KB B&W Trauma

Started by Something Spanish, October 12, 2003, 04:26:42 PM

Something Spanish

I went to see Kill Bill last night. I have not anticipated a film this much since Punch-Drunk Love, and that is a movie I KEENLY anticipated; counting down the days and all the other neurotic shit that movie-geeks suffer. Tarantino was GOD to me back in '94 when Pulp Fiction was released. Anyway, I saw Kill Bill last night with 2 friends equally obsessed with the hype and a packed crowd (midnight showtime) in a well-suited theatre.

The subject I really want to address is the fucking heart-attack I nearly had during the Crazy 88 battle...when the footage turns B&W. First off, never before have I been so pumped (I was shaking for christ's sake) for a movie sequence in film history. All was going well (The Bride calling O-Ren Ishii out...) until the B&W stuff kicked in. I felt gipped and deprived! It was like taking candy away from a baby. I could barely pay attention.
The movie just looked...so ugly. I WANTED TO SEE THE BLOOD, GODDAMMIT! I remember seeing little clips of this sequence from the trailers, which were in color, then seeing them in B&W and was so horrified and shocked it was difficult to revive from this coma.

I dunno. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of this. I'm seeing it again tonight. Hopefully my reaction will be different. We'll see...

I know BANKY, from the xixax forums, pointed this out somewhere. Am I over-reacting, or did anyone feel as I did?? Speak now motherfuckers, or forever hold your piece.

Sleuth

Yes, you're overreacting, and it's your fault that your expectations were so high
I like to hug dogs

smash

I think I too would've preferred the scene to be color...but its not like that destroys the whole movie itself.

Something Spanish

I never said it destroyed the whole movie. I was saying that it was difficult to concentrate from that moment forth.

And tremolosloth, yeah. Maybe my expectations were a bit high for that sequence. I look forawrd to seeing it again tonight buddy.

©brad

u don't know what ur talking about. the b&w rocked.

Quote from: Shaun DigiI never said it destroyed the whole movie, you stupid faggot. I was saying that it was difficult to concentrate from that moment forth.

u kiss ur mother w/ that mouth? we got sum nasty ass ppl up in here, geez.

smash

Whoah, calm down their buddy.  Sorry, I just assumed since you made a topic about it that it disrupted your overall enjoyment of the film.  Hot damn.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: ©badu don't know what ur talking about. the b&w rocked.

Quote from: Shaun DigiI never said it destroyed the whole movie, you stupid faggot. I was saying that it was difficult to concentrate from that moment forth.

u kiss ur mother w/ that mouth? we got sum nasty ass ppl up in here, geez.

I concur, the B&W was totally appropriate, IMHO.  B&W overused, many could agree, is a little cheap.  But it just pops into the fight and, for me, enthralled me more.  And then when the lights went off and it was blue in the background...MARVELOUS!

I enjoyed it all so much and can't wait to see it again.

I don't know why I kept your quote abuot faggot and the reply to it, oh well.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

i loved the b&w.   end of story.

Ghostboy

Please keep inappropriate slurs out of your posts, Shaun Digi. Anyway, I hope the DVD has the fight in color, just so we can see what it looks like -- but I think it was a good choice for the movie, just because it keeps the visual element fresh. It was in the script from the first place, too, so Quentin definitely intended it to be that way. Also, half the stuff in the b/w sequence would have had to be cut if it were in color.

smash

Quote from: GhostboyPlease keep inappropriate slurs out of your posts, Smash.
I'm assuming you mean Shaun Digi, correct?

Ghostboy

modage

Quote from: smashWhoah, calm down their buddy.
Quote from: smash

no, he didn't.  better think twice before you go calling people "buddy" again.  sheez.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyAnyway, I hope the DVD has the fight in color, just so we can see what it looks like -- but I think it was a good choice for the movie, just because it keeps the visual element fresh. It was in the script from the first place, too, so Quentin definitely intended it to be that way. Also, half the stuff in the b/w sequence would have had to be cut if it were in color.

I would have preferred to see the blood flying everywhere.  If the MPAA was riding his ass for that scene, I understand, but if it was something he intended, I sort of question the decision. (what, I'm questioning the director?)

The MPAA should keep the target audience of a film in mind when rating a film.  If you are going to buy a ticket to Kill Bill, you probably won't be disgusted by rivers of blood.  Who do they think they are looking out for, the grandmother who takes her little granddaughters to see the next Tarantino film?

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: smashWhoah, calm down their buddy.
Quote from: smash

no, he didn't.  better think twice before you go calling people "buddy" again.  sheez.

You mean b***y.  But that could also be "Banky."

Gamblour.

I loved the black and white, I thought it was funny actually. Prior to it, you get to see what the blood's going to look like, you get a taste of how fucking cheesily awesome it will be. When it went black and white, it felt like it was saying, "You can't handle this. Even the film can't stand being this red." I dunno, maybe I have a weird way of thinking about this (I am having a lot of trouble describing what I felt). But overall, I loved it when that happened.
WWPTAD?

bonanzataz

i just saw it tonight and i didn't really notice it was in black and white until my friend asked me if tarantino wanted it to be like that or if he had to to get the r rating. then i'm like, oh, black and white. but i thought it was cool.
in fact, the whole damn movie is fucking cool. i haven't enjoyed a movie like that in a long long time.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls