there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

tpfkabi

Quote from: theyarelegion on August 17, 2009, 05:34:09 PM
You can find the rest of his intros here: http://www.youtube.com/user/WOODDDDDDDYAMOVIES2

i guess i hadn't heard the Scorsese/Taxi Driver legend.
i would think by now someone would have asked him about it in an interview - yes/no?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alexandro

I heard that Scorsese anecdote before, like, 15 years ago or something, but never since then.

Honestly, I kinda knew Tarantino would like There Will Be Blood but he definetely surprised me by saying that Paul Thomas Anderson is THE filmmaking artist working right now. That's a big compliment coming from anyone. Most critics have been shy to say something so clear about him, which also happens to be true.

Stefen

I wonder if Eli Roth is going to pick a fist fight with PTA the next time he see's him.

"You think you're so fucking, cool don't you? With your steadicam shots and fucking multi-colored gels and tracking shots and shit. You ain't shit! I could do that, too! *pushes PTA* do something. I'll kick your ass, man! You ain't shit! I'll fucking do it, man! Don't push me! I don't start fights, I just finish them. omg, don't push me!"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Yeah, I think that was posted in the CMBB thread a week or so ago. It's always interesting to hear Quentin's thoughts about others work.

Also, this from the IG thread really piqued my interest.

Quote from: bluejaytwist on August 22, 2009, 11:41:12 AM
my household has recently become friendly with everyone's (least?) favorite eli roth and he mentioned that no one on this earth has quentin's ear like pta. did anyone else notice twbb influence in the first chapter and a few spots throughout?

apparently the card scene in chapter three was the one thing after cannes that everyone hassled qt about for being way too long and when they did qt went bill macy/magnolia diary on them "you fucking cocksucker, that is ptas favorite scene, he told me to leave it exactly as is and he's right and its perfect etc etc"

anyways, love your show
ill hang up and listen, thanks
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

yep, it's posted somewhere. I agree with his review, especially about the weakest part of the film being the performance of the preacher

Gold Trumpet

It's such a stupid review. He basically talks about what he likes in the film, but instead of making much meaning about those things, the only context he can give is some vague references to older filmmakers and films. The praise is mainly a rundown of his basic impressions of the film. The one time he mentions an original idea is when he says the film is a metaphor for the beginning of capitalism. It's a curious statement and requires explanation, but there is none. A real reviewer would know an original idea like that about the driving force of the film would be the centerpiece to their review, but Tarantino mentions it on a whim and so I have to believe it's more a statement for Tarantino to repeat than a real thought.

Yea, I know it's a taped interview of him verbally reviewing the film and it would be different than a written piece, but he could have done a better job if he means what he says about his critical talents.

Gamblour.

It's not the headiest review I've ever seen, just him talking like a normal person about the things he liked about the film. Don't think it's meant to be taken so seriously. I actually disagree about Paul Dano, because if he was as comparable of a powerhouse as DDL, I don't think you would feel how weak he is in the final scene. Dano is sort of wispy and stringy and pathetic the whole film, and when he lashes out it always feels desperate.
WWPTAD?

matt35mm

The idea of the film being a bit about the beginning of capitalism isn't an original idea.  It was discussed in many reviews and was, as Tarantino says, obvious.  He mentioned it only to say that he didn't want to talk about the obvious stuff such as the film as a metaphor (but not really a metaphor) for the beginning of capitalism.  That's what I remember him saying anyway.

socketlevel

Quote from: Pozer on August 18, 2009, 01:44:06 PM
that review just shows that he cant review better than critics.

all it takes is honesty to be a good critic, not posturing.  i feel he was honest about his observations, which were insightful considering the venue he had to relate with. he's giving intros not seminars, take with a grain of salt guys. part of the showcase is that he gets to play projectionist for everyone, which is kinda fun imo.
the one last hit that spent you...