Gregg Mariotti - cigarettesandcoffee.com

Started by Mr. Brown, November 20, 2003, 07:43:46 AM

ono

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Duck Sauceflash isnt good for informative sites like C&C, keep is plain, simple and open, like macs

...you can mix flash and html.
But just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Personally, I hate when sites use Flash.  It's so incredibly annoying.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Duck Sauceflash isnt good for informative sites like C&C, keep is plain, simple and open, like macs

...you can mix flash and html.
But just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Personally, I hate when sites use Flash.  It's so incredibly annoying.

For a site like the one discussed, flash is best not used b/c it's a site that is based on repeat visits.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

aclockworkjj

sorry, but you guys don't know what you are talking about...I agree that flash load times and all flash sites piss me off.  But I would bet you have visited some flash/html sites and not even realized it's a flash interface you are using.

It depends on the designer...some over do the shit outta flash, some know exactly where to use it and it works...even for an "informative site".

kinda like the steadicam...haha.

kotte

Quote from: aclockworkjjkinda like the steadicam...haha.

EXACTLY like the steady... :)

ono

Quote from: aclockworkjjsorry, but you guys don't know what you are talking about...I agree that flash load times and all flash sites piss me off.  But I would bet you have visited some flash/html sites and not even realized it's a flash interface you are using.

It depends on the designer...some over do the shit outta flash, some know exactly where to use it and it works...even for an "informative site".

kinda like the steadicam...haha.
Heh, sorry, but I do know what I'm talking about.  I worked as an Internet programmer for about four or five years, and worked on a book on XHTML as a technical reviewer.  Flash isn't accessible (meaning, you can't use a keyboard or other accessibility device to access its content most of the time), it's slow loading, and it's invasive.  Not to mention it's a nuisance on par with MARQUEE tags, BLINK tags (remember those things?), animated gifs, and music that automatically plays when you load a page.

And Paul Thomas Anderson makes good movies.

aclockworkjj

sorry, I guess I was assuming people have heard of this modern day invention called a mouse!  

we can swamp big dick resume bullet points if you want, but my point is: flash can be effective if done correctly and not worn out to dealth.  It's not a coincidence that Macromedia happens to be taking over the cyberworld.  I am also looking at it from a purely design side, not a programming side.  As I don't know shit about programming.  So chill out and realize my tone was poking fun of more than literally saying "you don't know what you are talking about, you big dumb fucko!!"  

christ, I was joking about re-designin' C&C to begin with.

ono

Quote from: aclockworkjjsorry, I guess I was assuming people have heard of this modern day invention called a mouse!
Sorry, but when you come across saying other people don't know what you're talking about, you tend to put people on the defensive.  I was trying not to be, but you can't really tell a person's tone too well through text.
Quotewe can swamp big dick resume bullet points if you want, but my point is: flash can be effective if done correctly and not worn out to dealth.
That was hardly my point.  My opinion is simply that it's never effective in conveying content, because content is mostly textual.  And the reason Flash fails in doing that is it's graphic in nature.  It's perfectly fine for animations and stuff, but it has a hard time doing text stuff because of its lack of, well, malleability, for lack of a better word.

And Paul Thomas Anderson still makes good movies.

Weak2ndAct

This could be the nerd-liest pissing contest I've seen in a while :wink:

coffeebeetle

Flash websites can be effective, as JJ so eloquently stated.  There's nothing "invasive" or bothersome about a site which has some visual flare added to it; granted, there are some sites which overdo the living shit out of the features Macromedia provides, but for there are also many sites out there that stick in your head lonnnnng after you leave them, and what's so bad about that?

P.S. I'm designing my site in Flash btw
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

And Paul Thomas Anderson makes good movies.

rip-off!!!
context, context, context.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaMy opinion is simply that it's never effective in conveying content, because content is mostly textual.  And the reason Flash fails in doing that is it's graphic in nature.
..that why I said you can mix the 2 elements together (flash and basic html).  I don't like reading text in flash either...thus I am agreeing.  You can have flash running in the background (so to speak) and still present informative text that you all are used to seeing in a plain text email (persay)...here is an example...I have to look at that garbage all day long, makes me wanna puke.  

Quote from: Weak2ndActThis could be the nerd-liest pissing contest I've seen in a while :wink:
haha, i know, we are nerds

soixante

Please, keep it simple for us Luddites.  I'm still using the same browser I've used since 1998.  I don't want to upgrade every six months.  I'm still using the same version of AOL since I first bought my computer in 1997.
Music is your best entertainment value.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: soixanteAOL
you are already fuct...no matter what happens...hehe.

Duck Sauce

Pozer

Quote from: Weak2ndActThis could be the nerd-liest pissing contest I've seen in a while

HAHAHAHAHA  HEE HEE