Future Tarantino: Where it's never gonna happen, but we hope that it does(n't).

Started by jtm, January 20, 2003, 09:54:48 PM

MacGuffin

Tarantino to advise Weinstein Asian label
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- Bob and Harvey Weinstein unveiled a new label Tuesday called Dragon Dynasty, under which the Weinstein Co. will release Asian films.

Titles will include "Ong Bak 2," "The Protector" (aka "Tom Yum Goong"), "Born to Fight", "SPL," "Seven Swords" and "Dragon Squad." It will also encompass a package of 43 titles, which have been licensed from Fortune Star Entertainment, the distribution division of News Corp.'s STAR Group, which owns the world's largest contemporary Chinese language feature film library.

In addition, Dragon will also handle a collection of 50 movies from the Shaw Brothers including John Woo's "The Killer," "Hardboiled," "Bullet in the Head" and "A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2." The Weinsteins originally acquired the Shaw Brothers' collection during their tenure at Miramax Films and brought the titles with them to the Weinstein Co. as part of their settlement agreement with the Walt Disney Studios.

Quentin Tarantino, a longtime champion of Asian cinema, will actively work with the Weinsteins in all aspects of Dragon's brand development.

Brian White, who previously served as brand manger and DVD producer at Contender Entertainment Group, has been named Dragon's director of Asian brand management and post-production. Based in London, he will work closely with Hong Kong-based executive vp of Asian acquisitions and co-production Bey Logan. White, who will also oversee the DVD titles, will report to both Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

The company plans to continue building the library, and will be acquiring titles across all genres of Asian film such as contemporary action, martial arts, epic swordplay and hi-octane thriller. The titles selected for theatrical distribution will be released by the Weinstein Co., and all home video output will be managed by Genius Products. Dragon is planning a number of special edition DVD package, including 2-Disc Platinum Editions of Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" and "Tai Chi Master."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

In related news, Pete is forced to find something else to complain about.

*rimshot*
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino doing horror remake?
Source: Moviehole

Dark Horizons is reporting today that ol' banana-chin might be eyeing an English-language remake of "Dead End", a new Dutch horror film - about seven friends who flee to an oldhouse in Scotland but discover it is cursed (once in a room you can't get out) - that is set for release over there in clogville next week.

Tarantino has apparently been shown a 20-minute promo reel for the film, and has already expressed an intertest in helming the inevitable U.S remake.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Here's what's going to happen: the film will be directed by whichever "protege" Tarantino has lying around that week.  Quentin himself will nab an executive producer credit; all the advertisment for the film will feature Tarantino's name in big letters above the title, leading the greater percentage of the movie-going public to believe that he directed it.  He will continue to grope middle-aged Swedish women in public.

squints

Quote from: polkablues on July 27, 2006, 02:25:51 PM
Here's what's going to happen: the film will be directed by whichever "protege" Tarantino has lying around that week.  Quentin himself will nab an executive producer credit; all the advertisment for the film will feature Tarantino's name in big letters above the title, leading the greater percentage of the movie-going public to believe that he directed it.  He will continue to grope middle-aged Swedish women in public.

This is the funniest thing i've read on xixax in weeks  :bravo:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

polkablues

MacGuffin

TARANTINOWATCH: VIVA THE VEGA BROS?
Source: CHUD

Quentin Tarantino fans are used to waiting around for the director to get moving on some of the projects he's talked about publicly – we've been waiting nigh upon a decade for some forward motion on Inglorious Bastards, his proposed WWII epic. One of the projects that I think most of us have given up on long ago was the sequel to Pulp Fiction focusing on the Vic and Vincent Vega, played by John Travolta and Michael Madsen. It turns out that Madsen himself hasn't given up hope, and he tells me that QT has approached him with a story concept that could make a movie happen.

Last week I got on the phone with Madsen to talk about the 15th anniversary DVD of Reservoir Dogs (which is coming a year early) and the new Reservoir Dogs video game, and I took the chance to grill him on various upcoming projects. He brought up the Vega Bros movie, something I would never have even thought to ask about.

Madsen: I'd like to do The Vega Brothers. I hope that one comes together some day.

Q: Hasn't Quentin said that wouldn't happen?

Madsen: Well, first he said he would do it, then he said he wasn't going to do it. Then he called me and said, 'You know, I've figured out a way to do it. It can't be a prequel because you and John don't look the same. It wouldn't make sense as a sequel because you're both dead.' And he gave me an idea that would be really outrageous – that John and I would be the twin brothers of Vic and Vincent. We come from Amsterdam to LA to avenge the deaths of our brothers. I think that's pretty interesting. For me, I'd love to do it.

Will it happen? Tarantino talks a lot – the guy can't keep his ideas to himself. But not all of those ideas ever go anywhere. Although who knows – maybe QT will want to resuscitate John Travolta's career a SECOND time.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

worst. movie idea. ever.  and without any doubt whatsoever - never. gonna. happen. 

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pozer on November 07, 2006, 11:15:37 AM
never. gonna. happen.

Quote from: modage on July 27, 2006, 08:33:51 AM
yeah, will never happen. never.

Quote from: flagpolespecial on July 27, 2006, 05:57:27 AM
early prediction.... won't happen.

Quote from: modage on April 25, 2006, 03:55:47 PM
never...gonna...happen...

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 08, 2005, 01:28:28 AM
I don't believe it will happen.

Quote from: modage on March 08, 2005, 09:28:10 AM
yeah, i dont think it will happen either.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 11, 2005, 11:51:42 PM
Unlikely to happen

Quote from: brockly on December 05, 2003, 11:12:40 PM
Im not saying it'll definatly be made

Quote from: Weak2ndAct on April 05, 2004, 03:15:25 PM
I'd be totally shocked if this Bond thing ever happened

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 05, 2003, 08:03:14 PM
I doubt the airline disaster movie rumor is true at all.... Naw, not buying this one at all.

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones on May 20, 2003, 10:11:36 PM
the vega brothers thing wont happen

Quote from: Tictacbk on April 05, 2004, 04:31:04 PM
If this happens

Quote from: modage on December 05, 2003, 10:55:01 PM
yeah this sounds bogus.  even if it were true, i doubt we'll ever see this movie.

Quote from: Cinephile on April 05, 2004, 01:59:30 PM
Please God... make this come true.

Quote from: eward on December 04, 2003, 09:21:40 AM
anybody else kinda hope he doesnt do this?

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on April 05, 2004, 02:56:22 PM
please happen

Quote from: brockly on December 05, 2003, 11:12:40 PM
Hope it doesn't happen.

Quote from: oakmanc234 on February 16, 2003, 03:40:33 AM
Pleeease god let it happen.....

Quote from: onomabracadabra on October 13, 2003, 01:30:41 PM
Man, I hope not.

Future Tarantino:  Where it's never gonna happen, but we hope that it does(n't).

MacGuffin

Tarantino to Star in Miike's Sukiyaki Western

Screen Daily reports that director Takashi Miike has started shooting Sukiyaki Western: Django.

The site says that although the film is set during the Genpei clan wars of the 12th century, it is being billed as Japan's first true western. The title pays homage to the spaghetti western (or "macaroni western" as they're referred to in Japan) character Franco Nero made famous in the 1960s.

The film is being shot entirely in English, spoken by a cast of well-known Japanese talent that includes Hideaki Ito, Koichi Sato, Kaori Momoi, Yusuke Iseya and Masanobu Ando. The actors took intensive English courses for two months to prepare.

Director Quentin Tarantino is also set to play a role in the film. Sukiyaki Western: Django wraps shooting at the end of November.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

http://www.break.com/index/quentin_tarantino_on_opie_and_anthony2.html

talks about writing Inglorious Bastards, why he hated Natural Born Killers, how he would've done Vega Brothers, etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Gold Trumpet

The Inglorious Bastard comments are significant. I never heard he was modeling it after the Spaghetti Western. That genre is popular to many people, but overpraised to me. You grow up watching A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but you come love films like The Wild Bunch, Red River and One Eyed Jacks. Everything about the Spaghetti Western strikes me as adolescent. It shouldn't be surprising that Tarantino is still hung up on his childhood and potentially destroying his last hope for a good film because of it.