Period pieces

Started by metroshane, October 15, 2004, 03:38:45 PM

metroshane

How do you feel about period pieces?  I find myself writing alot in a retro style set anywhere fromt he 20's thru the 60's but don't know how well they really play.  There are some great pics during those times...but they weren't period at the time.  Take Casablanca or the Seven Year Itch.  Great piece of history, but contempory at the time.  You have some quality retro films like "curse of the jade scorpion" or " Down with Love" or the like...but they never seen to garner main stream success.   Are you limiting your appeal...or is it really 'about the story'?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

reelistics07

I guess it depends on how well it communicates to the audience it seems like a lot of people who make period pieces just do it to satisfy those audiences who may feel a sort of nostalgia since they grew up in that era. But the goal would be to make a piece in that time because its necessary, the way the characters talk is how they talked, the places they go are they places people would go. And the situations kind of relating to other things going on around that time. Look at all the period pieces that just work because they couldnt be set in any other time, like, driving miss daisy, or forrest gump, and almost famous.

gabe