The Conformist

Started by SoNowThen, September 14, 2003, 02:33:53 PM

Gold Trumpet

Here's an interesting post at IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065571/board/flat/6561062 (last post at bottom)

"Yesterday I spoke to someone at Paramount who would know and he expects the release by this August (2005). He said the film has been remastered and that one scene that Bertolucci originally cut has been restored in context. I'd never heard of this missing scene, but I think my contact called it "the blind man scene."

Legally, the issue has been the question of owenership: I didn't retain all the details but after Gulf + Western (whom he called Engulf + Devour) bought everything up and then sold it again, the rights were impossible to sort out, further complicated by some tiny Austrian investor in the film who had certain rights. Sigh. Long story short, the work has been done for a remastered, subtitled, DVD release. All that remains is the release itself."

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetGulf + Western (whom he called Engulf + Devour)
that's a Silent Movie joke..

lamas

i'll believe it when i see it.  those posts on IMDB are always so full of facts.  and by facts i mean shit.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetone scene that Bertolucci originally cut has been restored in context. I'd never heard of this missing scene, but I think my contact called it "the blind man scene."

That's a hilarious scene. Marcello goes to a blind people's party with his best friend, and then one (blind) guy speaks out against the government, so the other blind people stomp him.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I don't think this will be the uncut international release everyone is hoping to see, but on July 9, TCM is showing a letterboxed print of The Conformist. I think everyone should check it out. I definitely will.

modage

i hated it.  so i'm interested to hear a defense.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

lamas

modage

i dunno.  there was just nothing for me to grab onto.  i didnt say it was terrible, it just wasnt something i could relate to/care about/get into AT ALL.  i could barely make it to the end.

lamas

this film desperately needs a crystal clear digital transfer so themodernage02 can marvel at the cinematography.  you WILL become a fan.

samsong

of all the reasons why the film needs a remastering (desperately, at that)...

FooBoy

I hope this gets a DVD release soon, yeah. I watched it the other night, a copy I downloaded. A very shitty copy, the audio gradually grew more and more out of sync which made it very distracting, even with subtitles. Problems aside, I liked it very much, I suspect it may be Bertolucci's best film.
->FooBoy

MacGuffin

From The Digital Bits:

Paramount has announced for release on 12/5 director Bernado Bertolucci's The Conformist: Extended Edition.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

A Matter Of Chance

...and there was much rejoicing.