanna know what i put in my yearbook for my senior quote? didn't think so, but here it is anyway; "the key to life is sincerity, and if u can fake that u can do anything." thought it was funny at the time. not so sure about it now. my song was rable on, led zepplin. say, this might make for an interesting thread topic, unless we've done it before.

Cecil

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: cecil b. dementedi wrote this for my year book, about my experience in high school: "My job as a student required mostly masking my contempt for the assholes in front of the class room, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that less closely resembles Hell."

they let u put that in ur yearbook? sheesh, fucked up high school.

no they didnt use it. my actual quote is "the horror... the horror..."

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

DJ Justice

Quote from: bonanzatazconfusion say!

Confusion or Confucious?

MrBurgerKing

Can someone tell me what that joke means? I never got it! I'm always left in the cold when Sandler and Watson laugh at that joke.

MrBurgerKing

I hate, hate, hate not understanding jokes. When I'm in a crowd and someone makes a joke, 80% of the time (actually let's say 75% of the time) I don't understand the joke. I laugh anyway though because everyone else laughs at the jokes. If I don't laugh I look like a huge horse's ass. A prick basically. I was caught once in the act. I was driving people around in my car, and this man gave a pseudo-joke (purposely doesn't make sense) just to see who would laugh. So, he said the joke and no one laughed, but I laughed. When he revealed that he just wanted to see who would laugh at a joke that doesn't make sense, I was naturally embarassed. No, I wasn't embarassed, I was a moron. I wanted to go into the 'I'm a fucking idiot' routine. I wanted to smash my head on the steering wheel nine times saying "I'm a fucking idiot." Maybe if I was alone that would work, but the car was packed. I was caught in my tracks like a prick, so I told him I only laughed to make him feel better because no one else laughed. They all knew I was a liar, which made it even worst.

Quote from: MrBurgerKingCan someone tell me what that joke means? I never got it! I'm always left in the cold when Sandler and Watson laugh at that joke.

Confucious was a Chinese philosopher who became a venerable part of Chinese history while he is also a quoteable person...

"We don't know yet about life, how can we know about death?"

"If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work another day in your life."

It is one of these proverbs that this caller claimed he stole for his yearbook quote..  Often when quoting Confucious people say "Confucious say ....*insert proverb here*"  And the "caller" mistakenly says "Confusion Say".
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

MrBurgerKing

Okay, but shouldn't it be Confucious Says, or Confucious Said? Why is it Confucious Say?

bonanzataz

because they're making fun of chinese accents.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls