Film Trailers

Started by Recce, February 07, 2003, 10:43:14 PM

Xixax

Quote from: godardright now, the best trailer that i can think of seeing is 'The Man Who Wasn't There' - it was so good, i watched it too much and knew the lines for the scenes of the movie that were in it, it was a little weird
That happens all the time with kids movies. They show the trailers on TV non-stop, and the kids learn 4-second blurbs of music and song. Then, when you're sitting in the theater to see the whole thing, the kids all start singing along for the 4 seconds on music that they know.

Annoying as hell.

I need to stop seeing all these kid movies. I should hire a babysitter to take them or something.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

When I was working in the projectionist's booth, I memorized all the words to the Ghost Dog trailer.

Dendy

Buffalo '66 trailer is among my favorites.

Something that really pissed me off was the Magnolia "So Now Then" music used in the trailer for the new friggin' Mandy Moore movie.  Who does she think she is?

Am I wrong?
"The Dude Abides"

MacGuffin

Quote from: DendySomething that really pissed me off was the Magnolia "So Now Then" music used in the trailer for the new friggin' Mandy Moore movie.  Who does she think she is?

Am I wrong?

I highly doubt that Ms. Moore cut the trailer herself. And since New Line is releasing her film as it did "Magnolia", they have the rights to use whatever music they want from their library of films.

See for youself. Click on pic:

Also, "Waiting For Guffman" and "Best In Show" lovers. Click on poster for trailer:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Oh man, I love watching good trailers. I'm such a nerd. I always do my own little previews with a couple of my favorite trailers, before I watch a DVD. They always make me want to watch a movie. Some people are really fucking good at making them. They made horrible trailers back in the 60's and 70's, they were so freaking long, everyone of them was like 3 minutes at least. Some of them show little bits of every single scene in the movie. There's no mystique to them at all, I'd say a lot of those are the worst trailers I've ever seen. Anyway...

The best trailers for awesome movies....

-25th Hour
-Adaptation
-Almost Famous
-All the Real Girls (can't wait to fucking see it)
-Amelie
-American Beauty
-A Clockwork Orange (a great old trailer)
-Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
-CQ
-Do the Right Thing
-Edward Scissorhands
-George Washington
-Jackie Brown (Pamela Grier is...Jackie Brown!)
-Magnolia
-The Man Who Wasn't There
-Pulp Fiction
-The Royal Tenenbaums
-Punch Drunk Love
-Requiem For a Dream
-The Shining
-They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (another one of the few great old trailers)
-Three Kings

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyI loovve talking about trailers (and I love cutting them too...any indie filmmakers want a trailer cut?)

My favorites (that I can think of right now)

THE SHINING (definitely the best)
Dark City
American Beauty
Clockwork Orange
Psycho

Recent trailers that were really good include The Ring teaser trailer, The Comedian and X2.

The trailer that I remember being the most pissed off at was for The Messenger. It was just a stunning trailer...and then the movie was such a let down. I was upset.

It would be so cool if you could cut a short little trailer for this 10 minute film I'm shooting in april. It would be cool if you could cut a 30 second teaser or something man. Just for my own enjoyment, it's not like I'm sending it into a film festival or anything. Let me know if your interested and maybe we can do that.

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin

Awesome trailer... thanks Mac... I love Christopher Guest, I'm convinced that in between films, he just sits in some cabin somewhere thinking of funny shit to say in his next film.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateI'm planning on organzing a boycott of theaters that show commercials in front of the trailers.

Someone is beating you to it, RK:

Lawsuit Against Ads Before Movies

CNN reports on an effort to get commercials eliminated before movies in theaters:

High school teacher Miriam Fisch wants those four minutes of her life back -- and she thinks Loews Cineplex ought to pay for their alleged theft.

In a class-action lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on behalf of all Loews patrons, the Chicago-area English teacher claims the theater circuit's policy of playing pre-film product commercials amounts to a deceptive business practice because the ads begin at the time advertised as the start of a feature movie.

The legal action reflects the reaction of many moviegoers jarred by the increasing prominence of onscreen advertising in theaters industrywide. In fact, the succession of such pre-movie ads now often lasts up to 10 minutes or longer in many venues.

Even many proponents of the trend say cinema advertising is best limited to a few minutes prior to the advertised showtime, but that often isn't the case. Part of the problem involves the time required to clean theaters between showtimes, which can leave too little time to present commercials before the advertised movie time.

"It is completely ludicrous to have moviegoers pay good money to watch commercials," said attorney Douglas Litowitz, who is representing Fisch in her suit. "They can do that at home for free."

The suit seeks "lost time" damages of up to $75 per plaintiff covered under a class action, as well as an injunction to force Loews to stipulate separately when its onscreen ads will run and when movies will play.

Litowitz said he may target other big chains with similar suits in the future. "We feel the most people would be best served by going after the biggest chains," he said.

Rest of article here, including a poll:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/20/film.movieads.reut/index.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

Some guy has filed a suit against the theaters in my area. I think his argument was false advertising because he claimed that the movies should start at the time specified instead of having to sit through all the commercials.

Duck Sauce

I think it is a bit overboard but necesary to get them to start the shit on time.

RegularKarate

Well, I'm glad something's being done, but I don't like this tactic.  It's just going to look like another Frivolous law suite.  Like that guy that sued the theater because his movie started late.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned boycotts?

©brad

The commercials kind of piss me off. Why don't they play them continuously before the film time starts for people who get there early. I rather watch a couple more trailers in place of the commercials.

Jeremy Blackman

Lots of stuff about this in Ebert's latest Answer Man column.

"If I were faced with 20 minutes of paid advertising before a movie, I would simply walk out and demand my money back. Commercials are fine when they underwrite TV or subsidize newspapers, which could not exist without them. But when I pay for a ticket, I am personally subsidizing the screening, and resent being made into a captive victim. I received an avalanche of mail on this subject, and cannot understand why advertisers would want to attract hostility toward their products by deliberately offending potential customers."

Derek

Something had to be done. If a lawsuit it requires, then a lawsuit it shall be. It's irritating to watch these commercials, especially 20 minutes of them and ESPECIALLY if you go to a lot of movies. Theaters are really starting to take customers for granted with their high ticket prices, high concession prices, sloppy technical presentations and these ads. By the time the movie starts, you're so pissed off, its hard to relax and enjoy it.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Jeremy Blackman

Favorite trailers: The Shining (elevator), A Clockwork Orange (William Tell), Magnolia (teaser).